burning surround sound cd/dvd audio discs

pretty sure i've posted a similar question before so apologies for asking the same thing twice but i've forgotten what to do :blush:

i have a few files on the laptop 1411kbit .wav files of albums which are generally around 700mb-1gb and then a couple of .iso files which are around 3gb

i want to burn cd or dvd audio discs that i can play in surround sound. i have a fairly old system the sony dav-dz260 but i know that i can put these files on discs and get surround sound from them because i've done it before.

i used software called imgburn last time i think but having tried a few times this morning i'm burning files as a data disc ..i think? and they won't play back.

Anyway would really appreciate any advice on what to do it's probably very straightforward but i'm rubbish with technology.

cheers :)

Comments

• misarmisar Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iso files are images of a CD or DVD. If they use a data format that is what you get when you burn to a real disk. You can only get a standard audio CD or DVD if you extract the individual data files (usually mp3) and start again (see below).

The wav files (or mp3) need to be converted to the standard audio CD format before burning a disk. ImgBurn can do all of this - read the guides on their web site and forum.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burning software just takes the end result of of your video or audio authoring software and treats it as "files" regardless of their actual contents! dont matter much which burning prog you use, as long as it works properly on your computer.

2.0 sound - as used on freeview sd for example - does have surrund sound coded into it on the sq matrix system. you get surround out via the pro logic decoder on a home cinema system. however, the surround effect is not as good as in cinemas because the haas precedence effect does not work so well in the "small space" of a living room. for which, 5.1 is better but obviously takes up more disc space !

various authoring software for dvd and mp4 formats etc will give the option of either 2.0 or 5.0 sound. then you just burn the resulting output to disc with burning software.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dvdflick is freeware and will produce a dvdplayer compaible dvd. with the option of different sound formats. but the dvd format uses more disk space than mp4 video .... handbrake is popuular for making mp4 video ......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... for cds then of course you need to burn to cd format for cd player compatiblity. unless youre converting to mp3 format for storage space reduction. in either case,
    the 2.0 (stereo) format either has surround sound already on it, or doesnt. making a copy via burning software will not alter this, even if you change from cd to mp3 format, or vice versa.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... dvd and cd must be burned as "standard format" for standalone dvd or cd players.

mp4 video and mp3 sound files are more highly compressed and take up much less storage space. they will play on computers in most media players, and on pods and phones, but not on most standalone dvd or cd players.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... your existing files ...... a wav file can easily be converted to different formats including cd, which should also play on a dvd player after burning. surround sound is not affected as said above.

an iso file is a more general format and might include anything inside it ! including a complete film in various possible formats which might or might not be standard dvd. if you cant remember exactly what you did before then its possible to peek inside the iso structure using something like magic iso software to see whats there ...........
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an iso file is a "general purpose storage container". some software might use this format for storing and archiving. its possible that previous software stored files in this way, then extracted the contents and burned them to disk in correct format. either a dvd movie or collection of audio tracks or whatever ......

if you used imgburn before , is there a "load contents from stored iso file " option on it? if so you might try that.

if not then as i said best option is to peek inside using iso reading software to see whats in there
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers misar and cheers for all the help spiney i'm going to look on the imgburn site at the forum because i'm still a bit stuck. i think i need a computer that just does everything for me haha
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starfoxxx wrote: »
    cheers misar and cheers for all the help spiney i'm going to look on the imgburn site at the forum because i'm still a bit stuck. i think i need a computer that just does everything for me haha

It's pretty simple. The disk burning software probably defaults to burning a data disk, even though you are telling it to burn audio WAV files. So what you have to do is explicitly tell it to burn an Audio CD. It will then handle converting the WAV or mp3 files into the format used by Audio CDs and creating a disk you can play on your Sony system.

The ISO files are a different matter as they are disk images. So whether you end up with an Audio CD or a Data CD depends on what the original of the image was. If it was a data disk then you will need to extract the audio files from the image and burn them separately as an Audio CD.

As for surround sound. Most audio CDs are just two channel audio. They also probably don't have any surround sound information encoded into them. The ProLogic decoder in the Sony however can use the information that is present in the audio to generate a sort of surround sound effect.

There is also the option available to the producers of the audio to encode a surround sound original into a two channel format that the ProLogic decoder can use to recreate a much more convincing surround effect.

The ultimate though is a fully discrete system where the surround channels are kept totally separate from source studio to playback in your living room.