'Billy Connolly's Big Send Off', ITV Wednesday Night

Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
Forum Member
Anyone else watching this? It's very interesting and good on BC for tackling a subject many find taboo.

And funny with it!

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Anyone else watching this? It's very interesting and good on BC for tackling a subject many find taboo.

And funny with it!
    Recording it. Will be interesting if he can better Karl Pilkington's effort in his series.
  • hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im watching it and enjoying it. Original idea for a programme about something that happens to us all.
  • fleetfleet Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its very interesting, and subject that we need to be more open about.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoying Billy's words of wisdom on this topic.
  • Par6Par6 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Billy Connolly and Karl Pilkington should not be mentioned in the same breath.
    Enjoying Billy as always although he does look ill/old/greyer than I'd like.
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching its interesting & I love Billy Connolly.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Par6 wrote: »
    Billy Connolly

Say what you see.

Ah, you edited your post. Fair enough.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember him wishing Ken Bigley a big send off.
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Always look on the bright side of life :D

Perfect funeral song :)
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Par6 wrote: »
    Billy Connolly and Karl Pilkington should not be mentioned in the same breath.
    Enjoying Billy as always although he does look ill/old/greyer than I'd like.

He has parkinsons, apparently....
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Great show. Billy Connolly never disappoints.

Really looking forward to the second part next week.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched mostly because I like Billy but wasn't sure if I would be able to stay with it - actually found it really interesting and oddly enjoyable. Love the idea of 'Bright Side' for my funeral but doubt my family would go along with it and the hidden switch on the graveside would be hilarious - my dad would have loved that!. Looking forward to next week.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it gets families talking about death then it's a good thing. It's crazy how we dismiss the subject as if it won't happen.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    If it gets families talking about death then it's a good thing. It's crazy how we dismiss the subject as if it won't happen.

It's mad isn't - watching people striving through life to gather ppossessions and wealth, and for what? To die. Ain't nothing coming with us.
  • BeachhhhhhhBeachhhhhhh Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    toofast wrote: »
    It's mad isn't - watching people striving through life to gather ppossessions and wealth, and for what? To die. Ain't nothing coming with us.

That is SO true.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoy his style of presenting and for me, it was spot on for this programme. He approached the subject with enough respect whilst keeping a healthy amount of humour.

The cemetery with family plots for $1M.....More money than sense springs to mind, but hey, if that's what they choose to spend it on, good luck to them.

I thought BC looked every day his 71 years, but I guess his health hasn't been great. Sad really, as I always see him as a larger than life character.
  • julie_tredgoldjulie_tredgold Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoy his style of presenting and for me, it was spot on for this programme. He approached the subject with enough respect whilst keeping a healthy amount of humour.

The cemetery with family plots for $1M.....More money than sense springs to mind, but hey, if that's what they choose to spend it on, good luck to them.

I thought BC looked every day his 71 years, but I guess his health hasn't been great. Sad really, as I always see him as a larger than life character.

I agree not many people have the charm and intelligence to carry this subject but Billy certainly has and did it very well
    There is no arrogance or malice with Billy he is ill with Parkinson but is getting on with life and taking it as it comes .I have grown up watching Billy Connolly as my dad was a massive fan
    A down to earth gentleman
  • The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We may aswell all just kill ourselves then. Right now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think they do it to improve the quality of life for them and their loved ones.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It made me think of Karl too, the Moaning of Life episode about death. No Kit Kat coffins yet though :D I noticed the Asian ladies, their paid to mourn for the dead, aren't they?

I like the countries/states where they have a big party to celebrare the deads life, rather than being really dour, dark and mournful at funerals. The buildings that hold the ashes (I can't remember the term, sorry) was interesting but I still reckon I'd rather be buried.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,836
    Forum Member
    I thought it was superb how it wasn't depressing despite being about death, but then I love Billy Connolly and think he could do a documentary about anything and make it interesting.
  • Chrisca50Chrisca50 Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Great programme - really was an eye opener as to all the different ways people deal with funerals/death. Poor Billy looked frail - didn't sound it but certainly looked it. Nice to have a laugh about it all though. Looking forward to next weeks
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was interesting seeing the pet cemetary - are there any like that here in the UK? I'm not sure.
  • yawalloperyawalloper Posts: 6,561
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    It was interesting seeing the pet cemetary - are there any like that here in the UK? I'm not sure.

Theres a pet cemetery in kilsyth country park

http://scottishprint.smugmug.com/ParksandGardens/Colzium-Estate-Kilsyth-1/