Danny dyer - debut Eastenders

2»

Comments

• Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Shane Ritchie has been playing Alfie Moon on and off for 10 years now.I don't think Shane Ritchie is the best actor in the word but he knows his character inside out. He should be a natural by now.

Last night was Danny's first scene. I can't comment on his acting. He wasn't particularly impressive but he wasn't particularly bad either.

He never is, he is so OTT and muggy all these years later.
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He never is, he is so OTT and muggy all these years later.
    I'm not saying he's natural actor. I don't think he is but I do think he is a natural in the role of Alfie Moon. I mean he is practically playing himself. ^_^ :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Great post. I haven't yet seen yesterdays episode and was trying to stay away from here, so I wouldn't find out anything about it, but I still had to read!
    I doubt anyone could recreate Den, in fact I think it was more the actor making Den, rather than the writers....

Going by what the posts say, the new landlord is going to be less Dirty Den, and more like a slighter harder versión of Alfie.........yawn.

I agree - those aggressive verbal attacks always seemed to be coming from the gut, and he was able to machine gun from the hip and leave people stunned by his verbal tirades. He may have been following a script, but Leslie Grantham was Den, and so right for a backstreet East End boozer.

But then when it suited Den he could turn on the chat and the charm. Den took risks all the time, but he was also a survivor. He always had a plan, and usually came out on top. I know he was difficult in real life, but I think the BBC seriously underestimated his value to EE.

I like Max, I think he has some of Den's characteristics (the scripted character, and also the actor). Max screws someone over (often Tania) but by the time he's finished his pitch, he turns himself into the victim. Good actor imo. I would like to see Max and Tania back together - I also think Abi is really well played, for someone so young she is a brilliant actor, as well as looking like Tania's young double.

You didn't miss much from Danny Dyer - it was a smile and a one-liner.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He only had his first few scenes last night and I thought he did a reasonable enough job. We haven't seen how he interacts with his family yet and he hasn't had a big dramatic scene yet to really show off what he can do. I get the feeling I'm gonna love him though - he's the breath of fresh air that the show needs.

I too, hope he's not a carbon copy of Alfie, always jolly behind the bar etc. I hope he has a dark side, as well as a soft side.
  • Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    If anyone has the spirit of Den in them these days, it is definitely David anyway.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am familiar with Danny Dyer's work and he's not all about speaking like a gangsta from the east end, he is also very good at emotional scenes. He did kind of look out of place though, kind of surreal
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He gets the Miss Walford seal of approval. I do reserve the right to remove the seal at a later date though , if he starts declining. ;-)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I actually liked him last night!

Same. I'm going to watch Eastenders now:D Plus he's got a new film out, Vendetta;-)
  • mandead88mandead88 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone has the spirit of Den in them these days, it is definitely David anyway.
    Absolutely.

Danny Dyer is... dire, but there have definitely been worse soap actors (they're ten a penny) so it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

I just hope the Mitchell era at the Vic is well and truly over now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mandead88 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Danny Dyer is... dire, but there have definitely been worse soap actors (they're ten a penny) so it'll be interesting to see where this goes.

I just hope the Mitchell era at the Vic is well and truly over now.

If only they were cheap! He's probably picking up an arm and a leg for his EE role.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    It was his first scene, it takes a while to settle.

But if he is an acting god as some people seem to be making out, he shouldn't need any time to bed in.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny said he was very nervous filming his first scenes as the pressure of being in EE hit him. I wonder if his scenes last night were his first? EE films out of sync so its hard to judge but he seemed quite nervous to me. Once he settles in he will be fine I'm sure. I remember Jessie Wallace used to pull weird face movements when she first joined. She ironed them out after a while!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But if he is an acting god as some people seem to be making out, he shouldn't need any time to bed in.
    I don't think anyone is claiming he is a acting god. I haven't seen anyone say this but he has made a name for himself in the british film indusry.

He is a real coup for EastEnders for that reason, not for his acting.

His acting has opinion here pretty much divided.

I haven't see him in anything apart from those few scenes last night, which isn't enough to judge him on.
  • kenny7kenny7 Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

To be honest, I've hardly seen anyone claim he's an acting god.
  • Bill_JamesBill_James Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    I'm prepared to give him a chance tonight. Didn't really see much of him last night, so I couldn't really give an opinion yet.

He does not seem right for the part to me. The other problem is pubs are no longer the hub of the community . The old wet trade pubs have all but disappeared. THey need to turn it into a gastro pub
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought he was good, but then I know Danny Dyer (not personally lol) and he really seemed very suited to the role. I thought it was a suitable and practical introduction, and look forward to seeing what happens from this point onwards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like that his introduction was subtle. He didn't dominate the drama.It appears that EE has learned from the mistakes they made with Sharon's return. No one cared about her son (which we didn't know from adam) go missing in the middle of the heather reveal drama.

Keeping Mick's scenes short and small was pitched just right. We need to get to know him, his family and see what makes him tick before he's thrown into a huge storyline.

I personally think for his first year the character is going to polarise opinion, pretty much like Michael Moon. He is not going to be loved by everyone, at least not instantly.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've seen Danny in a couple of things and I think his acting is going to be great. He hardly had two lines together last night so I don't think we can say much about Mick as a character etc. until tonight where I think he'll talk more!
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    I personally think for his first year the character is going to polarise opinion, pretty much like Michael Moon. He is not going to be loved by everyone, at least not instantly.

I remember how much people hated Michael for a good six months - I will always remember the amount of abuse he got when I started his appreciation thread on here. A lot of people really disliked him.
    I have started an appreciation thread for Mick and there are a lot of positive comments so far :)
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,267
    Forum Member
    Yes it was nice that he wasn't introduced as part of a duff duff, I wasn't really taken in by his performance last night however it's still early days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    The only thing i seen DD in is Straightheads film with Gillian Anderson..it was good :blush:, and i still got it on my recorder to watch again..good film, but can't take to him in EE yet :o maybe its too early to decide if i like him
  • linc52linc52 Posts: 1,780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought he was great love the whole family