Tragic emotional scenes in British comedy

2»

Comments

• Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing that before. Its quite something, that look down the lens.

Also from The Fast Show was the last scene of Ted and Ralph, after the funeral of Ted's wife, as they walk of together in the distance and just as the scene ends to cut away, Ted's legs give way but Ralph catches him. It was so touching after all the laughs.

Brilliant acting and writing by Paul and Charlie.
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    A recurring sketch in the Fast Show.
    The chap appeared in a short sketch most weeks. Just sitting in the chair drinking and telling some story or other. He always ended his often incomprehensible stories with 'of course I was exceedingly/ awfully/ terribly drunk'.

Thanks again. Ha ha, I remember myself being awfully incomprehensible while being exceedingly drunk.............:D
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birdcage wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll look that up. But, that scene in the link, was it a part of a drama or just a one off?

It was just one of the Fast Show sketches. There's more information about Rowley here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/characters/rowley_birkin.shtml, and quite a few of his sketches on YouTube.
  • Options
    BirdcageBirdcage Posts: 6,499
    Forum Member
    Muggsy wrote: »
    It was just one of the Fast Show sketches. There's more information about Rowley here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/fastshow/characters/rowley_birkin.shtml, and quite a few of his sketches on YouTube.

Thanks Muggsy :)
  • Options
    blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://youtu.be/dXzGsJqmkic?t=32m44s

NOt really tragic, but very poignant as they break the 4th wall!
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Nana's death in The Royle Family. Not tragic as such, but poignant. We've all been there with our elderly relatives. I thought it was a great episode, and Sue Johnston especially was superb. The bit where she was combing her mother's hair was just... :cry:

Agree.
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Nana's death in The Royle Family. Not tragic as such, but poignant. We've all been there with our elderly relatives. I thought it was a great episode, and Sue Johnston especially was superb. The bit where she was combing her mother's hair was just... :cry:

Beaten me to it >:( lmao at your reason for editing! :D:D:D
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Americans can do it too, people from my age group will know this Fresh Prince of Bel Air scene

http://youtu.be/bxulantPiXI
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    bbclassics wrote: »
    I'd nominate the one where they go on a day out in the country and Victor somehow gets lost. He finds a house, which turns out to be a care home (for the elderly) where he discovers they are abusing the residents. The first time I saw that (as a kid) it quite shocked me, though the boss/staff members do get their comeuppance.

I remember that one. That was so well done & when they got their comeuppance, I cheered. :blush:
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Americans can do it too, people from my age group will know this Fresh Prince of Bel Air scene

http://youtu.be/bxulantPiXI

Oh if we're bringing American shows into this then the story of Seymour the dog from Futurama has to be included. The show could easily have ended with a joke after Fry chose not to bring back his fossilized dog, but instead you get the punch in the heart of seeing the dog grow old and die waiting for him.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite sitcom, dinnerladies, is full of them.

Bren's difficult relationships with both her mother and Tony providing many of them.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Oh if we're bringing American shows into this then the story of Seymour the dog from Futurama has to be included. The show could easily have ended with a joke after Fry chose not to bring back his fossilized dog, but instead you get the punch in the heart of seeing the dog grow old and die waiting for him.
    Oh Futurama has plenty of tearjerker moments.

Leela meeting her parents for the first time and just watched an recent episode where Fry enters his mother's dream. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Futurama has plenty of tearjerker moments.

Leela meeting her parents for the first time and just watched an recent episode where Fry enters his mother's dream. :(

The one where Fry's trying to find his leaf clover from his brother is quite touching.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There were some moments in Green wing – particularly the last episode of season 2, with Mac’s diagnosis & the proposal that wasn’t to be. Then in the special they did, Joanna & Alan’s suicide attempt.
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Red John wrote: »

Exactly what I thought of. Paul Whitehouse is amazing so what the hell's going on with those tedious,painfully unfunny insurance ads?
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were quite a few sad moments in One Foot In The Grave - I remember the scene where they were lying in bed discussing their son who had died (although the how and why was never given). And of course the final episode, with Victor dying - that made me cry. Particularly as he was so disappointed that he thought nobody had shown up for the planned reunion, and then you see his mate shuffling along to meet him. Beautifully done, but too sad for me to watch more than once.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last every episode of Two Pints, Donna hinted that she may have a lie threatening illness and in spite of that Gaz, who was planning to travel round the world, still left her at the airport and presumably boarded his plane and it ends with her breaking down :(
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Not so much tragic but - The Office - Dawn and Tim, especially from 2:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXVIXf_OSRQ
  • Options
    Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Not tragic, but certainly emotional.

The Extras Christmas special monologue.

Gervais is brilliant at those little moments, like Brent in the Office "Please...don't make me redundant."