Options

when to call someone partner

threadstarterthreadstarter Posts: 1,391
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Steven refers to Kimberley as his partner, now I know there are hard and fast rules for when it is generally considered to be appropriate to use girlfriend/boyfriend and partner but it seemed to me that he has started using partner sooner than people usually do, don't people refer to their new friend as boyfriend/girlfriend for a while longer and then maybe someway down the line start calling them partner?

Comments

• Options
    Wildrover06Wildrover06 Posts: 4,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt if he even knows the colour of her eyes.
  • Options
    racol5racol5 Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Frankie BoyleFrankie Boyle Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Apparently he loves her as I've heard him say it over a million times and I've thrown up each time.
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    There's only one way to settle it. What's the legal term used to describe their relationship on Kimberly's restraining order? :D
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Right click - personalise - pick any eye colour he wants.
  • Options
    farlofanfarlofan Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Grey probably, to match the personality.
  • Options
    chavetchavet Posts: 2,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After you say, 'Howdy', prob'ly.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say the norm is probably when you move in together as that's when the relationship really steps up from just being boyfriend/girlfriend.

Calling someone your partner after a few weeks and one 30 second shag is a bit soon imo
  • Options
    ***netty******netty*** Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    My boyfriend always calls me his partner but I call him my boyfriend. I just think partner doesn't sound very romantic.
  • Options
    Cornish GirlCornish Girl Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My boyfriend always calls me his partner but I call him my boyfriend. I just think partner doesn't sound very romantic.

It always makes me think of business partners! The trouble I had was I got married when I was 39 and I felt too old to call my other half my boyfriend so he ended up a partner/other half until I could call him my husband!!
  • Options
    azureanneazureanne Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never thought about this but I think you have to at least dated. There's is more like a holiday romance + never heard anybody come back off hols with a partner. I'm surprise he didn't refer to her as his fiancè or future wife!!
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Steven refers to Kimberley as his partner, now I know there are hard and fast rules for when it is generally considered to be appropriate to use girlfriend/boyfriend and partner but it seemed to me that he has started using partner sooner than people usually do, don't people refer to their new friend as boyfriend/girlfriend for a while longer and then maybe someway down the line start calling them partner?

What hard and fast rules are these? I've never heard of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seemed weird, but then again it come out of his mouth and he is kinda weird, he seemed all cocky when saying it,
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would use partner as soon as it was established that I was commited to being with someone. Calling someone my boyfriend never sounded right after I hit 30...boyfriends and girlfriends sound a bit teenagey really.

Seeing as he is already planning the wedding, babies, pledging his soul to the devil in order to be able to follow her into the next life with a chainsaw etc.....it seems quite a reasonable term for him to use.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    When I saw him having that conversation in the DR I was like ooooooooh shut up you pillock, it was like he kept saying partner over again just incase we had managed to forgot in the short time Kimberly had left that they had a serious showma.....I mean relationship. I wanted Big Brother to say in the coldest voice possible.....if you loved your PARTNER as much as you keep whining about, you know where the door is. Either go and be with her......or stay in and hear nothing. Think we'll of seen then who steven really cares about....number one.
  • Options
    threadstarterthreadstarter Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    What hard and fast rules are these? I've never heard of them.
    oops missed a word out but looks like everyone got the drift

now I know there are not hard and fast rules
  • Options
    StrawberryLacesStrawberryLaces Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently he loves her as I've heard him say it over a million times and I've thrown up each time.

But don't you know how much he loves her?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    But don't you know how much he loves her?

Haha i love ( or hate, im not too sure) just how deluded he is, next he'll be claiming hes a real lads lad who always lets the ladies do the chasing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    ashley87 wrote: »
    When I saw him having that conversation in the DR I was like ooooooooh shut up you pillock, it was like he kept saying partner over again just incase we had managed to forgot in the short time Kimberly had left that they had a serious showma.....I mean relationship. I wanted Big Brother to say in the coldest voice possible.....if you loved your PARTNER as much as you keep whining about, you know where the door is. Either go and be with her......or stay in and hear nothing. Think we'll of seen then who steven really cares about....number one.

Spot on! Total pillock.

I don't know about you, but for me, it was the use of 'my partner' that really got on my nerves. It seemed like he was saying it as though she was his possession - rather than saying 'Kim', he had to keep saying 'my partner'.
  • Options
    StrawberryLacesStrawberryLaces Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theredendi wrote: »
    Spot on! Total pillock.

I don't know about you, but for me, it was the use of 'my partner' that really got on my nerves. It seemed like he was saying it as though she was his possession - rather than saying 'Kim', he had to keep saying 'my partner'.

Bang on, typical control freak phrase! :o And yet somehow he seems so desperate to be loved.
  • Options
    AOTBAOTB Posts: 9,708
    Forum Member
    When you're a cowboy?
  • Options
    Sachin_Shah1Sachin_Shah1 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    It was absolutely stomach churning when he mentioned the term partner...as if they had been together for 10 years or so.

" you know she's my partner...so erm...you know we sleep together and stuff " ..(whilst reclining back on the diary room sofa nochalantly and stuffing his face with toast and speaking at the same time like a farmyard pig)