Theatre Musicals that you would like to see as a film.

2»

Comments

• Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss sigon
    Book of Mormon
    Avenue q
    Little mermaid: broadway version

Remake

Shock treatment
  • mrtrobzmrtrobz Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently they are making a movie musical of Beauty and the Beast. If this is true I will be first to reserve seats. :)
  • lozblokelozbloke Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Chess - the story is really cinematic as it is. Done well, it could make a great movie adaptation
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss Saigon, Blood Brothers and Chess could all be great movies with the right casts and sung live like Les Mis. And I've never understood why someone thought a Jersey Boys movie was a good idea yet no-one's thought to make Sunset Boulevard into a film...

Even We Will Rock You would probably work, it was so wacky it would translate pretty well to screen, and there'd be a lot of scope for crazy set designs etc. I don't think Matilda as a musical film could top the original though, it's one that works better on stage as a musical and as a straight comedy/drama on film I think.

Wicked is the obvious one though if the film studio ever gets its act together. There are a fair few decent young actresses around at the minute who could take it on - Samantha Barks as Elphaba and Anna Kendrick as Glinda (if she's got the vocal range) spring to mind.
    spiney2 wrote: »
    into the woods, but i think they ARE making a film ......

Yep, Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Emily Blunt , Anna Kendrick and (for some inexplicable reason) James Corden...
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Sister Act, Starlight Express (not sure how they would do it though), Lend Me A Tenor. I'll try and think of more.

You do know Sister Act the musical is based on a movie which itself had a fair bit of singing in it...

Lend Me a Tenor was a flop (though I did love it), so I don't think that will ever end up on film.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miss Saigon, Blood Brothers and Chess could all be great movies with the right casts and sung live like Les Mis. And I've never understood why someone thought a Jersey Boys movie was a good idea yet no-one's thought to make Sunset Boulevard into a film...

Even We Will Rock You would probably work, it was so wacky it would translate pretty well to screen, and there'd be a lot of scope for crazy set designs etc. I don't think Matilda as a musical film could top the original though, it's one that works better on stage as a musical and as a straight comedy/drama on film I think.

Wicked is the obvious one though if the film studio ever gets its act together. There are a fair few decent young actresses around at the minute who could take it on - Samantha Barks as Elphaba and Anna Kendrick as Glinda (if she's got the vocal range) spring to mind.

Yep, Meryl Streep, Johnny Depp, Emily Blunt , Anna Kendrick and (for some inexplicable reason) James Corden...

You do know Sister Act the musical is based on a movie which itself had a fair bit of singing in it...

Lend Me a Tenor was a flop (though I did love it), so I don't think that will ever end up on film.

Of course I do. There are only four songs really in the film and there are 19/20 Original songs in the Musical. It's also set in a different era. You can't compare the film to the Musical but I love them both.

I loved Lend Me A Tenor and I think some of the reasons it flopped were because it was an original score, with no real celebrity casting (Matthew Kelly is not a big box office draw) and a plot which is not very well known. That is the main problem the West End has at the moment. For most shows to succeed, they need to have an element of familiarity about them for people to spend money to see them - which is understandable when you look at the prices of some shows. It does sadly cause good shows to be labelled flops.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mystical, your acting choices for wicked are brilliant and realistic
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss Saigon. Not only is it a great musical - a South Pacific* of our age - but it is a very cinematic story. It is, essentially, a doomed love story between two people of different cultures played out against an epic background of war. Even the stage show's showcase moment - the helicopter landing onstage - is a cinematic one.

*For those who have only seen the anaemic (though not in the colour department!) movie version, South Pacific is actually one of the towering achievements of American Musical Theatre; a full-flooded plea for tolerance and justice. The 1958 film version was bad enough, but it was mugged again by American TV a few years ago. If ever a musical deserved a proper big screen treatment, South Pacific is the one.
  • Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to see a remake of Little shop of horrors, joseph gordon-levitt is supposed to making one.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to see a remake of Little shop of horrors, joseph gordon-levitt is supposed to making one.

Oh no
    The original is fine as it is
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Sunset Boulevard, but only if it's starring Glenn Close.

Yes, a thousand times yes. They were talking about it years ago, I was gutted it never got off the ground.

Another vote for Starlight Express but I also don't know how they'd do it. Plus I'd only be interested if they had CB in it, he's my favourite. Also bring back Belle the Sleeping Car. :D

There's a soundtrack I found online a while ago called The Dolls of New Albion which I would kill to see turned into a movie.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope they keep the original down-beat ending this time.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could got for a re-make of shock treatment. Keep all of Richard O'brian's music, just give it a more sensible story...
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, a thousand times yes. They were talking about it years ago, I was gutted it never got off the ground.

Another vote for Starlight Express but I also don't know how they'd do it. Plus I'd only be interested if they had CB in it, he's my favourite. Also bring back Belle the Sleeping Car. :D

There's a soundtrack I found online a while ago called The Dolls of New Albion which I would kill to see turned into a movie.

Yes, Belle would be perfect for some stunt-casting although I can't think who off the top of my head. Maybe Mary J Blige.