How does Stewart Lee get work?

13»

Comments

• Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He will probably come across this thread at some point, actually.

He trawls the web for insults, which he self-deprecatingly posts on his website. He details some of the main ones to great comic effect in this four-minite excerpt from one of his shows!:D

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=78Puggk5MCA
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For what it's worth, I like Stewart Lee.
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a very bright guy but when I saw him d stand up I didn't laugh once, neither did my friends (and no we are not a miserable bunch - though we do like The Smiths :D)

I used to like that show he did on Sunday mornings years ago with Richard Herring (think it got axed for 'too contraversial')

I prefer him as a comedy writer
  • SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's a very bright guy but when I saw him d stand up I didn't laugh once, neither did my friends (and no we are not a miserable bunch - though we do like The Smiths :D)

I used to like that show he did on Sunday mornings years ago with Richard Herring (think it got axed for 'too contraversial')

I prefer him as a comedy writer

I can understand your confusion there, that Morrissey has let himself go a bit.
  • Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Supratad wrote: »
    I can understand your confusion there, that Morrissey has let himself go a bit.

Thank you for this, a proper laugh of a Weds morning.

I love Stewart Lee, all other comedians pale beside him (for me). His last series was superb, several lines from it have become part of my everyday speech, 'these days' and 'the ukips' to name but two. My life would be significantly worse without his comedy in it.

I find these types of thread mildly concerning, are there really people who are so incapable of comprehending the fact that not everyone likes the same things, bizarre.
  • kitten12kitten12 Posts: 3,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't insult me just because I don't like a person you find funny. It's both pathetic and idiotic.

I have to say your original post was nothing if not disparaging
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitten12 wrote: »
    I have to say your original post was nothing if not disparaging

I don't think this chap is about anymore. ;-)

Banged on about Stewart Lee enough on the 'Comedy Vehicle' thread, so will just say I think he's great.

Lucy Van Pelt: It was 'This Morning With Richard(Not Judy)' and I loved it. Often very near the knuckle considering it's timeslot, but think it got cancelled because the woman in charge of comedy at the time just didn't rate Lee and Herring. They're trying to get a DVD release off their own back like they did with 'Fist of Fun' cos the BBC don't appear interested, even after Lee's 'resurgence'.
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    I'm looking forward to seeing Stewart Lee for the third time in March. It's not unusual for me to like a comedian for a while and then lose interest. With Stewart Lee, the "Carpet Remnant World" show was really good. I didn't like the last tour which featured sections of the tv show quite as much but it was still good so it will be interesting to see what I think of the next one

He is unlike an other comedian that I've seen. I like the fact that he challenges you to think about what you find funny and that sometimes there is an air of tension during the show.
  • Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I am a huge fan of Stewart Lee and Richard Herring. In August I saw over 20 comedy shows at the Edi Fringe. My friend had never seen him before and we both agreed his show was the best. However, I did notice that there were a couple of people near me that didn't laugh once. Comedy really is a personal thing.
  • Miss ListerMiss Lister Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    The_Moth wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to seeing Stewart Lee for the third time in March.

He is unlike an other comedian that I've seen. I like the fact that he challenges you to think about what you find funny and that sometimes there is an air of tension during the show.

Just to add, I too am looking forward to seeing him again in March.

I think for some people the material is just too challenging. One year in Edinburgh there must have been around 20 people who walked out of his show.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find him funny. Clearly his humour is too intellectual for me to understand!
  • The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I don't find him funny. Clearly his humour is too intellectual for me to understand!

Perhaps it is.

On the other hand perhaps you just don't find his style of comedy funny. Don't worry, it's not compulsory. However, I think other are still allowed to like it. And vice versa.

Fortunately the same rules apply to Lee Evans.