Has anyone had a go at you on DS?

Comments

• Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Their issues (be it people, posts, threads etc.) are not particularly valid at all really to me, in the scheme of things. They are just names on a screen (posting the usual crap, me included) and could be impersonating anybody, including me. People need to separate forums from real life. I can be anybody on the internet, and I am. Some of the time anyway.

And are you sure it is exactly 99%. Might be 98% or even, shock horror, 97%.

The problem with lying on internet forums is that you have to have a better memory than when lying in the real world. Any contradictions you make become a matter of public record for anyone to drag up! Its best simply to be yourself and tell the truth!
  • Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Oh I was also accused of being Jane Doh! 's guard dog. :D

As if! It's a well known fact on here that she likes cats, not dogs.
    The accuser never really spoke much sense anyway though.
    :D
    vosne wrote: »
    I was accused of being on the game :cry:

I was accused of allowing my daughter to be sexually abused. :rolleyes:
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    The problem with lying on internet forums is that you have to have a better memory than when lying in the real world. Any contradictions you make become a matter of public record for anyone to drag up! Its best simply to be yourself and tell the truth!

This is very true, it's surprising what FMs remember. Someone remembered that I owned a dishwasher and threw it back at me in a thread that had nothing at all to do with dishwashers or any other kitchen appliances. Quite random, I thought, but well remembered and there was me thinking that I flew quite a way under the radar. :D
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    This is very true, it's surprising what FMs remember. Someone remembered that I owned a dishwasher and threw it back at me in a thread that had nothing at all to do with dishwashers or any other kitchen appliances. Quite random, I thought, but well remembered and there was me thinking that I flew quite a way under the radar. :D

That really is a random bit of info to attack someone with in a argument...lol

"Yeah, well you own a dishwasher"
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    But there was no comparison, you were comparing apples with bananas, the post you responded to was so detached from what you said. People weren't offended, but puzzled and then more puzzled that you couldn't understand why people jumped on that particular post!

Sorry, I didn't please all of the people all of the time. Shush happens, as they say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »

Haha love it. How dare you own a dishwasher. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I didn't please all of the people all of the time. Shush happens, as they say.

Um...ok?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That really is a random bit of info to attack someone with in a argument...lol

"Yeah, well you own a dishwasher"
    avasgranny wrote: »

I think this should be the standard response of displeasure on DS from now on!

:D
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People frequently have a go at me - probably because I have my own views on things even if they're unpopular - am I bothered - no :)
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Your mum owns a dishwasher.
    Forum Member
    Um...ok?

That's another thing I find annoying. People who reply too quickly after you've posted, before you've had time to edit/fix errors and make available additional information. 2 minutes in your case. I can't tell you what to do on a forum, obviously, but don't be surprised if what you've quoted is different from my final edit. Luckily, in this case, it wasn't applicable.

No doubt, I've done the same, but I do try to avoid, the 'instantly post after someone else has' syndrome.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member

Indeed, how bloody dare I! Only millionaires own dishwashers, not your everyday down to earth pleb. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's another thing I find annoying. People who reply too quickly after you've posted, before you've had time to edit/fix errors and make available additional information. 2 minutes in your case. I can't tell you what to do on a forum, obviously, but don't be surprised if what you've quoted is different from my final edit. Luckily, in this case, it wasn't applicable.

No doubt, I've done the same, but I do try to avoid, the 'instantly post after someone else has' syndrome.

I dunno, I think it's reasonable to expect someone to have said what they meant to say and checked it BEFORE hitting "send". Sometimes I'll have to do after-editing too, but that's my problem, not anybody else's, and I'm not gonna get annoyed with anyone else for it.
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I dunno, I think it's reasonable to expect someone to have said what they meant to say and checked it BEFORE hitting "send". Sometimes I'll have to do after-editing too, but that's my problem, not anybody else's, and I'm not gonna get annoyed with anyone else for it.

I always make it clear that I've added an edit otherwise it is unfair on those responding to you

almost a way to catch them out
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In fact I'm going to do that in everyday conversation

'Now are you sure that's what you wanted to say - I shall give your four minutes before I respond just in case you want to change your mind'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always make it clear that I've added an edit otherwise it is unfair on those responding to you

almost a way to catch them out

Oh, me too if it's a fast-moving thread and it changes the sense of things, unless it's just correcting a typo or adding a fish pun or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In fact I'm going to do that in everyday conversation

'Now are you sure that's what you wanted to say - I shall give your four minutes before I respond just in case you want to change your mind'

Like a cooling-off period for buying guns? Haha, yeah, I like it.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bizarrely, I had one of DS's more prolific posters have a go at me for using the word "deaf". She said that it was the same as the N word and that I was ignorant an insensitive and that I was probably the type to call people spastics. It took about thirty seconds to find a couple of posts of hers where she called herself deaf, which I don't think she appreciated.
    Forum Member

To be fair, that's your problem, not anybody else's.

I try to avoid making errors in the first place. It happens, of course it does. But it's sensible to proof read your post before submitting it, to prevent the above scenario that irritates you so much.

To be even fairer, the post you are talking about wasn't relevant to the thread in question, so I agree with Pull2Open who said you weren't comparing like with like. You weren't.

Remember the conversation we had at the time? Those points still stand.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Was this long enough?!?

What annoys me, are people who fire off an angry or smart arsed response only to get annoyed with other posters who 'stupidly' reply to what they think is their view before they realise they've made a complete arse of themselves and need to edit!
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Bizarrely, I had one of DS's more prolific posters have a go at me for using the word "deaf". She said that it was the same as the N word and that I was ignorant an insensitive and that I was probably the type to call people spastics. It took about thirty seconds to find a couple of posts of hers where she called herself deaf, which I don't think she appreciated.

Lol, I remember that! :D Weird, very weird!
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many times :)

The DS Amateur Comedians company have me on their death list I don't doubt :D
    Forum Member

That then, would be just about every post for me, as one poster on here kindly pointed out 'I should learn to read'.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Lol, I remember that! :D Weird, very weird!

Good for a laugh, though. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That then, would be just about every post for me, as one poster on here kindly pointed out 'I should learn to read'.

If you want to avoid conflict and confusion then so be it! Otherwise, you're going to get annoyed frequently!

Or you could simply make sure that your post is complete before hitting the submit button!
This discussion has been closed.