Options

Clarkson being offensive again - gets in real trouble this time !!!

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Last time I posted what I think of Clarkson I got a ban. Turns out there are some words DS really, REALLY doesn't like.

I called him a clown in my OP. Hope that doesn't cop me a ban :o
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I called him a clown in my OP. Hope that doesn't cop me a ban :o

My word wouldn't exactly have been a long way from "clown" in the dictionary, let's just say.
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As much as I would like to laugh at Clarkson for being a complete twonk, I don't see how he is anything but peripheral to this story.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Outrage!!!
  • Options
    Fists of FedorFists of Fedor Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Dunno if it still happens, but his name used to get an automatic asterisking on Popbitch. While he appears all no-nonsense he has his lawyers on speed dial, the sensitive old diva.

I don't know - if somebody was libelling me, I'd be a little sensitive about it.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know - if somebody was libelling me, I'd be a little sensitive about it.

So would I. But if it weren't libel and rich me slapped poor them with a C&D anyway, I'd be a bit of a twunt.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    He's come up with a few crass things in his time, but yanking the Argentinian's chain is fine by me. They are as a nation, bigger twonks than he is.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's clear that Clarkson didn't have anything to do with buying the cars, but don't let the facts get in the way of some Clarkson bashing

Clarkson is one of the two people who run the show, so he is very much involved in what happens. Don't believe all the "The Producers asked us to..." and any time they pretend not to know what is going to happen. For purely boring health and safety everything has to be planned and discussed long in advance. Look at the official report into Hammond's accident where then Stig Ben Collins visited the rocket car factory and reported back to TG and all the discussions that went on.

Andy Willman has officially said that they did not change the registration, and the Daily Mail has asked the person who sold them the car to get in touch, so it will be interesting to see what turns out to be the truth.

Either way, Argentina has no grounds to try to take the high moral ground and act all outraged. From the war they started to their Olympic and World cup stunts they have no grounds to complain when they spot what they claim is a Falklands reference.

I hope our Foreign Office files a strong complaint with Argentina for our citizens being threatened so badly.
    I also think it's funny that the Daily Mail clearly struggled with this story. They hate the BBC so much but they can't side with Argentina! Which side to take? :o
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    My word wouldn't exactly have been a long way from "clown" in the dictionary, let's just say.

"Clone"?

Clarkson Island.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    ...and of course all this will make a wonderful Top Gear Special. :D
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Whatever the case is I think it's hilarious, I hope they include it in the next series :D

As for the Argies, the truth is written there on the plates so live with it.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Dunno if it still happens, but his name used to get an automatic asterisking on Popbitch. While he appears all no-nonsense he has his lawyers on speed dial, the sensitive old diva.
    LMAO (bib) :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    ...and of course all this will make a wonderful Top Gear Special. :D

Shame!! I'm washing my hair that night. :p

;-)
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'Clarkson' you get on Top Gear is merely a character, in real life he's nothing like that at all. As for the latest number plate thing, ****ing pisser. Loved it. Anything that riles those murdering Argies up is fine by me.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    The 'Clarkson' you get on Top Gear is merely a character, in real life he's nothing like that at all. As for the latest number plate thing, ****ing pisser. Loved it. Anything that riles those murdering Argies up is fine by me.
    I imagine that to be true of most TV personalities.....what you see is not necessarily what you get in 'real life'. Have you met him then and if so what was he like?

The only TV personality i ever met was Fred Dibnah.....but he was exactly what you saw on television. No pretences, no fuss, no dramas.....just a solid down to earth Northerner!
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    We're a funny lot, us Brit's...

Argentine athlete films video for the 2012 Olympics which shows him training on the Falklands with the slogal "To compete on British soil we train on Argentine soil".
    People complain that it's in poor taste.
    Other people say there's nothing to complain about and it's just a video and what about freedom of speech and go and join the BNP etc.

British TV show films in Argentina with subtly antagonistic car registration plate.
    They get denied permission to film by the local authorities and they get rocks thrown at them by members of the public.
    This is all okay because they're arseholes and they were asking for it and they're a waste of the taxpayers money.

Am I the only one seeing the double standard here?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    We're a funny lot, us Brit's...

Argentine athlete films video for the 2012 Olympics which shows him training on the Falklands with the slogal "To compete on British soil we train on Argentine soil".
    People complain that it's in poor taste.
    Other people say there's nothing to complain about and it's just a video and what about freedom of speech and go and join the BNP etc.

British TV show films in Argentina with subtly antagonistic car registration plate.
    They get denied permission to film by the local authorities and they get rocks thrown at them by members of the public.
    This is all okay because they're arseholes and they were asking for it and they're a waste of the taxpayers money.

Am I the only one seeing the double standard here?

Of course not, but some of us just enjoy a display of indignation. It's a very British standpoint. :D
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Of course not, but some of us just enjoy a display of indignation. It's a very British standpoint. :D

Does that come before or after the self-loathing?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Fine by me too. Though at second hand, I hear Clarkson isn't a terribly nice fellow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Does that come before or after the self-loathing?

D'you know, I'm not too sure!
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    I imagine that to be true of most TV personalities.....what you see is not necessarily what you get in 'real life'. Have you met him then and if so what was he like?

Only briefly, we got tickets to be in the audience when Top Gear 11 was being filmed, but he comes across completely different than the on-screen 'Top Gear Clarkson'. On-screen Clarkson is basically, for want of a better word, a clown, a funny clown but a clown nonetheless. You can see this during the filming as his personality changes when he's chatting with the crowd in between takes. That said though, who knows what he's like when there's no cameras around. He could be a right **** for all anybody knows.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised it's not been mentioned in the thread yet, but apparently the plate had been on the car since the early 90's, and TG appear to have bought it a couple of months ago (the car not the plate).

So it could simply be that they wanted a specific type/age of car and got "lucky"/"unlucky" (depending on POV) with the plate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only briefly, we got tickets to be in the audience when Top Gear 11 was being filmed, but he comes across completely different than the on-screen 'Top Gear Clarkson'. On-screen Clarkson is basically, for want of a better word, a clown, a funny clown but a clown nonetheless. You can see this during the filming as his personality changes when he's chatting with the crowd in between takes. That said though, who knows what he's like when there's no cameras around. He could be a right **** for all anybody knows.

He was decidedly egocentric about getting his bike license before the Vietnam stint. Thought he should have an honorary one, apparently. Doesn't put me off watching though.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Oh c'mon - they must think we came down in the last shower :kitty:

Anybody who thinks these rock-pelting Argie protests are real and not part of the scripted show probably did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    Anybody who thinks these rock-pelting Argie protests are real and not part of the scripted show probably did.

:confused: Pardon?