Final bill issue

parkyzparkyz Posts: 827
Forum Member
✭✭
My sky services are due to be disconnected on the April 1st I logged into the my account section of my bill a few days ago to check my final bill my account states I owe 36.26 on the 11th April (what about march) however I received letter from sky staring that £29.26 is my final bill amount I rang to query this and was told to ignore all the other prices as my final bill was £16.26 I made a card payment however I have been told that there is a billing error on my account that carnt be fixed by a regular advisor and needs to be passed onto back office I have been told this for the past 5 months as my bills have been £10 more that usual it is credited back when I call to complain and I'm assured the overcharge won't happen again....it always has

Also I was told by one sky agent that the £10 is a recurring charge and it is showing on future bills dispute the fact that I shouldn't be billed at all I print screened that conversation as that was online. I've emailed the exec office again and waiting on a reply the worry is sky have my credit card details

It's all really confusing has anybody had a similar experience ? Let me know if Havnt explained anything adequately enough haha

Comments

• DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you paid by direct debit you could simply cancel it and be done with it.
  • parkyzparkyz Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I cancel a credit care payment? There's no option when I log into my account online
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,453
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    If you paid by direct debit you could simply cancel it and be done with it.

Except cancelling the direct debit isn't 'done with it', and it's a VERY bad idea to do so (and to advise others to).
  • tintin Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Write a letter clearly detailing your position, tell them they have 14 days to sort it out to your satisfaction, send it recorded delivery, THEN cancel the direct debit.

They will fight and send you threatening letters and stuff, then give up.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tin wrote: »
    They will fight and send you threatening letters and stuff, then give up.

if they feel you owe them anything then they won't "give up".
    they'll pass it to a debt collection agent and it'll be marked on your credit rating.

cancelling a direct debit without acknowledge that the account has been closed is always the wrong course of action to take.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky said the £16 I payed was the last payment due so they shouldn't be expecting any money any futhur bills will be produced in error
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parkyz wrote: »
    Sky said the £16 I payed was the last payment due so they shouldn't be expecting any money any futhur bills will be produced in error

therefore if you have confirmation that the account is now closed then you have nothing to worry about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He didn't say my account was closed he just said I shouldn't get any more bills as I said all really messy and confusing my account closes on the 1st April alongside my tv doesn't it the my sky section doesn't show anything as active tho
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think you need to contact the accounts dept again and get clarity on the status of your account.
    only then can you be safe to cancel your direct debit.
  • sirogsirog Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I have had exactly the same problem. Sky said everything was done and dusted and did not owe them anything. The March bill was for £10 even though I left in Jan. The Advisor Checked and this £10 was showing on future billing even though I was not a customer. It takes time but you will get it sorted. I asked for the money back and eventually got it. A lot of hassle but shocking customer service
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except cancelling the direct debit isn't 'done with it', and it's a VERY bad idea to do so (and to advise others to).

Why? If you have paid your final bill, why not cancel the DD? Sky has already admitted that this £10pm is spurious and has been told several times to stop taking the money.
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if you cancel your DD, sky can restart it back up.
    I know someone who was having terrible problems with their virgin service, and an advisor told her to cancel the DD, and Virgin restarted it.
    I think most companies do that now.
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Why? If you have paid your final bill, why not cancel the DD? Sky has already admitted that this £10pm is spurious and has been told several times to stop taking the money.

I suggest you try asking that at Trading Standards or Citizens Advice - once everything is closed and all 'done and dusted' then by all means close the DD, but NOT until everything is finalised.
  • powarpowar Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    That is rubbish. A cancelled DD is closed. The only person who can start it up is you. Perhaps you are confusing it with a continuous credit card authority which is difficult to stop though the law is changing on those as well (May even have happened already).

OP. Make sure you record all telephone conversations with Sky.

Wrong. Once a direct debit is closed, a company can open another one under a different originator number.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    powar wrote: »
    Wrong. Once a direct debit is closed, a company can open another one under a different originator number.

the Direct Debit Guarantee rules overrides this.
    if you report to the bank that the payment is un-authorised then they have to refund it. it is then up to the bank to deal with it from that point onwards.

however, that is a different situation to what the OP was originally advised with regards to cancelling a DD without 100% confirmation that the account is closed.
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    That is rubbish. A cancelled DD is closed.

Completely wrong, the company can (and do!) restart the DD after you've cancelled it without closing the account first - if you look back through these forums you will find MANY such examples.

You can certainly claim the money back from the bank under the DD guarantee, but it's all extra hassle and a good reason NOT to just cancel the DD without ensuring the account is closed first.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    teletv wrote: »
    Even if you cancel your DD, sky can restart it back up.
    No, they can't. From the Direct Debit website: "under the Scheme rules, an organisation would have to obtain your authority to reinstate a cancelled Instruction. "

That doesn't change the fact that simply cancelling a Direct Debit is exactly the same as not paying the bill, and most companies will just turn your account details over to a debt collection agency for processing. It's a quick way to destroy your credit rating, but the one thing it will not do is cancel the contract.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    the Direct Debit Guarantee rules overrides this.
    if you report to the bank that the payment is un-authorised then they have to refund it. it is then up to the bank to deal with it from that point onwards.

This is probably where the confusion is coming from. If you just tell your bank that a Direct Debit was incorrect, they will refund it, but the company can simply continue the debit the following month.

If you explictly tell the bank to cancel the Direct Debit completely, then of course the company cannot re-open it.

My guess is that people aren't making their instructions clear to the bank, and are just disputing one payment, so all that happens is the refund, not a cancellation. Since that will never, of course, cancel the contract, the debit just kicks in again the following month.
  • bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    see below post
  • bubblegunbubblegun Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parkyz wrote: »
    My sky services are due to be disconnected on the April 1st I logged into the my account section of my bill a few days ago to check my final bill my account states I owe 36.26 on the 11th April (what about march) however I received letter from sky staring that £29.26 is my final bill amount I rang to query this and was told to ignore all the other prices as my final bill was £16.26 I made a card payment however I have been told that there is a billing error on my account that carnt be fixed by a regular advisor and needs to be passed onto back office I have been told this for the past 5 months as my bills have been £10 more that usual it is credited back when I call to complain and I'm assured the overcharge won't happen again....it always has

Also I was told by one sky agent that the £10 is a recurring charge and it is showing on future bills dispute the fact that I shouldn't be billed at all I print screened that conversation as that was online. I've emailed the exec office again and waiting on a reply the worry is sky have my credit card details

It's all really confusing has anybody had a similar experience ? Let me know if Havnt explained anything adequately enough haha

Okay, so this will be a little long winded but this is what will happen if you place a 31 days notice with Sky, [we will base this on giving your notice on 10th March 2014] (for future reference adjust this to reflect your notice date):

So you will call Sky and they should confirm this:

31 days notice on tv would mean tv works until 10th of April then goes off on 11th April.

Assuming you had full package (of Entertainment Extra with Sports and Movies in HD) and you normally paid on 1st of each month,

Then the final bill would be £67.25 / 30 X 10 = £22.41 (which is worked out as the price of your package divided by the number of days in the month that this bill is paid in, multiplied by the number of days in that month that your TV will run for).

So the same notice date on telephone and broadband would mean that those services run until 10th April.

Then at the end of that day a cease request is sent to get the line cancelled so it will start to cancel from Friday 11th April.

However, since this is cancelled on an Openreach system Sky aren't informed that the cancel has completed until 2 weeks (10 working days) later.

This means that although the cancel should be put onto the line on 10th April, it won't actually go through until the 11th of April (the next working day) so the 14 day cease will start on the 11th of April. (Openreach won't cancel things on weekends so if you select a Friday as your last day of service then it won't start to cancel until the Monday after)

The cease completion date will be the 25th of April.

As a result of this the payment for the 1st of May will still be in progress for another month of telephone and broadband since the cease completed hasn't come through at that point yet.

Additionally any calls or PPV Movies/Sports between the 17th March and the 10th April will be taken on this bill.

Then on the next billing run for payment (or refund) on the 1st May, anything overpaid on telephone and/or broadband will be refunded back to to the cease requested date.

If the direct debit is left open then this will automatically be put back into your bank account within 45 days of the last service completing the cancellation process.

I hope this is clear.