Options

My beautiful girl PTS today

HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Am on here now whilst she's asleep next to me. And just trying to get my head round the enormity of this, as she has been my constant companion (I work from home) all day for 12 years. She was 2 when I got her from a breeder, who had kept her in a cage in a garage.

My little girl (bull terrier) is 14 and finally, it's time to go. This last month she has been ravenously hungry, eating like a horse but gone so thin. She was diagnosed with dementia several years ago and has been maybe a few months since she seemed to recognise any of us, and months since she wagged her tail, even feebly. Being a bull terrier, she doesn't show pain and we aren't sure whether she is in pain or not but as well as losing weight dramatically this past month, she has started being sick a lot and is not continent any more. I think she has been 'gone' for some time. She doesn't know where she is or who we are. We have loved her so much.

I tried to call the vet's to book it this morning but just couldn't. My husband did it from work and she is going in at 5 o'clock. She loathes the vets as she had serious eye operations when she was little. (She is also blind and deaf). Despite all this she had a good quality of life and seemed happy in herself right til recently. I feel cruel letting her go and cruel keeping her alive. Have had dogs all my life but never loved one like I love her.

The kids are all having a lie in (last couple of days of holiday) but I have to go and wake em up now and tell them. My oldest son was home at the weekend and he told us he thinks it is time, too.

It seems unbelievable that later today, she will be gone. We had hoped she would go gently in her sleep, at home, but no.

Don't know why I am posting as sympathy isn't really needed - she is probably one of the oldest mini bulls ever, she had a good life, she is loved, she's been everything to me and the kids. I don't want to tell my older son or friends who have known her for years til she is gone as it seems so heartless taking her to a place she won't leave, at 5 o'clock. I can't believe she is going, today. It doesn't seem real.

Comments

• Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so sorry, I know how incredibly hard it is. I always think that it's the final act of kindness we can do for them and the price we pay for all the love they've shown us.
    My vet always says that they seldom make it easy for us by drifting away at home so we have to find the strength to help them when the time is right.

When we let our little one go I booked her in and then cancelled as she rallied a little but then was bad overnight so I had no choice the next day.
    Hope she goes peacefully in your arms, loved to the end xxx
  • Options
    queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big hugs Hog (((((((((((((())))))))))))) :cry:

Stay strong (if you can) for the kids, make the most of today. I'm sure she knows she's loved and it's because you all love her, you have to let her go for her own good.

Will be thinking of you xx
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's been less than a month since I had to have my poor old Murphy put to sleep.

He wasn't much of a fan of the vet himself, though in his old age and having had Cushings for 4 years requiring regular blood tests he had become better. But on the day I took him I think he knew it was time before I did. As I had hoped he wasn't as ill as he seemed, it was a bit of a shock to realise that the kindest thing was to let him go. I waited until the ex had brought youngest son to say good bye but he barely realsed they were there.

I took him through once they had set up and I have to say it was very calm and peaceful. Very respectful. Murphy didn't react to the clippers or needle and just stopped breathing after a moment or two.

It was awful losing him - I'd had him since an 8 week pup, first saw him at 4 weeks and he would have been 17 years in November. He was older than my youngest son. But I'm glad I was there. I'm glad I saw how peaceful it was as I had been worried he would react to the needle. I'd been in a bit of a state before but once he'd passed I was calm knowing he was at peace and free of pain.

It is a difficult time but you are doing the right thing showing her a final kindness. xxx
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am so sorry to read your post Hogzilla. I bet you are dreading the clock ticking today.

You say you don't want sympathy, but you have it. You have it in bucket fulls. I have had to have 3 beloved pets PTS and its heart breaking. But what you did for your baby is wonderful - taking her in as a rescue and loving her. What more could a dog want ?

I wish you and your family well, and I hope you will remember the happy times. Big love to you all.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Sounds rather hollow but remind yourself that you've both had the best possible time together and she wouldn't have wanted to spend her time anywhere else so you've got nothing to be sad about.

Be strong for her when you're at the vet'. Try not to let her know there's anything serious going on.
    What she needs now is a peaceful rest.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Be strong for her when you're at the vet'. Try not to let her know there's anything serious going on.
    What she needs now is a peaceful rest.

I wish I could have taken that advice when I had to put my babies to sleep, but I was a blubbering mess. I lost all self control and just cried like a baby. I wish I could be strong.
  • Options
    maybemaybe Posts: 4,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really sorry :(

Wishing you strength
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear you've got a difficult afternoon ahead Hogzilla - losing a long loved pet is never easy, but I'm sure you know in your heart that it is the right time to say goodbye.
    She sounds like she's had a very happy life.

Sending you virtual hugs - make sure you're kind to yourselves over the next few days/weeks while you adjust to life without her.
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugs x Be strong x
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear that I hope all goes peacefully and easily. And after you have time to look after yourself as you will need it.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very sorry to read your sad news, ((((Hogz)))) will be thinking of you later :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinking of you Hog.
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(

sorry to hear this. Hope things are somehow OK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, thanks all. The words of strangers are strangely comforting.

She went quickly and peacefully. It was unbearable, as all of you who have been there, know. The vet let us stay in the car with her til the very last minute, as she always hated going to the vet's and that helped. Vet didn't ask many questions - just because of her age, am guessing. Just took it for granted it was time.

I was in pieces - she was my baby, really. The really horrible part was the kids having to say goodbye - my grown up two babysat the younger two so they all stayed home. That was just grisly. My 19 year old whose dog she sort of was, was very calm and together but the moment I went out with her, heard him running upstairs. The older son, autistic so the dog was his life, was more together than me today and he's been cuddling me all day. The two little ones have been in tears on and off all day.

It is so surreal now - she is not in her usual spot on the sofa. She'll never be anywhere, ever again. When we got in, I washed up her bowls and my husband has been hoovering up her moulty ginger hair, so it won't be so hard for me tomorrow. It doesn't feel real. My late dad had bull terriers for most of his life and when he was too old to have one anymore, mine was like his proxy bullie. When he was dying, and paralysed, I took the dog to see him one last time and held her up so he could see her and say goodbye which really, really moved him - he loved dogs. She was the last one he ever saw. So it feels like a whole part of our lives has gone.

Thanks all, for letting me vent and for your kind words that do help.:kitty:
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad it was peaceful. I think that really helps.

It is surreal to begin with. I was fine for days, told everyone who needed to know. Then I told a colleague who'd moved to another office and for no reason I was utterly sobbing.

Grieve however you need to & be kind to yourself xxx
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Oh how sad. They leave such a huge, great big hole when they leave us. One day at a time, Hogzilla.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quote I found

Although it’s difficult today to see beyond the sorrow,
 may looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.

Thinking of you Hog and your family xx
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,110
    Forum Member
    thinking of you and sending lots of love xx
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so very sorry. From the first day we bring them home with us, we all know we'll have to face this day but it doesn't make it any easier. Love your family and let them love you. Best wishes.:(
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for your loss. X
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks again, all. Yes, the day I got her I just went to "look at her" and it was mutual love at first sight. When the breeder got her out of the kennel she literally ran into my arms and was a total mummy's girl ever since.

Needless to say; I came home with her (she was two when I got her from the breeder). And as Wolfsheadish says, from the day you bring them home you know the day you have to take them to be put to sleep, might come: you have to accept that.

I feel a bit better about it this morning - am now certain we did the right thing for her. If she'd died at home it might not have been in her sleep and it might have been traumatic. This way was peaceful. Everyone's words here have really helped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hogs I am so sorry to hear about your baby. Thinking of you and your family. x
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reading this thread has put a lump in my throat :-(
    Having not experienced this (yet) I have no advice, but would like to wish you and your family well xxx
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god, this is hard to read. Nothing breaks your heart quite as much as letting a much loved pet go.

When we had our old girl PTS she went very quickly and the vet said she had been ready. I found that comforting. It let me know we had made the right choice, just as you have done.

Love to you and your family.
  • Options
    Fuchsia GroanFuchsia Groan Posts: 3,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    My god, this is hard to read. Nothing breaks your heart quite as much as letting a much loved pet go.

When we had our old girl PTS she went very quickly and the vet said she had been ready. I found that comforting. It let me know we had made the right choice, just as you have done.

Love to you and your family.

It's two and a half years since I had to let my little furry friend go, and this thread still has me in tears at the memory of it.

My thoughts are with Hogzilla - the pain of losing the little being with whom you had the closest, most trusting relationship is unbearable.

The little beggars tear you apart - but aren't they just wonderful, and aren't we lucky that we have been open enough with another species to experience what joy there is to be had in forging a relationship with them.

Many people never experience that - to them, they are 'just animals'. Little do they know........