problem importing/exporting outlook express to outlook

hi. In the process of transferring files from my dad's old xp machine to windows 7. When i try to import into outlook on the old machine so I can transfer them over to the windows 7 one it doesn't transfer all the inbox .Any ideas what I can do?

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    goonerob wrote: »
    hi. In the process of transferring files from my dad's old xp machine to windows 7. When i try to import into outlook on the old machine so I can transfer them over to the windows 7 one it doesn't transfer all the inbox .Any ideas what I can do?

well not really.

is it possible that it doesn't have all the mails on the old computer?

how are you transferring them?

what is the mail provider?
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outlook Express
    For a start, make sure you compact all folders before Exporting. This will clean them up and of course compact them. This should be done regularly with Outlook Express anyway.

File > Work Offline. (so nothing happening whilst you compact).
    File > Folder > Compact All Folders.

In Outlook Express check whether more than one Identity is being used.

Not sure why you are bothering importing to Outlook first.

See point 3 in this reference. Just copy over the Store folder from Outlook Express.

The default is a hidden folder in Windows XP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/import-messages-into-windows-mail-from-outlook-express

Whilst the above is for Windows Mail same applies to Windows Live mail as far as I remember.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    the reason I wanted to go Outlook first on dad's machine is because as far as I know Outlook express does not work on Windows7 , so if I have them imported into Outlook on the old machine I can transfer that across
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you don't have to install Outlook Express on Windows 7, as you rightly say you can't.

As I said, you only need the Store folder from Outlook Express, actually all the *.DBX files (Mails/Folders), and possibly the *.IAF files (Internet Account files) which will save entering those as well.

Copy those to a CD/DVD/USB Key/NAS box, or whatever, then copy to a folder on the Windows 7 PC. Note the folder name.

Then open up Windows Live Mail on the Windows 7 PC import from that folder you have noted.
    You can also import the Account details the same way.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-vista/import-messages-into-windows-mail-from-outlook-express

It is still point 3 in the reference. Just substitute Windows 7 for Vista, and Windows Live Mail for Windows Mail.