Are the judges' comments rehearsed?

Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have wondered in the past whether Jason's pithy comments were thought up before hand. But tonight when he mentioned a lift in Luke's routine that had been cut seemed very weird.

Was he even watching? And if so - how much can we trust what the other judges say?

Comments

• Malc LondonMalc London Posts: 2,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was embarrassing
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The others probably bother to judge rather than prejudge.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The judges do watch the rehearsals so a lot of the comments are probably written then. Of course you'd still expect the judges to adjust their comments to reflect what actually happens in the main show.
  • nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure a lot of Jason's comments are prescripted. He isn't clever enough to come up with so many alliterative insults on the spot.
  • Susan_A1951Susan_A1951 Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the credibility of the judges' panel that seems so suspect.

Karen is a choreographer and involved in each performance. How can she possibly be dispassionate? Jason is a blank eyed mouther of media bites to be picked up by Daily Mail - and most of which is either total nonsense or sound bites. I honestly don't understand most of what he says.

Ashley....well - I have absolutely no idea why she is there.

That leaves the one remaining credible judge - Robin Cousins - who rarely says anything helpful or original.

Which is why I rarely pay any attention to the scores or the comments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Lolpanel :p
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,542
    Forum Member
    It was embarrassing

It was weird. i got the impression that the move had been taken out in training because of his wrist. So how does Jason know its in there to assume it is still? If it had vanished between rehearsal and show you would imagine Jason was commenting on the rehearsal and then just repeating what he saw - oblivious to the fact that it wasn't there second time around .If he hasn't seen it before, how does he know it was in, and if he has seen it how can he not notice its not there in the live show skate - unless he's not watching at all. The only other explanations are that he has a list of moves and that he missed it, or doesn't actually know which move is which, or that he mispoke and meant to say something about the effect of removing the move from the routine and spoke gibberish - but gibberish isn't that useful either.

Anyone understand what was going on??
  • fredsnailfredsnail Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason Gardiner ‏@officialJasonG
    I apologise profusely for my blunder tonight with Luke's routine. It was a genuine lapse on my part and not like me at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was weird. i got the impression that the move had been taken out in training because of his wrist. So how does Jason know its in there to assume it is still? If it had vanished between rehearsal and show you would imagine Jason was commenting on the rehearsal and then just repeating what he saw - oblivious to the fact that it wasn't there second time around .If he hasn't seen it before, how does he know it was in, and if he has seen it how can he not notice its not there in the live show skate - unless he's not watching at all. The only other explanations are that he has a list of moves and that he missed it, or doesn't actually know which move is which, or that he mispoke and meant to say something about the effect of removing the move from the routine and spoke gibberish - but gibberish isn't that useful either.

Jason would know it had been planned even if he hadn't seen the rehearsal because the VT's are played to the audience in the studio on big screens so he would be able to see it referred to in that. However, that is no excuse for commenting on something that wasn't in the actual performance given. I can only assume that he doesn't know what each lift is and latched onto the term he had heard to describe the one they actually did.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredsnail wrote: »
    I apologise profusely for my blunder tonight with Luke's routine. It was a genuine lapse on my part and not like me at all.

But surely a judging critique should be delivered perfectly so I'm voting to save the other 3 and to send Jason home :)
  • WickedPlansWickedPlans Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    I wonder if he scored it based on an earlier version that he saw, before the lift was changed.

It did make him look a prat, especially after he said he didn't miss anything!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think he doesn't always know which lift is which. He's not exactly an ice skating expert!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's well known that the judges watch the rehearsals. They've never hidden this & several times in the past they have made comments relating to this e.g. 'that was not as good as the rehearsal' or 'it was good to see you pulled off x move as it went wrong in rehearsal' etc.

Jason's comment was obviously scripted based on the rehearsal but a decision was taken to take the lift out of Luke's performance & he just read off his script rather than having the common sense to edit his comments having seen the main performance
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natalian wrote: »
    But surely a judging critique should be delivered perfectly so I'm voting to save the other 3 and to send Jason home :)

:D:D:D
  • BabsefcBabsefc Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    natalian wrote: »

Love it!!! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I think he doesn't always know which lift is which. He's not exactly an ice skating expert!

I thought the same, I thought his point was he commended him for still doing some kind of lift despite the wrist!! I also thought Karen was rude/unprofessional for making an issue of it on the show like that.

I don't always like the terminology Jason uses but he seems to be the only judge who doesn't really play favourites. He was very harsh on Beth and Luke but now he is giving them positive feedback because they are starting to deserve it. He is bound to judge differently to Karen and Robin because his remit is different.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forget the rest of the judges, I just wanted to jump into my TV and go celotape up the gob hole of that vapid american thing ... I mean seriously love how many times are you going to use the words lines and strong..... grrrrrrr
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,542
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    It's well known that the judges watch the rehearsals. They've never hidden this & several times in the past they have made comments relating to this e.g. 'that was not as good as the rehearsal' or 'it was good to see you pulled off x move as it went wrong in rehearsal' etc.

Jason's comment was obviously scripted based on the rehearsal but a decision was taken to take the lift out of Luke's performance & he just read off his script rather than having the common sense to edit his comments having seen the main performance

But wasn't the VT from before the day of the performance/final rehearsal - it didn't look like the studio? And why would they do a dress rehearsal somewhere else?

And if he had seen a VT in the studio as natalian suggests they can, was it a different VT to the one we saw which would have told him about Luke not doing it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But wasn't the VT from before the day of the performance/final rehearsal - it didn't look like the studio? And why would they do a dress rehearsal somewhere else?

And if he had seen a VT in the studio as natalian suggests they can, was it a different VT to the one we saw which would have told him about Luke not doing it?

It would have been the same VT as we saw. What is going out on the TV screens to the people at home is played to the studio audience (and anyone else who is in the studio).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanaunty wrote: »
    I thought the same, I thought his point was he commended him for still doing some kind of lift despite the wrist!! I also thought Karen was rude/unprofessional for making an issue of it on the show like that.

I don't always like the terminology Jason uses but he seems to be the only judge who doesn't really play favourites. He was very harsh on Beth and Luke but now he is giving them positive feedback because they are starting to deserve it. He is bound to judge differently to Karen and Robin because his remit is different.

Not really, Karen and Robin are perfectly capable of judging the performance elements of the routine but Jason has no ability to judge the skating elements of the routine so his remit is to only do half the job of a judge.
  • Dancing GirlDancing Girl Posts: 8,209
    Forum Member
    Personally, I do not think it is correct for the judges to watch the rehearsals. They should see the routine the first time when it is on LIVE TV programme. Isn't it often said in the Skate Off that the judges have to judge the routine, not the previous performance? I do believe that everything the judges say to the constestants is scriped and approved by the producers of the programme. I think the "insulting" comments from Jason are used as a way of keeping the programme high profile as his comments are so often discussed in the media after the show. It is all showbiz people, nothing we see is real!! Same with X Factor, the producers have seen all the acts before the so-called judges watch the auditions and know beforehand who is coming on to perform. All the so-called amazement when a contestant can actually SING is acted!! Even the tears!!! I just hate it!!
  • Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... I do not think it is correct for the judges to watch the rehearsals. They should see the routine the first time when it is on LIVE TV programme.

Isn't it often said in the Skate Off that the judges have to judge the routine, not the previous performance?

BiB and BiB

Precisely!

All the more reason why Karen should not be on the panel!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I do not think it is correct for the judges to watch the rehearsals. They should see the routine the first time when it is on LIVE TV programme. Isn't it often said in the Skate Off that the judges have to judge the routine, not the previous performance? I do believe that everything the judges say to the constestants is scriped and approved by the producers of the programme. I think the "insulting" comments from Jason are used as a way of keeping the programme high profile as his comments are so often discussed in the media after the show. It is all showbiz people, nothing we see is real!! Same with X Factor, the producers have seen all the acts before the so-called judges watch the auditions and know beforehand who is coming on to perform. All the so-called amazement when a contestant can actually SING is acted!! Even the tears!!! I just hate it!!

Personally it doesn't bother me if the judges watch the rehearsals. In some ways it could help their judging as they can get an idea of the routine & what it should look like.

I also think it can help to avoid undermarking of contestants who perform early on. Gareth may have been marked slightly lower for example last night as the judges may have thought that we'll wait to see what Matt & Beth and leave ourselves somewhere to go. If Gareth had been 1 or 2 positions lower on the leaderboard that could have been the diference between him being in the skate off instead of Joe.

Of course the big caveat in all this is that the judges must judge/score on the performance in the main show & I feel that they do that. Jason may have cocked up his comments last night to Luke but I have no issues with how he scored him - & that's from someone who is not a Jason fan at all.
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fredsnail wrote: »

Instead of replying to my Tweet to him about this, he chose to write his next Tweet about the Pope's resignation and a sarcastic remark about scandals. Typical. He sure can dish it out, but just ignores his own shortcomings. :rolleyes:

Where is the press comment about this bizarre and deeply embarrassing blunder? :confused:
    Why did Jeff Brazier/Kerry Katona not mention this incident on This Morning's round up? Or did ITV gag them? :confused:
    Cos they're still promoting the myth that Jason Gardiner has returned to 'save the show'. Pathetic!
  • La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Like Craig Revel Horwood, and Darcey ofcourse, he uses the Ballet terms for particular Lifts and referred to the phantom lift that never was as a "pressage lift", but in Skating it's called the Platter Lift (when the man holds the lady on the hips above his head, with her in a platter position).

Tony Gubba was getting on my nerves last night! Why is he there? All that tosh about the moves with bizarre made up names. Gareth did a beautiful Star Lift - there's a name for it already in Skating, has been for decades - why not just use the proper names of moves? It's as though ITV cannot bear any aspect of the show to remind viewers it's about the Skating and not Showbiz. :rolleyes: