3D do you wish they'd go away

metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
Forum Member
✭✭
What is your opinion of 3D films.

More and more directors seem to be saying they'll never make another movie not in 3D, but it seems to me from movie forums (including this one) that the general consensus of the paying public aren't really that bothered about it.

Personally I prefer 2D but on occasion have gone for the 3D option for rear I'd miss out. The only film I thought 3D added too was Avatar (for without it, it would have been just a cliche ridden mediocore sci-fi film)

It always seems to take about 30 minutes of the film before my eyes adjust to wearing the glasses and still it darkens the picture.

So what would you like? 84 votes

Stop all 3D films, so you don't have to choose
32%
ZeuskoantemplationCLL DodgeEllie666cheeksrivercity_rulesJEFF62nilocBlood101CELT1987[Deleted User]IggymanKidMoeVolmetanoiaspindiddlytinyangelchimpsy23[Deleted User]RedSnapper 27 votes
Keep it as is, but always have a 2D option
55%
VerenceMuttley76JCRCaveman643THOMO[Deleted User]GB-UKUltraVioletScooterwolfSAKNorfolkBoy1LudwigVonDrakejohn176bramley2shy2007kp2ni[Deleted User]Sniffle774halstationCBFreakfmradiotuner1 47 votes
You wouldn't mind if all movies were 3D
5%
Alrightmatefastest fingerCallous[Deleted User]zelda fan 5 votes
You never go to the cinema so don't care
5%
[Deleted User]Inky BinkyAndy Birkenhead[Deleted User]Wynne Evans 5 votes

Comments

• Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3D is a waste of money. Causes a sore head. In my case it just doesn't work AT ALL.

All i ever hear is people complain. I've heard a handful of people claim it's brilliant, and it's the same two or three people that occasionally post in this section.

Plus, the cinemas are practically forcing people to pay the extra dosh. It's getting rather difficult to find certain showings in 2D.

We're being robbed, imo. Darker than dark picture, hardly anything in half the films to properly showcase the 3D. Total shambles.

Avatar is the only thing they should bother with.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like 3D.

I'm not a fanboy or anything, but when 3D is done well it can add something to an image that 2D can't.

I'm perfectly fine with it.
  • CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really like 3D when it's done well...but it rarely is (animated is usually far better than live action IMO)

I've been enjoying viewing films on my 3DTV far more than 3D at the cinema....largely because many of the flaws present at poor 3D cinema set-ups can be eliminated (there's certainly no reason for films to look darker if contrast and brightness levels are set correctly for 3D viewing). I think a 16:9 format is far better for 3D as well (bordered widescreen just reduces the impact).

I will agree it's a waste in most films...but I also think that's because most directors only seem to want to include slight 3D effects (probably due to motion sickness concerns).

Personally I say if you're going to make a film in 3D..then go all out with it. Throw in gimmicks, throw in masses of depth and pop-out, have crazy motion sickness inducing scenes....otherwise just make it 2D.

The half way house that so many directors use now doesn't please either the 2D or 3D audience.
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont like 3D and always go for the 2D version. So as long as that is availble I dont really care.
  • hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think there should always be the option for 2D. Personally 3D gives me a headache and I find the colour drains from the screen too much. There are those that love it - so make certain screens perfect conditions for 3D and those who would rather not bother, so give us decent screen times too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hate 3D.

Which always surprises me as I do like a bit of surround sound. Why am I happy with "3d" audio but not picture?
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't care about $D but they should keep a 2D option
    I watched Avatar on Blu Ray the extended version and its stunning in 2D on my 50 inch plasma.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    In the past I was not bothered because there seemed to always be a choice, so it was a waste of energy moaning in my eyes, but now I bloody hate the trend because there have been a number of times where I have missed out on seeing the film at the cinema because the cinema offers only the 3D version of the film - Dredd is the latest one for me and I'm frankly getting sick of it. :mad::mad:
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing I dislike about 3D is the glasses. I hate the feeling on my nose.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    An absolutely dreadful concept. They should declare a national holiday all over the world the day it's dropped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted "I wouldn't mind if all movies were 3D", but only because I don't think every movie needs to have a 2D version for the luddites. I saw Avatar in both 2D and 3D in the cinema and the 2D version was vastly inferior. What I'd prefer is a situation where studios could exercise self control and only use 3D in a movie if it has been designed from the ground up to be so, like in Avatar's case, not added in as a money-making afterthought.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    jy1541 wrote: »
    I voted "I wouldn't mind if all movies were 3D", but only because I don't think every movie needs to have a 2D version for the luddites.

Not all are Luddites. Some have problems with headaches and some have only vision with one eye. Also some object to it costing more. It's not all a whinge against "progress" and some of the complaints are quite valid.

Until those issues are sorted out, then I think 2D needs to stay. Also not all films are improved by the distraction that's 3D, even if some can be enhanced.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    An absolutely dreadful concept. They should declare a national holiday all over the world the day it's dropped.

This!!!

3D is awfuland adds not one single thing to the cinema experience.......well maybe distraction, darkness, headaches blah blah blah!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    All the big blockbusters are in 3D nowadays, but they never seem to get it right. 3D is nothing but a gimmick and it should be used like one. It thrives on popout moments, but the film makers shy away from it these days and just use it to add some visual depth to their pictures. But when I go watch a 3D movie I exspect objects coming right at me: monsters grabbing at me, people holding guns right into my face and other stuff sticking out from the screen. That's why so many of the late 3D movies still look so flat and add nothing to the overall cinema experience.
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy them.

There will always be a choice between 2D and 3D.

Let those who enjoy 3D enjoy it, and stop whinging about something that you have a choice over.
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vashetti wrote: »
    I enjoy them.

Let those who enjoy 3D enjoy it, and stop whinging about something that you have a choice over.

Hmmmm, The choice that limits 2D showings that finish before the evening and leave you with only 3D showings if you fancied an evening visit to the cinema with your friends......

Yeah, that's a great and fair choice :rolleyes:
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing i've definitely noticed. 3D fanboys are quite rude and snappish.

I didn't have a choice when i wanted to see Fright Night, Deathly Hallows 2 and most recently, Dredd, in 2D. All 3D only for the times we were out (no 2D at all for FN, anywhere). So stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Vashetti.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes 3D is overrated and I hate how some shots are just so that they can do something for the 3D effect, such as throwing knives at the screen. :rolleyes:

It's just a gimmick for the film companies to make more money. It doesn't add to the film.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to prefer 3d at home usually because of poor set up at cinemas resulting in lack of screen colour and dull picture. Whilst at home tv adjusts setting automatically for 3d resulting in crisp lean vibrant picture. There is always going to be poor quality 3d but this is usually in a poorly made film anyway. Titanic in 3d was awesome on the tv.
    I also think it depends on your own vision as if you already wear glasses havering to put another pair on top can be uncomfortable as I have good vision this does not effect me but I do understand why others find it uncomfortable.
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved 3D when Avatar first came out but then after that 3D started being used in pretty much every single movie and I got sick of it and went back to viewing in 2D. I voted to have both 2D and 3D screenings option available.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I'm with Mark Kermode on this one.

I won't see anything in 3D; I hate it and spend half the time taking the glasses off etc - it takes me right out of the film.

Even my eldest who's six would rather see a film in 2D too.

A pointless addition solely added to counter piracy imo.
  • threecheesesthreecheeses Posts: 23,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought is was sad when 3D was stopped years ago (I went to see the really bad Jaws 3D in the 80s, I wasn't around for the ones in the 50s ;)) and they didn't make any more of them, apart from IMAX ones and wished they would come back.

They seemed to have returned in an abundance after an initial trickle.

I think that there should be an option for some films but I can see why they were stopped in the first place now.
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a fad that has been trotted out every couple of decades since the birth of motion pictures. It's 'the future' for a few years and then people start to realise that a crap film with all stuff coming out of the screen is still a crap film and a good film is a good film whether or not stuff comes out of the screen and stop paying for 3D so it's put back on ice.

We then spend a few decades laughing at the thought of people sat in stupid glasses reaching out to touch things that aren't there and dodging non-existent missiles before they drag it out again and say "no, this time it's really, really good. You'll never be able to watch a film any other way. Honest guv!" and we start the whole cycle again.
  • UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member

You are wrong, not all cinemas offer both versions so people have a right to moan about it.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I dislike 3D but give people the option.