Anyone ever worked at Haven Holidays?

DuayDuay Posts: 35
Forum Member
Hi everyone :D

I have an interview tomorrow with Haven Holidays, theres lots of work oppurtunities like bar work, retail, chef etc. I will be moving away from home if I get the job I was wondering what the accomodation is like? and what the age ranges are of the people who work there I am 19 years old.

as anyone ever worked at Haven and if so how was it for you?

Comments

• Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bar work or chef?
    Bit of a stretch.

I'm guessing accommodation will be a staff designated area of the park in bottom end quality market trailers.
    But, what the hell, have a blast! :D
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what a good job for a young un.... i wish id had a job like that back in the day.
  • gem2626gem2626 Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    I worked for Haven when I was 19. I actually did work experience there when my family went on holiday and they sent me a letter asking me to go work there when I'd finished my college course :)

I worked in holiday sales and was actually given a pretty nice caravan to live in with sea view and decking. That was down to working in holiday sales and my manager liking to look after her staff. I have to say the caravans the baff staff etc got were pretty run down.

Working days were quite long, pay was rubbish and I was on my feet all day (in stupidly high shoes) but it was soooooo much fun!

Definitely go for it, doesn't matter what you do you'll have a great time :)

ETA- People of all ages worked there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Duay wrote: »
    Hi everyone :D

I have an interview tomorrow with Haven Holidays, theres lots of work oppurtunities like bar work, retail, chef etc. I will be moving away from home if I get the job I was wondering what the accomodation is like? and what the age ranges are of the people who work there I am 19 years old.

as anyone ever worked at Haven and if so how was it for you?

Which park are you having an interview for? I work at Perran Sands in Cornwall. I work behind the bar and it's really good. Sometimes stressful, but pretty laid back managers.
    I live on site in a chalet, which is probably the closest to the complex as you could possibly get. They aren't in the best shape, but they are good for what they are.
  • DuayDuay Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies, the employer is coming quite local to take interviews (it will take me about one hour to get to the interview tomorrow) so not that bad.

And I believe that the park will be in Presthaven Sands, do you share the rooms/caravans/chalets or do you have your own individual one? and also do you have to get your own facilities (Iron, kettle, toaster, microwave) etc.

I will be moving so far away from my family and friends, so I really need to make sure that this is right for me.. My only worry though is being lonely.
  • gem2626gem2626 Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies, the employer is coming quite local to take interviews (it will take me about one hour to get to the interview tomorrow) so not that bad.

And I believe that the park will be in Presthaven Sands, do you share the rooms/caravans/chalets or do you have your own individual one? and also do you have to get your own facilities (Iron, kettle, toaster, microwave) etc.

I will be moving so far away from my family and friends, so I really need to make sure that this is right for me.. My only worry though is being lonely.

I've been to that site (and Perran Sands too) it's nice. To this day my brother swears Janet Jackson was on holiday there too :D

I shared a caravan with 2 other people but 1 left after a couple of weeks. The norm seemed to be 2 to a van. Both my van mates were brilliant.

I'm pretty sure I bought a toaster but there was already a microwave & kettle.

I worked at Devon Cliffs and live 5 hours away. There were times I got lonely but I rang and wrote to my friends and a whole load of them came down for a holiday which was fun. I also had new friends to distract me from being home sick.
    Forum Member
    gem2626 wrote: »
    I've been to that site (and Perran Sands too) it's nice. To this day my brother swears Janet Jackson was on holiday there too :D

I shared a caravan with 2 other people but 1 left after a couple of weeks. The norm seemed to be 2 to a van. Both my van mates were brilliant.

I'm pretty sure I bought a toaster but there was already a microwave & kettle.

I worked at Devon Cliffs and live 5 hours away. There were times I got lonely but I rang and wrote to my friends and a whole load of them came down for a holiday which was fun. I also had new friends to distract me from being home sick.

Thank you so much for replying so fast, thats good to know that I will be sharing so I won't be so lonely :D and yeah I'm pretty sure some friends and some family will visit once in a while, and hopefully I make good friends there if i get the job :D

I'm pretty sure I'll miss home for the first week or so, but as long as I make new friends and enjoy the job I will be fine :D
    Forum Member

Well I was lucky enough to share my chalet with my partner as he worked at Perran Sands as well. But generally, it's 2 people per caravan/chalet. You do have everything provided such as kettle, microwave etc. We never got an iron or toaster though.

You don't need to worry about feeling lonely. You will make friends with everyone in your team whether it's bars, catering, reception etc. In the bars, we never finished work until 2:00 in the morning but then we all went to someone else's chalet or my chalet and had a few drinks until early hours of the morning. It's like one big family. You will be fine.
    Forum Member
    inland16 wrote: »
    Well I was lucky enough to share my chalet with my partner as he worked at Perran Sands as well. But generally, it's 2 people per caravan/chalet. You do have everything provided such as kettle, microwave etc. We never got an iron or toaster though.

You don't need to worry about feeling lonely. You will make friends with everyone in your team whether it's bars, catering, reception etc. In the bars, we never finished work until 2:00 in the morning but then we all went to someone else's chalet or my chalet and had a few drinks until early hours of the morning. It's like one big family. You will be fine.

Oh right so I will have to get myself some facilities.

You have put my mind at ease a bit, thats one thing I was worried about having no friends and feeling lonely etc. What do people usually do on days off? do they just stay at the park or do they go out?

Thanks so much for the reply :D, I'm really excited for tomorrow.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wanted to say Good Luck for tomorrow.:)

And as for being lonely, think of it this way. If they are going a long way to recruit people, lots turning up to work will be in the same position as yourself, so they will be just as keen to make friends as you will be.
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to say Good Luck for tomorrow.:)

And as for being lonely, think of it this way. If they are going a long way to recruit people, lots turning up to work will be in the same position as yourself, so they will be just as keen to make friends as you will be.

Thank you so much :)
  • paton1983paton1983 Posts: 2,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked at a Haven for a couple of years about a decade ago. Was probably best job I ever had and best friends I ever made.
    I was a quiet, shy guy before going so panicked I would feel lonely but the other staff and regulars (caravan owners) made it amazing.
    My first year I shared a caravan with a fellow newbie. He left after 2 months and I had van to myself for rest of season. Always other staff sleeping over so never lonely. The van was very basic but, considering some long shifts and busy social life, luxury wasn't really needed.
    My second year I got a more luxurious van due to promotions and got to share with my friend.

Hope you have an amazing time. I wouldn't change it for anything.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I worked cleaning caravans and chalets at Presthaven, but for an outside contractor. At the same time my husband was working in the arcade as a cash controller. We didn't meet until a few years later, although we worked within a few yards of one another.

The chalets were nicer than the caravans. The vans were a mixed bunch - the low end ones were pretty grotty, but there were smarter ones.

The park itself is not a particularly nice park - the caravans are just in rows, hundreds of them, with no gardens or trees. You are only a few foot away from a neighbour's van, so it's not that private or quiet. But hell, it's nicer than Pontins, which is up the road. (I worked there too.)

My husband enjoyed working in the arcade - long hours but a relaxed atmosphere. He only left because non-managerial staff got laid off every winter, and he needed a reliable, year-round job.

If you don't drive, take a bike. Presthaven isn't actually in Prestatyn - it's about three miles away from the town and there aren't any shops or facilities near the camp. My OH walked to work each day, but it's quite a trek. Once you get into Prestatyn there's a train and bus station, and a few decent bars and pubs, in case you fancy a change from the camp entertainment.

I still live in Prestatyn, so any questions about the area, feel free to ask.
    Good luck with the interview.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just realised it was Presthaven you were going to. I was there a few years ago visiting staff and stayed in staff accomm. They stayed in 'pods' which were kind of like larger chalets. The one I was in had 4 bedrooms, kitchen, living room and 2 bathrooms. Was actually a really nice place. The facilities and venues were much better than many of the Haven sites I've been to.
    Forum Member
    Oh right so I will have to get myself some facilities.

You have put my mind at ease a bit, thats one thing I was worried about having no friends and feeling lonely etc. What do people usually do on days off? do they just stay at the park or do they go out?

Thanks so much for the reply :D, I'm really excited for tomorrow.

Well people at Perran spent most of their days off in bed or just relaxing in their chalet as we only had 1 day off a week. In the evenings though, the ones who had a day off went to the complex to have a drink or they went to play pool etc. It's best to take it easy on your day off, especially during peak season.
    What department you hoping to work in? Bars is a nice place to work, but can get busy. The restaurant is also good. Just have to make sure you are chatty and have good communication skills for the restaurant though.
    If you wish, you can PM and we can swap numbers and I will chat to you some more about it. It's probably the best job you will ever have :)
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I worked as a bars manager at Haven about ten years ago, I didn't live in but I went back to the staffs accomodation many times for social drinks. It is basic but liveable.
    You will have the time of your life I'm sure of that. I used to love listening to the youngsters stories about what went on in camp after work finished.
    We had people of all ages from all over the country and a few from South Africa and it was just one big happy family.
    Good luck tomorrow, stay confident and make sure you have a big smile on your face and tell them how excited you are about having this opportunity.
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much :)

How did your interview go? Did they say whether you have the job or do you have to wait a couple of days?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    I suppose you have to have high levels of patience and like kids! That job would be hell for me i hate kids!!!
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, thank you so much for your kind words.

Turns out the park is not 'Presthaven' but another park in wales. The interview went well, I will know by Friday so fingers crossed.
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, thank you so much for your kind words.

Turns out the park is not 'Presthaven' but another park in wales. The interview went well, I will know by Friday so fingers crossed.

Good luck! Hope you get it. If it's Hafan Y Mor your going too, you will love it. It's a big park, one of their busiest as well. Wouldn't ever be bored.
    Forum Member
    inland16 wrote: »
    Good luck! Hope you get it. If it's Hafan Y Mor your going too, you will love it. It's a big park, one of their busiest as well. Wouldn't ever be bored.

Thank you so much, if i get the job I will have to pay £39 a week for my room, gas, electric etc. Also if I want wifi it will cost £90 per year, but I'm assuming myself and flat mates could split that 3 ways?. I will be sharing with two other people, how do they put people together? is it completely by random?
    Forum Member
    Our rent etc comes out of our wages. We get paid £5.35 for the first 38 hours as they take it out of that and then after 38 hours, it goes up to £6.31. Not high amounts but the amount of hours you do, it accumulates to be around £850 a months. Every pays the same amount, so each of you will be deducted the same amount.

They put people of the same gender together. They don't do males/females sharing. Sometimes it can get a bit rowdy as well depending if they invite everyone back for drinks until early hours of the morning. But you should be ok with that.

I love all the North Wales parks. Going to Hafan Y Mor again this August. What department did you apply for?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much, if i get the job I will have to pay £39 a week for my room, gas, electric etc. Also if I want wifi it will cost £90 per year, but I'm assuming myself and flat mates could split that 3 ways?. I will be sharing with two other people, how do they put people together? is it completely by random?

Not sure how the WiFi pay works but as other FM said, rent is automatically taken out of your wages.

They usually try to put people from same department (bars/retail/catering) in the same accommodation due to the differing working hours.

Have my fingers crossed for you. Really hope you get the job. As I said earlier in thread, working holiday parks was the best job I have had. Not only for the work but the social life and friends I made. Only downfall is I still get excited when I hear the party dances and cant help getting up to show the moves (no matter what department you work, you will know the party dances!)
    Forum Member
    I got the job :D
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations.