2 litre Coke bottles no more?

stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
Forum Member
✭✭
Seriously, just looking at the supermarkets and all they have are 1.75litre bottles. It's only coloured water FFS!. I expect this with chocolate bars but a quarter of a litre of my favourite drink vanishing. >:(

Pepsi it is then.

Comments

• rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Seriously, just looking at the supermarkets and all they have are 1.75litre bottles. It's only coloured water FFS!. I expect this with chocolate bars but a quarter of a litre of my favourite drink vanishing. >:(

Pepsi it is then.

Really? I still see piles of the 2 ltr bottles at the super market. The only place that sells coke I don't see them is my local corner shop, they've moved to the smaller ones.

Even if they did it wouldn't stop me, nothing would make me go to pepsi, even if Coca Cola stopped trading I'd rather go cold turkey than drink pepsi, but that's just me :D
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesco and Asda don't have any 2 litre bottles. I wonder is Iceland still sell the 3 Litre ones, I dropped one at the counter once, exploded everywhere. So embarrassed, haven't been back since. :blush:
  • Fred SmithFred Smith Posts: 3,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Asda last night. 1.75L 3 for £3, 2L £1 each. Guess which I bought four of:)
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fred Smith wrote: »
    I was in Asda last night. 1.75L 3 for £3, 2L £1 each. Guess which I bought four of:)

Same but I got five :D
  • NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sainsburys here still have loads of 2l bottles, they're selling 'em at the same price as the new 1.75l ones. I bought a few earlier.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/fmcg/indie-fury-as-coke-175l-bottle-format-goes-into-supermarkets/354315.article
    The contoured bottle was introduced a year ago as an exclusive to the convenience channel.

But last week, CCE announced it was replacing its two-litre ‘straight-wall’ format in supermarkets with the 1.75-litre bottles claiming more shoppers are doing small basket shops more often in the supermarkets.

Obviously one of those excuses to sell smaller bottles for the same price (after the initial promo price).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ideally, people should boycott the 1.75l bottles if they are going to be sold at the same price as the 2l bottles (once all the 2l bottles have sold out)

But it wont. The docile public will just accept another product diminishing in size yet being sold at same/higher price.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi have 2 x 2 lt bottles for £2.75.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must admit I would feel very sad and nostalgic if they got rid of the 2 litre bottles - been part of my life for many years. :( Never got into smaller sizes and contoured bottles - it's coke not bloody art and always gives the impression of being ripped off.

The 3 litre bottles have always looked a bit mutant for me to buy though. ;-)
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ideally, people should boycott the 1.75l bottles if they are going to be sold at the same price as the 2l bottles (once all the 2l bottles have sold out)

But it wont. The docile public will just accept another product diminishing in size yet being sold at same/higher price.

I expect Coca cola can afford outlast the average fatties willpower.
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where do you get 3 litre bottles? i've never seen them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

supermarkets, cash and carry, plenty of places have them.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member

Iceland and Farmfoods are two places that sell them
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Tesco still has 2L bottles but it has Cherry and Vanilla Coke in the 1.75L ones. I can happily drink Coke or Pepsi though and just buy whichever is cheapest at the time.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just got a voucher from Tesco telling me to love the new size - don't think so. Think you can buy me off with 50p, bah!!

Iceland do home delivery now, woo hoo!! Last time you could only go pick it up at the store, 3x3litre Coke for £5.00, best value around. Throw in a few curries and I think my next shop will be there. :D
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never drink coke, but use it to clean my jewellery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »

don't know why, you are better off using baking soda
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »

Yawn Yawn...Another poster who has get all high & mighty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm more a Pepsi fan anyway but still see 2lts Coke in my Tescos and Iceland.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,204
    Forum Member
    The explanation of how people are doing smaller basket shops doesn't make sense as a 2l bottle isn't that much bigger than a 1.75l but you're basically getting a glass or serving less. Grrrr.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Starting to see this in my local supermarkets yet another con.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst this is obviously a bit of a con, I wonder whether there is some inadvertent logic to it.

I've always had a problem with 2L bottles of carbonated drink, unless you're going to be consuming all two litres in 'one helping' as it were.

You use a third, or half of the bottle for example and by the next day (2 days at the latest) it's all flat and undrinkable.

I'd have thought this effect would be even more pronounced with a 3 litre bottle! :o (not that I've ever seen one)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Whilst this is obviously a bit of a con, I wonder whether there is some inadvertent logic to it.

I've always had a problem with 2L bottles of carbonated drink, unless you're going to be consuming all two litres in 'one helping' as it were.

You use a third, or half of the bottle for example and by the next day (2 days at the latest) it's all flat and undrinkable.

I'd have thought this effect would be even more pronounced with a 3 litre bottle! :o (not that I've ever seen one)

The larger sizes aren't meant for houses where only one person drink it, they are for households where multiple people drink it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in a supermarket and we reduced all our 2l bottles to clear a few weeks ago. They're almost all gone now. No customers have asked about why we only have the 1.75ml

I think I'm glad they've stopped the 2l bottles as we always used to have a glass or so left in the bottle which would go flat. But as soon as the introductory offers have ended I hope the prices don't go up too much, don't want to pay the same price for less product
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smaller 'footprint' bottle means you can get more on the shelf...then start charging more.

That's why they're phasing out the 330ml cans for 500ml bottles. Can end up charging nearly double for the bottle, without double the filling.

Economics and money grabbing.