Jessie J no longer Bisexual

Comments

• cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Identified as bisexual? I thought the general thrust of the discussion was that you either are or you aren't? Why would anyone who IS bisexual be confused by someone else's sexuality?

When it comes to it, if you're bisexual and you really want - as almost everyone does - to eventually fall in love and settle down with one person, you're ultimately going to have to be either straight or gay, no? Jessie may have already met someone and may feel that this is it.

She could marry a guy and still fancy/be attracted to women, A married man can still look at and be attracted to another woman. These things don't stop because you want them too
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    She literally can not say anything without a flock of vultures coming to pick at her can she? She has never used her sexuality to sell anything other then her beliefs. It wasnt a 'lie' or a 'marketing tool', it was just in an interview years ago and all she said was she loves who she loves and won't have a label attached to her. She never even used the term bi-sexual. The song L.O.V.E is actually about her relationship with a girl and she doesn't sing it anymore because thats not part of her life anymore and she's being very honest about it which should be applauded rather than criticised. Is sexuality not open to change or evolution? She's started to realise that comments she made years ago have unfortunately been set in stone by the press and are used agaisnt her today is she ever contradicts herself and its shit if you ask me. Contradiction is just part of being human and growing up, she shouldn't be excluded from that just because she's in the public eye.

I honestly dont understand where all this Jessie hate comes

I don't dislike Jessie and I think she has a brilliant voice. She seems to be claiming that she was attracted to members of the same sex and now she is not. I'm just wondering how that can simply happen to her, but not to people who actually work at changing their sexuality.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's incredible that in 2014 some people still believe that if a bisexual person settles down with a member of the same sex, they have become gay, and if they settle down with a member of the opposite sex, they have become straight
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    She reminds me of the t.A.T.u lasses who strongly gave the impression years ago that they were both lesbians. They ended up being with a fella and having his baby.

They were never lesbians.

It was just a gimmick
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I think it's very much up to Jessie who she wants to date / marry / have kids with, but the way she's approached this 'stage' is very wrong. her PR people must be having an absolute nightmare week.

By stating in the media that she's previously dated girls (and i'm not bothered whether this makes her 'bisexual' or not) she's essentially admitted that she's had feelings for girls and acted upon them.

By now stating that she's interested in men only, is her choice. The way it's been said however, makes it seem as though if there was a girl she developed feelings for, that she wouldn't act upon these. This translates in my view as her almost trying to hide her past & being ashamed of the feelings she once had.

unless she's mystic meg and can forsee her future partners for the rest of her life, I think it was insensitive for her to say that she's never going to fall for a woman again. if she'd simply announced to the media that she had a boyfried/ fiancé / husband, yes the media would have had a great time showcasing them in the sidebar of shame, but it wouldn't have been blown into this badly managed media disaster.

as someone who would have described themselves as a fan of Jessie's, and who finds themselves in a similar situation, I for one will think less of her after this. Although I've read the statement through a few times, and understand the point she's trying to convey, the general tone of the press release comes across as condescending to the reader.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember when she was a judge on The Voice she would always go on and on and say things to the contestants like "Look, you need to pick me, I'm a a female and you're a female. I know what it's like being the only female surrounded by men". Me and my Dad used to watch her in hysterics. Someone needed to remind her that we're 2013 ad women have rights. She's just so outspoken and irritating and I don't understand why she feels the need to constantly shout her bloody views and opinions at us. The funny thing is, before she ever made it in the music industry she had a cult following on YouTube where she would post videos...she was completely different and her music was really, really good. Now though, her music is just bubblegum pop and she's as annoying as sin.
    Forum Member
    I remember when she was a judge on The Voice she would always go on and on and say things to the contestants like "Look, you need to pick me, I'm a a female and you're a female. I know what it's like being the only female surrounded by men". Me and my Dad used to watch her in hysterics. Someone needed to remind her that we're 2013 ad women have rights. She's just so outspoken and irritating and I don't understand why she feels the need to constantly shout her bloody views and opinions at us. The funny thing is, before she ever made it in the music industry she had a cult following on YouTube where she would post videos...she was completely different and her music was really, really good. Now though, her music is just bubblegum pop and she's as annoying as sin.

And now she is nice and straight and safe (publicly at least) She would sell her soul for fame/sales clearly
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    She literally can not say anything without a flock of vultures coming to pick at her can she? She has never used her sexuality to sell anything other then her beliefs. It wasnt a 'lie' or a 'marketing tool', it was just in an interview years ago and all she said was she loves who she loves and won't have a label attached to her. She never even used the term bi-sexual. The song L.O.V.E is actually about her relationship with a girl and she doesn't sing it anymore because thats not part of her life anymore and she's being very honest about it which should be applauded rather than criticised. Is sexuality not open to change or evolution? She's started to realise that comments she made years ago have unfortunately been set in stone by the press and are used agaisnt her today is she ever contradicts herself and its shit if you ask me. Contradiction is just part of being human and growing up, she shouldn't be excluded from that just because she's in the public eye.

I honestly dont understand where all this Jessie hate comes

This misstep is coming from someone who has a high opinion of herself and thinks she never does anything wrong. As soon as you decide to open up about your private life, and in her case the way she did it twice, you have to accept the possibility there will be criticism from some parties. Now, if it's her private lie and we should get over it - and I agree with that - why does she need to share it in the first place? And why does she need to be so patronizing by talking about a matter she clearly doesn't seem to have a clue about? Whatever she was saying that for starting telling people to be ok with their choices, when she spent the 3/4 of her statement ranting about being criticised is to me pointless and silly.

And criticising someone is not hate...!?
  • mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed. But the fact he was closeted for so long speaks volumes.

Don`t think he came out until the late eighties,long after his prime. It`s only his Candle in In the Wind song that was really massive or put him back on the map,as a camp curio rather than the serious artist he deserved to be treated as. Did Freddie Mercury ever actually come out until the late eighties also? David Bowie stated he was gay at the height of his fame (around his first Ziggy hit,so that was brave,1972ish) but like Jessie J he seemed to take it back --once he was twice married with a kid. I can understand the LBGT community being annoyed by celebrities like that.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what annoys me is the fact she is saying this was who she was 5/6 years ago well around 2010 was when she finished with kira just as she was becoming famous.
    this means for four years her entire career in the public eye she has been lying.
    saying she was bi using the lesbian/bi community to get record sales this in my book is really wrong if what she says is true she would have known she was now straight.
    I am bi and you can't just turn those feelings on and off sometimes they get weaker and you are more attracted to one sex for a while but they usually come back.
    I remember gavin rosedale of bush tried to make out he too was experimenting yet his relationship with singer marilyn was for five years some phase.
    years later he had to admit that they had gone out but has tried to play down their relationship maz even lied for him shows how far people will try and cover themselves.
    Also I remember when Jessie appeared on alan carr her exact words were I'm greedy I love it all back then she didn't care now people are saying she's gay.
    And guess what she's sick of it taking over her career so is going to be straight.
    The reason I brought up Kelly Clarkson is because she too like Jessie was rumoured to be gay and said now I'm married to a man they can't say I am.
    Kelly is from the south of the U.S and probably wouldn't sell as many records if they knew she was we don't know but I've always got that vibe from her.
    Jessie may be straight but I suspect otherwise the sex and the city quote was odd.
    As mentioned by another poster I suspect religion could have played a part maybe Jessie wants to be straight and ignore any gay feelings she has.
    so she's going to find a husband and kids after all any married celeb can't be gay can they a certain black married Hollywood couple have an open relationship.
    so it's all smoke and mirrors when it comes down to it I just feel there are many young teens who looked up to Jessie and will be heartbroken at her statement.
    I don't understand why she didn't just say I'm currently more interested in men.
    I wonder if that author chloe govan was telling the truth about when she researched the book has anyone read it?
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You bringing up Kelly clarkson is ludicrous. She has only dated men and the lesbian rumours about her were completely baseless and unfounded. I'm not surprised people get annoyed by people making assumptions about them and calling them liars. The thing with Jessie though is that she admitted to a relationship with a woman and is now calling it a phase. It's her sexuality so only she can know, but the way she has handled it is poor.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't she just say "I am bisexual, I have had a relationship with a men and women but now I'm looking for a man to settle down with". Then she wouldn't upset anyone. Surely the idea of being bisexual is you are freer, you have the ability to be with a man or a woman & she can choose whatever.

I accept bisexuals exist, I don't fully understand it because I'm not one but I would really appreciate and be interested in learning about it through any celebrities willing to put themselves out there, that would also healthily help a lot of people who are wanting to understand themselves and others. So this just sounds like someone wanting to tick all the right boxes to get some fans on side.

Hearing stuff like this just makes me feel like she wants attention in some way and I want to know less about her.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Jesse ever claims that she's bisexual again, she'll just end up making herself look stupid.
    Forum Member
    If Jesse ever claims that she's bisexual again, she'll just end up making herself look stupid.

Even more stupid... Stupider even if it is a word
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fans are 'heartbroken' because her dalliance with bisexuality was, she feels, a phase? How very, very odd. How many straight women had flings with other women when they were younger; how many men? It happens. It doesn't make her a liar.

A lot of the people on this thread seem to be confused as to what it is they want. They don't want labels to matter so much; yet they're adamant that Jessie pick a label and stick to it. Because she believes, as many people do, that a same-sex experience was a phase, she's a liar. Very, very strange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fans are 'heartbroken' because her dalliance with bisexuality was, she feels, a phase? How very, very odd. How many straight women had flings with other women when they were younger; how many men? It happens. It doesn't make her a liar.

A lot of the people on this thread seem to be confused as to what it is they want. They don't want labels to matter so much; yet they're adamant that Jessie pick a label and stick to it. Because she believes, as many people do, that a same-sex experience was a phase, she's a liar. Very, very strange.

The thing I find strange is your comments, to be honest. In this post you acknowledge that orientation and behaviour do not always match up i.e. a person's sexuality is not simply defined by who they are dating now and people who ID as straight may have had same sex relationships in the past. Yet in your previous post, you suggest that upon entering a monogamous relationship, bisexual people suddenly become straight or gay, so in that instance you want to define people by the gender of the person they're currently with and assume that their decision not to be with someone of a different gender somehow reflects a lack of attraction to that gender. That confuses me more than any reaction to what Jessie J has said, perhaps you can explain? I'd wager you haven't really thought it through, like most people who say that kind of thing, but bisexual erasure is offensive. It's as bad as if I were to say to you that you're not really straight and that everyone has some degree of same sex attraction. The thing is, in the same way that it might be difficult for you to imagine someone being attracted to both genders and that feeling persisting even after settling down with one partner; it's difficult for me to imagine that some people are only attracted to one gender. But I believe them when they say it, because I know that not everyone is the same as me. Anyway, I find it odd that you were interested enough to pose that question in your argument, but you haven't responded to the several replies you've had about it. You must've read them right? Cos you posted in the thread again, but down the same track of bisexuality being a 'phase' for 'many people'. The point about Jessie is that although she can say what she likes about her own sexuality, whether she likes it or not she is representing bisexuality and her comments have reinforced one of the biggest prejudices that people have against us. No-one is saying she can't comment on her own orientation, just that she could have been more careful to avoid the kind of language that people use to deny and diminish our collective identity. That kind of sucks to do that to a community that you once considered yourself a part of, especially when you've experienced the prejudice for yourself. But hey, the woman is irritating as **** and more than a few sandwiches short of a picnic, so if in time people stop associating her with bisexuality, I'll not exactly be crying my eyes out over the chance to be represented instead by someone who doesn't make me want to stick my finger in my eye and swirl it around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genetic predisposition to gender attraction has been established in everything from homosexual tsetse flies to gay alligators.

You don't stop being bisexual anymore than you stop being straight, gay or lesbian. It is pre-set, there is no reset button for it. Now I'm not saying people don't experiment during their sexual awakening period during the second stage of psychosexual gender fluidity in their teens and early 20s, that's very common, but this idea that you can stop being bisexual to me is just insulting and ignorant. She basically wants to euthanize the high horse she rode in on as some open minded, sexually liberated free spirited conqueror of adversity who can cross over all gender, genre and class barriers but that marketing didn't work so now she's going to act like a caucasian version of Eve but without the credibility given her new marketing gimmick makeover.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's incredible that in 2014 some people still believe that if a bisexual person settles down with a member of the same sex, they have become gay, and if they settle down with a member of the opposite sex, they have become straight

What's even more surprising is someone who claimed to be bisexual thinks that it how it works. Just sounds supremely ignorant and self serving to me.
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    Brave of JJ to go against the 'born this way' nonsense of certain sections of the gay lobby.
    Given that people who come out as gay are treated as being so brave that they virtually deserve a VC, I feel this brave act deserves recognition.

Dame Jessie J anyone?
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Brave of JJ to go against the 'born this way' nonsense of certain sections of the gay lobby.
    Given that people who come out as gay are treated as being so brave that they virtually deserve a VC, I feel this brave act deserves recognition.

Dame Jessie J anyone?

So you have something against people who are gay/bisexual?
  • trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »

Dame Jessie J anyone?

This post might be mildly funny if it wasn't for the fact Jester J courted press attention related to her then apparent bisexuality.

Maybe her album sales are going through a phase too? :cry:
  • CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,233
    Forum Member
    So you have something against people who are gay/bisexual?

No.
    Just amused that people say how brave it is to come out and be honest about your sexuality are attcking JJ for being honest about hers.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, in reality, she likes to drink from both cups, but she wants to settle down with a man. So what? In fact, whoever that man ends up being is a very lucky man indeed I say.
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You bringing up Kelly clarkson is ludicrous. She has only dated men and the lesbian rumours about her were completely baseless and unfounded. I'm not surprised people get annoyed by people making assumptions about them and calling them liars. The thing with Jessie though is that she admitted to a relationship with a woman and is now calling it a phase. It's her sexuality so only she can know, but the way she has handled it is poor.

It's quite common knowledge that Kelly used to date women before she was famous. There's even a news interview with her from long before American Idol where her and another woman are talking about how their house had set on fire, and Kelly is talking about all the things which had been burned. She gives a list of them, and says at the end '' Our bed.''

As a lesbian, I'd be pretty willing to bet a considerable amount of money that she's gay and severely in the closet. She always seemed to protest too much.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RuinedGirl wrote: »
    It's quite common knowledge that Kelly used to date women before she was famous. There's even a news interview with her from long before American Idol where her and another woman are talking about how their house had set on fire, and Kelly is talking about all the things which had been burned. She gives a list of them, and says at the end '' Our bed.''

As a lesbian, I'd be pretty willing to bet a considerable amount of money that she's gay and severely in the closet. She always seemed to protest too much.

Do you mean Jessie or Kelly Clarkson? I think they are both in the closet. As a hetereosexual female I can see it. Why not accept it. Its not like we are in the dark ages. Is she Jessie is saying that she is no longer gay or bi because she wants to have children? Well she can have children and still be proud of her sexuality.