Options

Weight Loss Thread - 2013 Edition

Comments

• Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,102
    Forum Member
    Though I would add this for anyone thinking of doing the walk-it-off route to weight loss. Don't expect to do 4 miles straight away. I started off doing a mile, which exhausted me at first. The moved up to 1.5 miles, then 2 miles and so on. It was probably a good month before I got to 3 miles and at least 6 weeks before I got to 4 miles per session. Yes, I really was that unfit :) Now I can jog most of that 4 miles with relative ease so it does get better :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    Y'know I really don't feel any different. Heck, I don't even notice the change in appearance (though everyone else does it seems, it's really weird when people start using the word 'attractive' in regards to my appearance :D).

The 4 miles a day walking is THE way to lose weight gently. That's what I did first time out and lost 2 stone in about 4 months. Exactly the same as you, cutting out the snacking and just walking around 4 miles about 4 times a week. No major change in diet (just a little bit less of the bad stuff). Though I did put about a stone back on afterwards :(

This time I've gone more for more difficult exercising, more fitness than just weight-loss. Pretty much the same result but added muscle mass. Either way works, just get some fresh air in the lungs :)

I keep catching myself in window shop reflections and it's weird to see a person you don't recognize! I have also just this week has some very complimentary looks from the a few ladies - I look so much better with a slimmer face! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    I'd add that it depends on how much you move anyway and any other issues. Four miles walking for me is nothing because I have never driven so (apart from when I worked from home which is what got me fat in the first place) I've always walked everywhere. The most I've done recently is the walk into town and back which is about eleven miles - and I'm totally fine doing that too. However, I will never be able to job/run even a mile because of arthritis.

It's interesting to see the walking it off approach taking off on this thread. I think I might have started that suggestion when I realised I couldn't eat less. :D

Same here, aint drove for years..walk everywhere. It's amazing how many people literally walk yards everyday to and from there cars to their front doors. I did 6 miles today!
  • Options
    WinterFireWinterFire Posts: 9,509
    Forum Member
    striing wrote: »
    I'd add that it depends on how much you move anyway and any other issues. Four miles walking for me is nothing because I have never driven so (apart from when I worked from home which is what got me fat in the first place) I've always walked everywhere. The most I've done recently is the walk into town and back which is about eleven miles - and I'm totally fine doing that too. However, I will never be able to job/run even a mile because of arthritis.

It's interesting to see the walking it off approach taking off on this thread. I think I might have started that suggestion when I realised I couldn't eat less. :D

I was thinking about walking when I was warming up on the treadmill in the gym on Tuesday morning. I start my session with a 300m walk at 6.1km/hr. According to the machine, I burnt 12 calories in two minutes, doing this walk. Over an hour, this would be 360kcal burnt. That's a useful amount of calories to burn off. Clearly running and other higher intensity exercises can burn more calories faster. But, it appears that those who can only walk at first can still burn very useful amounts of calories in a reasonable time.
    Same here, aint drove for years..walk everywhere. It's amazing how many people literally walk yards everyday to and from there cars to their front doors. I did 6 miles today!

I don't own a car at all, and have no intention of getting one. Maybe once a month or less something happens and we have to get a taxi, but we end up doing a lot of walking and for myself cycling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    woo, i lost 2lb this week, and weighed myself again this morning and lost another 1lb..So far i lost 11lbs since 4th June..well chuffed :p, still got abit to go, i'm also walking everywhere too, and eating less

Well done to everyone else too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    woo, i lost 2lb this week, and weighed myself again this morning and lost another 1lb..So far i lost 11lbs since 4th June..well chuffed :p, still got abit to go, i'm also walking everywhere too, and eating less

Well done to everyone else too :)

It's five weeks now, and I've lost 1st and 7lbs. I am exercising an awful lot though.

I have found that because my stomach size has decreased an awful lot, so has my appetite. The last thing I want now is to feel full and stuffed. I only eat when my body tells me to eat. Snacks are a thing of the past and fruit,and lovely fresh vegetables are my new friends. My skin is brighter, my energy levels are great and my focus is sharper than before.

Keep at it people. It's so worth the feeling.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,102
    Forum Member
    WinterFire wrote: »
    I was thinking about walking when I was warming up on the treadmill in the gym on Tuesday morning. I start my session with a 300m walk at 6.1km/hr. According to the machine, I burnt 12 calories in two minutes, doing this walk. Over an hour, this would be 360kcal burnt.

The problem with walking on a treadmill is that it's quite dull, you walk in a straight line with no inclines and the power of the treadmill actually pulls you along to some extent. I find I burn way more calories walking outside than I do on the treadmill. For example, this morning I shifted about 750 calories with a walk/jog of just under 5 miles (just over an hour). If I'd done the same on a treadmill it would have been closer to 450-500 calories at most. Plus, you'll find that the time passes quicker and you'll be less aware you are exercising :)

I remember trying this because I'd heard that Kelly Osbourne lost a lot of weight by walking 4 miles a day (just walking, no running). I thought it worth a go and it worked (though I had to cut out snacking too).

And on the plus side, jogging/walking 5 miles in 23C heat may have been exhausting but at least I can justify an ice-cream tonight :D
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Another fan here of walking to lose weight and for me I believe it's more about the exercise as opposed to what I'm eating that is helping me to lose weight. I started by only being able to walk 10 minutes and after four weeks I had built it up to 40 mins. I was then able to introduce intervals of jogging which always gives me a great feeling of achievement and energy.

I've had a week off from any exercise (my longest period of inactivity since starting 10 weeks ago) because I've had a bit of a man cold. I've managed to maintain my weight of 10'6 and went out earlier for an hour in the heat for a walk and jog. I'm still very round/fat around the tummy so may need to also do some training exercises to tone? I'm not too keen on that idea though. I've got a party in three weeks so ideally just want to get back into what I was doing in the hope a few more lbs will drop off by then.
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really need help to lose weight!! I have come back from my sisters wedding and seen the pictures of me in my bridesmaid dress - I'm 1 of 2 - and looked so fat, it bringing tears to me eyes ahaha (first world problems) but I don't want to look like anymore and feel like this, I started walking 6 out of 7 days before we left for the wedding last Saturday and I enjoy that but think I need to have other exercise to keep me motivated and to mix it up a bit but what would anyone recommend? I cannot run, so please don't suggest that, joined a running club 2 years ago and just couldn't do it. Is Zumba any good?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    I really need help to lose weight!! I have come back from my sisters wedding and seen the pictures of me in my bridesmaid dress - I'm 1 of 2 - and looked so fat, it bringing tears to me eyes ahaha (first world problems) but I don't want to look like anymore and feel like this, I started walking 6 out of 7 days before we left for the wedding last Saturday and I enjoy that but think I need to have other exercise to keep me motivated and to mix it up a bit but what would anyone recommend? I cannot run, so please don't suggest that, joined a running club 2 years ago and just couldn't do it. Is Zumba any good?

aww :)

Walking is the best exercise., Get an ipod with ya fav music and walk to the beats ;)..Do you have an exercise bike ? there good ..I started my diet about 5 weeks, like mirrormirror ( well done mirror :)), and ive lost about 10lbs..( i cant stop weighing meself latley :D) weighed this morning and put 1lb back on :( but i think thats the lasagne i had last night, they are now out , home made too , never again lol...good luck :)..it does take ages dieting/losing weight but i guess its worth it in the end..Im actually enjoying it, lots of walking, eating less no snacks lots of fruit/veg..I do have the odd treat though :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    aww :)

Walking is the best exercise., Get an ipod with ya fav music and walk to the beats ;)..Do you have an exercise bike ? there good ..I started my diet about 5 weeks, like mirrormirror ( well done mirror :)), and ive lost about 10lbs..( i cant stop weighing meself latley :D) weighed this morning and put 1lb back on :( but i think thats the lasagne i had last night, they are now out , home made too , never again lol...good luck :)..it does take ages dieting/losing weight but i guess its worth it in the end..Im actually enjoying it, lots of walking, eating less no snacks lots of fruit/veg..I do have the odd treat though :p

Don't worry at all if the scales say you are a pound heavier than the precious day....it's only water that the body has retained because you ate too much salt (lasagna!).
    It takes two days for the body to expel food anyhow.

I can jump on the scales one day and I'm literally 2 pounds heavier with no change of diet, but then I will be 3-4 lighter a few days later... I have learnt not to weigh myself too often.

Its still dropping off. :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rooks wrote: »
    The problem with walking on a treadmill is that it's quite dull, you walk in a straight line with no inclines and the power of the treadmill actually pulls you along to some extent. I find I burn way more calories walking outside than I do on the treadmill. For example, this morning I shifted about 750 calories with a walk/jog of just under 5 miles (just over an hour). If I'd done the same on a treadmill it would have been closer to 450-500 calories at most. Plus, you'll find that the time passes quicker and you'll be less aware you are exercising :)

I run both indoors on the treadmill, and outside as well. Both have their pros and cons. If someone had asked me last year, I would have thought that running on a treadmill would be boring, but I haven't found it so at all. I share my focus by watching the numbers build up, watching out for major sub-goals such as each km I complete, and also by watching what people are doing on the weights and strength machines in the gym. BTW: The machines I run on allow you to change the incline, though I typically run at 1.5% incline. I have headphones suitable for listening to music while running on the treadmill, but I'm not yet set up for listening while running outside. I'd be concerned that my full size headphones would fall off.

Well done to all those who have lost weight. Good luck to everyone trying.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It was seeing photographs of myself that gave me the motivation to finally start dieting properly. (And some months later, I'm now at target weight).

My personal advice is to consider whether you would be happy to count calories and consume a calorie controlled diet. (This is a separate question from what sort of food that you eat). As for what exercise is suited for you, that depends on what you enjoy. E.g. If you enjoy dancing then exercise to music might be a good idea. Would you prefer exercise due to a team sport with all the social aspects? Or would you prefer to work out alone? The best exercise for you is something that you enjoy so that it's not a chore to keep on exercising for months or even better that can become a permanent part of your lifestyle.

While there are a large number of ways to achieve weight-loss, they all come down to adjusting the ratio between the calories you consume, and the calories you expend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Change your eating habits entirely. learn to love fruits and veg. No crisps and no takeaways. prepare for the long haul and no starving yourself as this will cause u to eat more eventually. begin walking and don't treat yourself after walking either! Don't eat late the evening and cut out breads,high carb foods and butter.

Above all eat sensible healthy food three times a day and get your body moving.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I find my weight has levelled off a bit from what it was a few months back - a year ago I was over 12 stone, now its dropped to 11 stone 2 - but sometimes I can be a pound or 2 lighter/heavier than before :confused: I think I weigh myself too much and while I was eating healthier for a while so lost quite a lot of weight - I dont think theres as big a change lately but its still going down :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS to all. Takeaway convenience sandwiches are calorific little terrors!

I stopped eating sandwiches altogether about 6 weeks ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member

For weight loss exercise is going to be less important than diet . Whilst exercise is great for a healthy body and obviously burns calories it also makes you hungry and if it makes you eat more you will be stuck at square one.

Try to eat lots of vegetables and protein and avoid sugary foods. Keep a food diary to track how many calories you are consuming daily (you might be surprised!) Don't be scared of fats, if you cut fat from your diet the body becomes reluctant to use up its fat stores. Salmon and avocados are great sources of healthy fats and it doesn't hurt that they taste great. There are a ,lot of calorie calculators on the web to give you an approximation of how many calories you should be consuming for your age, exercise level etc. Use one! If after a week eating at this level you have not lost any weight, reduce your intake by 200 calories a day for another week and then weigh yourself again.

Add some exercise into the mix where possible and be prepared for it to take time. You didn't put this weight on overnight and it's not going to come off fast. Be happy that you are eating and acting healthier and you will get their in the end!

Hope that helps, wandered into this forum by mistake as not to adept at navigating my way around yet. Good luck !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Had a good week last week.

Back on my exercise DVDs , although I only managed 3 lots of 10 mins last week on top of all the other walking/hooping I do. Proabably going to be a bit hit and miss with it as I've got a couple of hectic weeks but I'm definitely going to work my way back up to 30 min sessions as I do enjoy it. Spent a bit of time in the garden this weekend sorting the grass out, painting fences and gates so that got me outside but the sun has brought out my heat rash :(

Found my pedometer out too, so will start wearing that again. It tells me steps, distance and calories burnt so although it won't be exact it will be interesting to use it as a guide.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I finally got to the gym in the evening which is my 'official' weighing place and time. 78kgs. So, 1kg (approx 2lbs) over target weight of 77kg. So, slightly reduced food intake until I can weigh myself at the gym again.

Good luck Sarah and everyone.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a two year long battle with depression and alcoholism, I ballooned up to 26 stone. (I'm six foot tall).

I've been seeking treatment about the first two, but now it's time to see about the third one.

I would have been sent to the local exercise referral, but my BP is too high, so instead I've been placed on Orlistat.

I just wondered if anyone else has used these and what their experiences were like?

Weigh in at the docs today and....

Well, firstly, my doctor who weighed me originally converted kilos to stones incorrectly. I was, quite shockingly, 29 stone.

However, my change in diet and the orlistat are working as I am now down to 26 stone 10 lbs.

Still a long way to go, but heading in the right direction.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done ! Doctors are never good at weighing I find. And not too good at encouraging me to lose weight, in fact in the past have knocked me off course several times so I gave up. Now doing this myself ignoring them I am finally succeeding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well done Eugene.

Like Molliepops, I've received bad diet advice from the NHS, though in my case it was a nurse. She told me that if I was going to lose weight I would have to completely give up biscuits, I would completely have to give up this, that, and the other. And it didn't work. Now when I'm restricting calories (I am today), then I eat what I want, I just restrict the portions and total calories. And that works fine for me. In fact, as a virtual thumbing of the nose to the advice not to eat biscuits, I'm going downstairs to have a gingernut now!

Edit: Damn! Someone has eaten all the gingernuts, and it wasn't me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was the pushing of benecol that got me so annoyed, if I wanted a margarine I would have been buying one I didn't need their free samples and money off coupons, never been a fan of margarine it's all unnatural stuff and e numbers.
    I find butter but in smaller quantities is fine.

I did have to give up some foods to lose, but oddly my NHS contacts have never agreed with that strategy, when I said I had given up sugar (diabetic)and cut my carbs drastically they were shocked, didn't agree just giving it up was good idea at all. But I have had the last laugh as I have my diabetes under control and their other patients who follow their advice don't.
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a bit nervous about coming back into this thread after what I typed. Thank you for your kind comments and words of support.

The very best of luck to the rest of you in your weight loss aims as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never be afraid to come back to this thread we are genuinely all in this journey together and if anyone can help you they will. TBH it has kept me going in the right direction now since it started.