Scottish Parents could be arrested if their children drink alcohol on family days out

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Dumbest thing i have ever heard. WHY? What kind of teenager wants to drink with their parents?

One that drinks for enjoyment rather than to get pissed?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    I don't think we should be emulating the French.

They are all chain smokers, probably because they are all drinking wine.

They don't look healthy to me.

All? Really?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    You realise that authoritarian is authoritarian regardless of whether it is 'left' or 'right' don't you.

When the boot of government is at your throat, whether it is a left boot or right boot is of no consequence.

Sure I do, but looking at things like this and then Labour's ID card plan combined with CCTV on every street corner, I would say the left in particular have a penchant for this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, there isn't many options available to the electorate to change this and while voters continually sleepwalk into the polling booths, or the preferred political party stance of not voting at all, it's only going to get worse.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure I do, but looking at things like this and then Labour's ID card plan combined with CCTV on every street corner, I would say the left in particular have a penchant for this sort of thing.

Unfortunately, there isn't many options available to the electorate to change this and while voters continually sleepwalk into the polling booths, or the preferred political party stance of not voting at all, it's only going to get worse.

I actually like the idea of cctv on every corner how much money would be saved on police investigations when you could follow a criminal on every street but that's for another thread.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drink alcohol? Could you get away with eating alcohol in the form of vodka jellies?
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    I don't think we should be emulating the French.

They are all chain smokers, probably because they are all drinking wine.

They don't look healthy to me.

The French chain smoke, drink to excess, get little exercise and gorge on red meat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Drink alcohol? Could you get away with eating alcohol in the form of vodka jellies?

Persumably if you eat vodka jelly when the vodka turns to liquid you are in effect drinking it.
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I actually like the idea of cctv on every corner how much money would be saved on police investigations when you could follow a criminal on every street but that's for another thread.

Whilst this makes it very attractive, looking at past governments insidious activities to snoop on the general population suggests a more sinister reason.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The French chain smoke, drink to excess, get little exercise and gorge on red meat.

It doesn't seem to be doing them much harm?

Life expectancy rates in the world
    No. Country Age
    17 France 81.5 78 19 85 9
    18 Netherlands 81.5 79.5 15 83.5 25
    19 Ireland 81.4 79.2 22 83.6 22
    20 Cyprus 81.2 79.1 23 84.3 18
    21 Chile 81.2 80.1 38 82.3 33
    22 Germany 81 78.5 24 83.5 25
    23 Greece 81 78 28 84 19
    24 Finland 81 78.0 28 84 19
    25 South Korea 81 77.5 30 84.5 15
    26 Malta 81 79.4 19 82.6 32
    27 Belgium 81 78.5 24 83.5 25
    28 United Kingdom 81 79.5 15 82.5 33
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Will the State Guardian, who is legally now responsible for each child up to 18, be also be prosecuted?

I hadn't heard of the 'State Guardian' and just looked it up .. I think that is shocking. It is usually the wrong families that get the interference whilst the kids living in hell are being left there and their parents are treated with kid gloves.

I think this is a step too far.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't. It's too close to 1984 :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't. It's too close to 1984 :eek:

But imagine if someone robbed your house they would be tracked on every street and caught, all murderers would be tracked etc.

The crime rate would plummet and prices would fall etc as most things cost more because of security.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Persumably if you eat vodka jelly when the vodka turns to liquid you are in effect drinking it.

You eat jelly with a spoon, not through a straw.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But imagine if someone robbed your house they would be tracked on every street and caught, all murderers would be tracked etc.

The crime rate would plummet and prices would fall etc as most things cost more because of security.

That's the fantasy we are sold about mass surveillance of communications and I don't buy it. In the case of web surveillance, it is actually making us all less safe.
  • Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the fantasy we are sold about mass surveillance of communications and I don't buy it. In the case of web surveillance, it is actually making us all less safe.
    would people be up for cctv and sound monitoring equipment in their homes and micro chips in the body.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    would people be up for cctv and sound monitoring equipment in their homes and micro chips in the body.

F**k no!
    Forum Member

Only the crinkle cut ones.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know we have gone right off topic here but what is wrong with a static cctv camera pointing down every street, I didn't say having them in people houses or pointing into gardens.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    One that drinks for enjoyment rather than to get pissed?

Never met one of those teenagers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There lies the problem then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Therein lies the problem. We need to foster a healthy attitude towards alcohol from an early age but this idea will not do that. Quite the opposite.
  • Turnbull2000Turnbull2000 Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Will the State Guardian, who is legally now responsible for each child up to 18, be also be prosecuted?

In respect of these sorts of laws, I understand each Scottish State Guardian has a duty to report such infringements. I suppose they'll have to pro-actively ask each child at school if the parents have provided alcohol, then inform local authority social services. Action against the parents will then be taken.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is also intrinsically linked with food and is taught in the home in this way from an early age.
    This is the bit that makes all the difference - having plenty of snackstuff during any extended session reduces the amount of falling over and means we all stay coherent that much longer and these are the sessions that are most memorable for the *right* reasons (as opposed to whatsisface getting into an argument again).

Perhaps because wine (and production thereof) is a much larger part of the French culture than beer-making is of ours - hence it is everywhere and a part of life rather than primarily in drinking-houses. The 'cafe culture' that was attempted can not magically work without a load of other stuff that we just don't have here.

And if pubs/bars turned the money-guzzling juke box down a bit then people's drinking would automatically slow down as they can have a conversation that doesn't involve shouting "what?" all the time.

And as if by magic the problem is solved :p

Edit: for the government proposals maybe they need to clarify or restrict what they mean by 'in public places'.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In respect of these sorts of laws, I understand each Scottish State Guardian has a duty to report such infringements. I suppose they'll have to pro-actively ask each child at school if the parents have provided alcohol, then inform local authority social services. Action against the parents will then be taken.

No. Totally no idea about what the named individuals role is.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,939
    Forum Member
    So they're going to criminalise parents letting under 18's drink alcohol whilst on picnics etc because research has shown that under 18's drink more/to excess when outside.

I don't suppose anyone involved in this ban has thought to ask the question, did the research make any distinction between under 18's drinking outside without their parents/adult supervision (IE when they're on their own in a group), and when they're with a responsible adult?

I'm just wondering as typically under 18's tend to drink outside specifically because it is away from their parents who would often disapprove of them drinking that much or at all.

It's funny how a lot of countries have a lower rate of alcohol consumption in their children, and a much lower rate of problems related to alcohol in their population as a whole despite it being common for them to give their youngsters access to it (in supervised situations) on a regular basis from fairly young.
    It's almost as if it's the culture and how the people are drinking it, not just that they're drinking it that is the problem.

I could make a comment about how if the SNP was in charge of my government and I as a teen were aware of their policies, I'd possibly want to get drunk to blot it out, but it's low hanging fruit (the tastiest kind).