Freesat or Freeview Recorders.

2»

Comments

• chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1TB = 1 terabyte = 1000GB.

The Humax HDR 1000S is probably the best option. You can get the 500GB version for £209 from Richer Sounds

http://www.richersounds.com/product/digital-set-top-boxes/humax/hdr1000s-500gb/huma-freesat-g2-500g

or 220ish from John Lewis or Currys. For a tenner more you can get the 1TB version from Amazon.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    enna_g wrote: »
    Just to add to my previous post. Having a look through Freesat models and and not sure which is the best model. Also what does 1TB mean?

I would like a Freesat Box 300 to 500 GB hard drive HD that records 2 channels where you can also watch a recorded one at the same time. One that has freetime but with ethernet connection not wifi. In the lower £200 price range. I m not too bothered about the most recording time as I usually delete the recording after I have watched it. Also one that doesn't have problems.
    Any suggestions please, and thanks to all for your help.

1TB (terrabytes) is 1,000GB (gigabytes) so just a bigger hard drive to store more on.
  • enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    1TB = 1 terabyte = 1000GB.

The Humax HDR 1000S is probably the best option. You can get the 500GB version for £209 from Richer Sounds

http://www.richersounds.com/product/digital-set-top-boxes/humax/hdr1000s-500gb/huma-freesat-g2-500g

or 220ish from John Lewis or Currys. For a tenner more you can get the 1TB version from Amazon.

Thank you very much I have been going mad looking at all the various models. There is a store about 20 minutes drive away, so when the wind dies down I will go and have a look rather than get it delivered.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just set up the Humax box and it works well. Even managed to get something shown earlier. It seems pretty easy to use and I have set up recordings.

However I have a query. I also have an aerial connection on my TV for Freeview as well as satellit connection for the Humax box. Freesat does not show the Drama channel and sometimes I watch it. So is it possible to go into mode on the TV remote go into DVB then watch Drama on Freeview - it will be in SD as TV is HD ready. Can I then go back to HDMI on mode for TV and get my Freesat without any problems or losing my channels or recordings. Loathe to try it as I don't want to cause problems, so some advice would be good. Thanks.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,508
    Forum Member
    I have just set up the Humax box and it works well. Even managed to get something shown earlier. It seems pretty easy to use and I have set up recordings.

However I have a query. I also have an aerial connection on my TV for Freeview as well as satellit connection for the Humax box. Freesat does not show the Drama channel and sometimes I watch it. So is it possible to go into mode on the TV remote go into DVB then watch Drama on Freeview - it will be in SD as TV is HD ready. Can I then go back to HDMI on mode for TV and get my Freesat without any problems or losing my channels or recordings. Loathe to try it as I don't want to cause problems, so some advice would be good. Thanks.

Of course you can, they are in no way connected to each other, and it's perfectly normal.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    I would look for a DVR with both Freesat HD & Freeview HD built in as standard,

This should be the minimum all DVR's should have.

There must be some available.

If I were to switch from pay TV thus us the least I would ask for, I would then want
    > ALL 4 of the main catch-up players,
    > Hopefully wifi,
    > USB
    > apps
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    I would look for a DVR with both Freesat HD & Freeview HD built in as standard,

This should be the minimum all DVR's should have.

There must be some available.

If I were to switch from pay TV thus us the least I would ask for, I would then want
    > ALL 4 of the main catch-up players,
    > Hopefully wifi,
    > USB
    > apps

No chance, have you actually done any research ? :eek:

Your PVR does not exist and bearing in mind the competition G2 Freesat (satellite)) and Alan Sugars Youview (terrestrialplatform) you may wait a very long time (possibly for ever :eek:)

Your only option is a HTPC computer with the appropriate cards. Strictly for the enthiast and knowledgable users.

All your choices rely on a user friendly epg that is dedicated to the platform, if you want your requirements you need more than 1 box.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course you can, they are in no way connected to each other, and it's perfectly normal.

Thanks - just tried it and all ok. :) Freeview working well even though the aerial is hanging on by a thread after the storm. Trying to get someone to come out and fix it is proving to be a bit of a problem as they keep putting it off!
    I like this machine but it seems reading the blurb that it doesn't record if you have it on standby - sure this can't be right as I always put on standby when I go to bed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - just tried it and all ok. :) Freeview working well even though the aerial is hanging on by a thread after the storm. Trying to get someone to come out and fix it is proving to be a bit of a problem as they keep putting it off!
    I like this machine but it seems reading the blurb that it doesn't record if you have it on standby - sure this can't be right as I always put on standby when I go to bed.

All newish pvrs (excepting some Sky boxes) will wake from low power standby (sub 1W -0.5W on newest boxes) to record.

It's a EEC requirement that they must have this capability to save energy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it referring to the Low Power stand-by mode perhaps? It's possible that that mode does kill scheduled recordings. But if you dive into the set-up menus it should be possible to disable that mode. It might be called something like Power Saving or the like.

In low power mode virtually the only part of the unit that is vaguely alive is the remote sensor so that you can wake it up again. So quite possible the rest of the electronics are dormant and it can't wake up enough to make a recording. In "normal" stand-by it should be capable of making a recording though.

All you can do is disable the low power stand-by mode, schedule a test recording then put it in to standby and see what happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it referring to the Low Power stand-by mode perhaps? It's possible that that mode does kill scheduled recordings. But if you dive into the set-up menus it should be possible to disable that mode. It might be called something like Power Saving or the like.

In low power mode virtually the only part of the unit that is vaguely alive is the remote sensor so that you can wake it up again. So quite possible the rest of the electronics are dormant and it can't wake up enough to make a recording. In "normal" stand-by it should be capable of making a recording though.

All you can do is disable the low power stand-by mode, schedule a test recording then put it in to standby and see what happens.

Every Humax PVR ever made will record from low power sby with the possible exception of the Youview unit which has a load of different sby options. It's illegal to sell a new pvr that won't record from a sub 0.5W condition. Even Sky have now had to conform to this requirement after years of prevarication.

EEC regulation 1275 dating from 2008 refers.
    Forum Member
    Even Sky have now had to conform to this requirement after years of prevarication.

So are you claiming the new WiFi boxes will record from low-power standby, and consume less than 0.5W?.

I've no idea if it's true or not, but I've never heard it suggested before - and of course as it's NOT classed as a PVR the EU legislation wouldn't apply anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are you claiming the new WiFi boxes will record from low-power standby, and consume less than 0.5W?.

I've no idea if it's true or not, but I've never heard it suggested before - and of course as it's NOT classed as a PVR the EU legislation wouldn't apply anyway.
    The low power stand-by regulations apply to pretty much every device that plugs into the mains. So DO apply to Sky boxes.

So it is therefore compulsory under the regulations that they have a low power stand-by mode. But that does not mean they have to come out of low-power mode to make a recording.

It might be slightly dodgier ground if they stay in "high power" stand-by when a recording is scheduled however.

Regulations here

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:32008R1275:en:NOT

Annex 1 lists the devices it applies to. Note no exemption for Sky boxes :)
    Forum Member
    Annex 1 lists the devices it applies to. Note no exemption for Sky boxes :)

Why would they need one?.

They have a low power mode which fully meets the regulations, as it's not classed as a 'PVR' (because it can't record without subscription) there's no requirement for it to record from that state.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They have a low power mode which fully meets the regulations, as it's not classed as a 'PVR' (because it can't record without subscription) there's no requirement for it to record from that state.
    There is no requirement for Humax to make their PVRs record from stand-by either. It's not a condition of the regulations, unless there is something I'm missing?

It is within the regulations to use a timer to wake the unit up to perform some function. But the regulations do not define either the device with the timer nor the function it is permitted to perform.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the latest Sky+ boxes won't record from low power mode then that just sounds like they've found a technicality to weasle out of obeying the spirit of the law, in any real terms Sky+ is a PVR.

For the low power mode to be of any real use it needs to be possible to do scheduled records from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    If the latest Sky+ boxes won't record from low power mode then that just sounds like they've found a technicality to weasle out of obeying the spirit of the law, in any real terms Sky+ is a PVR.

For the low power mode to be of any real use it needs to be possible to do scheduled records from it.
    They haven't found any technicality though. They are simply choosing not to make use of the clause in the regulations that permits a device (any device not just PVRs) to wake up from stand-by to perform some function by means of a timer.

There is nothing in the regulations singling out PVRs or anything else for that matter. It applies to anything that draws power from a mains socket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

According to Dave Murgatroyd the latest firmware release allows suitable boxes to wake from low power sby to make recordings.