Castle Season 7 (US Pace)

2»

Comments

• Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cuty Pie wrote: »
    Not sure where to put this so I've added it here.

I asked Alibi when S7 would start in UK bearing in mind that S6 started in January 2014, although previous seasons have started in March. Their reply:

"We will be showing Castle Season 7 but there is no confirmed date as of yet. Due to legal and contractual reasons we do need to stay a certain period of time behind the episodes shown overseas before we can show them."

What a load of twaddle. Many other countries, Spain and India for two, are already showing it, so why can't Alibi?

Do not even start on UK rights with me. I spent THREE WEEKS trying to get an answer fromiTunes UK about just when season 7 would be available to UK users, eventually it came down to Alibi playing silly beggars with everyone. BUT they still deny it is anything to do with them, although they do admit they are showing it in 2015.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHHH
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind unobtrusive product placement, such as how everyone in Grimm seems to have Apple products.

I don't like, but can put up with, brief but obtrusive product placement, such as how people in Warehouse 13 or White Collar would stop to talk about a feature of their great new <brand name> car.

But now Castle has done even worse than that, with something I don't think I've seen before: A bizarrely awkward and out of place musical number whose sole purpose seems to have been to promote a new single from "Call Me Maybe" singer Carly Rae Jepsen.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    I don't mind unobtrusive product placement, such as how everyone in Grimm seems to have Apple products.

I don't like, but can put up with, brief but obtrusive product placement, such as how people in Warehouse 13 or White Collar would stop to talk about a feature of their great new <brand name> car.

But now Castle has done even worse than that, with something I don't think I've seen before: A bizarrely awkward and out of place musical number whose sole purpose seems to have been to promote a new single from "Call Me Maybe" singer Carly Rae Jepsen.
    Yes it was embarrassing seeing them both trying to dance in the wings to her song. It felt like a filler episode.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's felt like a filler season...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having seen 7:23, got to say if Stana isn't coming back full time, that would have been a nice place to call it quits.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stana has tweeted that she's back for Season 8. Interesting that she's cited the reason as having talked to the new showrunners

http://tvline.com/2015/05/12/stana-katic-returning-castle-season-8-new-contract/

.. certainly suggests she may well not have been happy with the direction of the show.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stana has tweeted that she's back for Season 8. Interesting that she's cited the reason as having talked to the new showrunners

http://tvline.com/2015/05/12/stana-katic-returning-castle-season-8-new-contract/

.. certainly suggests she may well not have been happy with the direction of the show.

I have been having the same discussion with a fan in the U.S. Seems to be a bit of a consensus, maybe Stana didn't get on with Amann and co and held out to see who was doing what.

With ABC head saying he wants Castle (and Greys Anatomy) to continue for a while might be interesting to see just how demanding she gets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    I have been having the same discussion with a fan in the U.S. Seems to be a bit of a consensus, maybe Stana didn't get on with Amann and co and held out to see who was doing what.

With ABC head saying he wants Castle (and Greys Anatomy) to continue for a while might be interesting to see just how demanding she gets.

Yeah, it's even more interesting considering the many rumours about Fillion also being difficult on set and demanding, and seemingly receiving, a reduced workload in the form of a 4 day week.

How much longer could a show like that continue if the two main leads are basically behaving like divas ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's even more interesting considering the many rumours about Fillion also being difficult on set and demanding, and seemingly receiving, a reduced workload in the form of a 4 day week.

How much longer could a show like that continue if the two main leads are basically behaving like divas ?

But Nathan signed up in April, so I think we get who is acting like the real Diva.

But this workload thing with Nathan is annoying, he moans about his main role then dashes off to do guest spots or voice overs, then last close season he spend a month at conventions, flying all over the U.S. etc

Both of the main stars are not helping themselves. IMHO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just finished off Season 7. I get the impression they knew at the time Katic hadn't committed to the new Season so played it safe. Could easily have been a series finale I suppose.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, there are rumours that Season 8 could only be 13 episodes though.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/castle-stana-katic-return-as-794989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casting news for Season 8 - Penny Johnson Jerald not returning as Gates. And judging by her announcement, not her choice either.
    "To my Castle fans around the world," the update read. "As of late yesterday I am surprised and saddened to learn that I will no longer be a part of the Castle family. Thank you all for your support and love. Hugs from PJJ."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/news/a650081/castle-star-penny-johnson-jerald-wont-be-returning-for-season-eight.html#~pealFm7vq8M1hF

I must admit though, Gates had grown on me somewhat and in the end I didn't mind her, although that said, I probably won't miss her either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not pleased with Gates going, wonder what has caused this 'tweaking' of plots or whatever it's being called.

I have my suspicions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hamlet77 wrote: »
    I am not pleased with Gates going, wonder what has caused this 'tweaking' of plots or whatever it's being called.

I have my suspicions.

Coming so soon after the "issues" with Katic re-signing with the show, it does make you wonder doesn't it ?

The conspiracy theorist in me would certainly say that PJJ being let go was one of the conditions of her returning.
  • TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad about Gates, she grew on me since she joined the cast.

Wonder if she was due to be paid more if she was re-signed?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming so soon after the "issues" with Katic re-signing with the show, it does make you wonder doesn't it ?

The conspiracy theorist in me would certainly say that PJJ being let go was one of the conditions of her returning.

I wouldn't go that far cos it's taken the producers or whoever a heck of a long time to inform PJJ. I suspect they have taken their sweet time deciding Beckett's 'character growth', which seems to have been Stana's excuse whenever asked about carrying on in the role, and that meant Gates had to go.
  • RedRoseRebelRedRoseRebel Posts: 1,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were mentions during the season about her career and wanting to be captain so i guess she will take over from Gates?

Shame really, she seemed to be one of the few that could keep Castles ego in check
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to have to stop reading the UK paced thread. I just want to scream all the time.

Am I being naughty having to bite my cyber tongue every time I read a new idea on Rick's missing two months crops up. I am so tempted to put fans out of their misery and tell them the explanation was truly epically catostrophically awful.

Maybe fans can enjoy the show again then
  • Cuty PieCuty Pie Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    They are both Divas or Prima Donnas now. You only have to read the captions to the pictures she posted on Instagram at the end of last season "My Prop masters, etc. "My camera guys etc" hardly the words of a team player. Neither will mention the other or give any credit to them "My Co-star or my colleague", she will never use his name. and when was the last time you heard Nathan refer to Stana at all? Why will they never have publicity photos together, let alone appear together on a chat show. Compare them with the the cast of Bones for example.

Stana has not done a commentary on the DVD extras since "Cuffed" (Ep 410) and she hardly allowed any outtakes of her in the Series 6 DVD, mind you there was a pretty vicious clip of her in the Series 5 DVD when she stamped on Nathan's foot hard in her high heels when he accidentally poked her while they were tied together in a scene. Not very nice behaviour and a demonstration of her attitude towards him. I am sure she did not appreciate that behaviour being shown. It it is difficult to enjoy the Casket lovey dovey scenes when you are aware of the friction between the actors in real life.

I think David Amman was forced out, his episodes were usually pretty humourless (3XK was his creation for example) so under his influence the 7th series was not as light and as much fun as previous ones, but I certainly think it was not a coincidence that his departure was announced on the same day that Nathan signed for the new season. I noticed he was not at the Writers' table in 723.

Stana (or her management) were clearly holding out for the best deal possible, again her comments on Instagram seemed to suggest she was not expecting to return, it also seemed to me that she played a subsidiary role to Castle in the 7th Series and was not the dominant player of previous series.

It was pretty clear that Beckett was going to take over the Captain's role, so the departure of PJJ was not really a surprise. I also thought her character was much less interesting than that played by Ruebin Santiago - Hudson in the first three series. It would have been better if she had been written out at the start of the next series rather than her announcing that she would not be returning, rather spoils the transition.

I hope that TPW and AH as new showrunners will bring back some of the lightness of earlier seasons. I like to think they might re-employ some of the previous writers as well. Three of the female writers left at the end of the season and they need to be replaced.

I used to love this show but I am afraid I do not get nearly as much enjoyment from it now. Lets hope everybody recognises the failings and takes appropriate action.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch this show but jesus 2 leading stars who hate each other that much? Add to that difficult on set and diva behaviour? This sounds worse than than the Julianna/Archie fiasco on The Good Wife!
  • telecattelecat Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    If Beckett is promoted to Capitan then that follows Niki Heat's progression in the New Book so perhaps not unexpected. As for the "Friction" I do not think there is anything serious. Both have differing private lives and basically only "work" together. I think we also see a lot of this gossip relating to long running shows as the schedule is pretty frantic so things tend to blow up and cool off rapidly. I also keep wanting to scream at the UK pace thread. Some of the episodes this year were "treading water" but no more than usual. I also felt "Sleeper" was a bit of a rushed ending. But Ryan's episode, "The Time of our lives" and the P.I. episodes were rather good as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    telecat wrote: »
    If Beckett is promoted to Capitan then that follows Niki Heat's progression in the New Book so perhaps not unexpected. As for the "Friction" I do not think there is anything serious. Both have differing private lives and basically only "work" together. I think we also see a lot of this gossip relating to long running shows as the schedule is pretty frantic so things tend to blow up and cool off rapidly. I also keep wanting to scream at the UK pace thread. Some of the episodes this year were "treading water" but no more than usual. I also felt "Sleeper" was a bit of a rushed ending. But Ryan's episode, "The Time of our lives" and the P.I. episodes were rather good as well.

Ooh you don't want my theory about events in the Nikki Heat books predicting things in the TV series, cos if you think about and have a rather anally retentive knowledge of both, rather a lot of events in the books are reflected in the TV series AFTER the books have done them.

Of course the crimes in the books have similarity to the cases on the show, for example the first victim in Raging Heat is straight from Secret Santa, but the other way round.
    Curious that.
  • telecattelecat Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Watching The Season 1 to 7 Box Set It is amazing how many times "THAT" Ornament is prominent on Becketts Desk. It is never ever referred to either. I gather that Rook And Heat turn up in the "Derrick Storm" Series now as well. I only picked up that "Castle" revived him after watching the Deleted scenes from Season 4.