Options

Absolute dumbo - I've no idea if this is possible

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
I've decided to cancel my Sky subscription as I watch mainly terrestial channels with the odd foray into Dave or Living. I'm hard of hearing and use subtitles so the lack of subtitles in sky catch up tv really irks me, hence my decision.

What I have at the mo

A Samsung UE40E57000UXXU TV

A sky+ box

A yamaha sound bar

A sky link to connect to bedroom TV

What I'd like to do

Be able to record both freeview and freesat channels (The one channel I want to keep that's not on Freesat is Dave) and retain the watch one record one option

Play DVDs

Access catch up tv with subtitles - I've found the Samsung apps don't support subtitles apart from the iPlayer one.

My questions

Is it possible to buy a combined freeview & freesat PVR or do I need to have 2?

If it is possible is there a model with a DVD player included?

Can I easily stream/pipe/feed from the living room to my 2nd tv to watch tv in bed?

Does anyone have any info on how to get subtitles on Samsung catch up tv apps?

Does anyone have any more insightful suggestions to meeting my needs?

All constructive comments appreciated

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My questions

Is it possible to buy a combined freeview & freesat PVR or do I need to have 2?
    I don't know of any combo units. So looks like you'll have to find room for two.
    If it is possible is there a model with a DVD player included?
    DVD Recorders with hard drives are available. Which is pretty much the same thing as a Freeview PVR with DVD player. Except you can record stuff to DVD as well. :) Problem is they seem to be becoming rarer these days so maybe a separate DVD or maybe Blu-Ray player might be a better bet. Though does add to the box/remote/mains plug count :)
    Can I easily stream/pipe/feed from the living room to my 2nd tv to watch tv in bed?
    This may be the deal breaker. If you have a cable from the RF 2 socket on the back of the Sky box to the bedroom TV at present than you are going to be disappointed. The Sky box has a modulator on board that generates an analogue TV signal you tune the bedroom TV into. These are as rare as hens teeth on Freeview/Freesat PVRs. Even the new Sky boxes no longer fit a modulator as standard, it's now an optional plug in dongle.

The options are streaming over the network, if the Freexxxx boxes have that ability and you have a suitable Smart TV or box in the bedroom as well as a network connection of some sort (cable/Homeplugs/WiFi). That would apply only to recordings not live TV.

Or a video sender plugged into a SCART socket. This sends the audio and video wirelessly to the remote TV. Though results can be variable and prone to signal interference. Remote control back to the Freexxx box may be an issue as well.
    Does anyone have any info on how to get subtitles on Samsung catch up tv apps?
    It may not be down to Samsung. It could be the providers of the catch-up service,eg BBC iPlayer and the ITV/C4/C5 equivalents. I assume you have read the manual and gone through all the menus to see if subtitles are available. It may be different to pressing the SUB button or whatever it's called on the remote as you would for Freeview.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks to chrisrj and Winston_1 for your suggestions. I'm not a very techie person and don't really want a load of remotes so I'm currently thinking along the lines of buying a freeview/bluray pvr and just putting up with the lack of recording for freesat.

I'll look into the modulator solution too. Might have to play the little girlie and flutter my eyelashes at somebody to help me. :blush:

The reason I'm leaving sky is the fact that none of their catch up tv is subtitled. I'm getting really frustrated as I can't hear tv well enough to make sense of it even with the sound turned up to annoying levels. >:(
  • Options
    SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Its interestiing to see DVB modulators dropping to that sort of price point. Almost at the point where it's just a consumer device.
  • Options
    marceljackmarceljack Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting really frustrated as I can't hear tv well enough to make sense of it even with the sound turned up to annoying levels. >:(
    Have you tried a wireless headphone ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marceljack wrote: »
    Have you tried a wireless headphone ?

Yes sadly I have, I've just lost so much of my high frequency hearing that I can hear sound, but not make out meaning, so just raising the volume doesn't help me. >:( That's why subtitles are so important to me.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm especially impressed by the statement: "Also for come racial use you can insert a USB memory stick with photos or videos and this too can be distributed on a freeveiw signal that will play in a consent loop."

Presumably that's for come racial consenting adults only? ;)
  • Options
    Wolfie_SmithWolfie_Smith Posts: 452
    Forum Member
    Don't use homeplugs. They will cause interference to your neighbours up to several hundred metres away.

I'm surprised chrisjr did not mention stand alone modulators as a solution. These can be obtained in analogue form quite cheaply from ebay. Or to future proof for rather more money get a DVB-T type.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RF-MODULATOR-CONVERT-SCART-OR-PHONO-TO-AERIAL-RF-COAX-/191253782331?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Other&hash=item2c879d1f3b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Single-channel-Digital-Dvb-T-Modulator-/321488397200?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Signal_Amplifiers_Filters&hash=item4ada33a390

Ignore this, nothing wrong with homeplugs, very useful and in use by thousands of people and perfectly legal to own and use. Same old rubbish from this poster
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ignore this, nothing wrong with homeplugs, very useful and in use by thousands of people and perfectly legal to own and use. Same old rubbish from this poster
    It's not rubbish, although Winston doesn't help his own case by dismissing all PLT devices as equally bad.

They work by sending radio signals over power wiring, and since power wiring isn't designed as a transmisison line it will act like an aerial and some of that signal will be radiated. That's basic physics.

Properly-designed PLT devices have filters to avoid radio frequencies used by the general public and can work well, unfortunately some are not properly designed and/or deliberately ignore the standards. There's plenty of documented evidence to show that such devices do cause interference. Unfortunately Ofcom is, as usual, a complete waste of space and refuses to properly enforce the regulations, so the non-compliant ones are still on sale.

By all means use PLT devices if they work for you, but don't be surprised if you get complaints from the neighbours and/or a visit from the interfence investigation services. You would be advised to buy good branded devices, not cheap Chinese imports from eBay, and look for customer reviews first.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    There is plenty of things wrong with homeplugs. They WILL cause interference in every case.

As usual, utter and complete NONSENSE - there are millions in use, and hardly any interference caused at all.

There is a tiny chance that interference 'could' result from their use, and the supposed 'proof' that you have posted in the past show how absolutely small it is, and that the ONLY interference has been caused to radio amateurs.

Almost everything electronic radiates to some degree, this doesn't mean all electronic devices cause interference - only that they all have a slight chance of doing so.

So, use Homeplugs if you want, they are perfectly legal - and almost 100% absolutely sure NOT to cause any interference. And if you should happen to fall in the tiny percentage (no idea how many decimal places less than one?) that could have a problem, then you could always look for other solutions then.
  • Options
    JonCollettJonCollett Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    Hello

You asked if there was such a thing as a freeview/freesat receiver with the ability to record, I found this on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technomate-TM-7102-HD-Tripe-Tuner-Satellite-DVB-S2-Terrestrial-T2-Receiver-500GB-/201116708557?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_TV_Receivers&hash=item2ed37d6ecd

This seems to do some of ehat you want - I haevn't seen one with a built in DVD player though (but that doesn't mean that one doesn't exist).

Best regards

Jon
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As usual, utter and complete NONSENSE - there are millions in use, and hardly any interference caused at all.

There is a tiny chance that interference 'could' result from their use, and the supposed 'proof' that you have posted in the past show how absolutely small it is, and that the ONLY interference has been caused to radio amateurs.
    You may like to google 'PLT interference', you'll find many articles (including some from the BBC describing PLT interference to DAB broadcasts) suggesting that it isn't just radio amateurs who suffer.

Still, like some other posters here, if pollution doesn't cause problems for you then hey, why should you care about it at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is NOT nonsense at as you well know. It is not radio amateurs in general that suffer as their frequencies are notched out for the reasons I gave above. But even if it was they pay a licence to use the airwaves and should not have their hobby ruined by this flawed technology.

There is a BBC white paper showing that interference can be caused to normal FM radio. Air traffic control uses similar frequencies, it would not be a good idea to interfere with this would it now?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/publications/whitepaper195

Do you ever read the links you post?, or even read what you write? - you even put 'can' in your post above, as opposed to your normal assertion that all HomePlugs cause interference to all your neighbours.

If you didn't over exaggerate and make totally misleading claims all the time you might get a little more support for your pointless crusade!.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget that whilst an RF output may not be possible with other equipment, HDMI splitting (if you are using a device with HDMI output and your bedroom TV has a HDMI input, may mean you can watch TV in bed from downstairs and with much iomproved picture and sound quality. Simply replace the RF lead going upstars with a long HDMI lead and get a splitter (if the distance s relatively small). If not, a CAT-5 cable can be used instead and is much cheaper for longer measures of it, and use HDMI extending modules at each end. It will of course cost more than RF cabling, but it's a not too expensive method worth thinking about if watching in another room is something you really would like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course I do. All Homeplugs DO radiate interference when used as intended. You can't change the laws of physics.

Again, utter and complete nonsense - all electronics radiate some degree of RF - this ISN'T interference.

Interference is what happens if the said RF causes problems with another service - if it's not causing any problems, then there is no interference. OFCOM's own statistics prove that there's effectively no interference caused by Homeplugs, as it's far too small to have any significance.

You're just making yourself look more and more stupid by repeatedly posting the same completely untrue and exaggerated suggestions.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to chrisrj and Winston_1 for your suggestions. I'm not a very techie person and don't really want a load of remotes so I'm currently thinking along the lines of buying a freeview/bluray pvr and just putting up with the lack of recording for freesat.

I'll look into the modulator solution too. Might have to play the little girlie and flutter my eyelashes at somebody to help me. :blush:

The reason I'm leaving sky is the fact that none of their catch up tv is subtitled. I'm getting really frustrated as I can't hear tv well enough to make sense of it even with the sound turned up to annoying levels. >:(

I think the best thing would be a Freesat PVR such as the Humax HB-1000S or HB-1010S or an equivalent Freeview+ or Youview PVR both of which will let you record and a separate blu-ray player. If you don't want a universal remote control just put up with having an extra remote for when you watch blu-ray/DVD.

The modulator issue is separate but one that can easily be dealt with, do the latest Sky boxes still have this built in?

I think subtitles are available on Freesat catch up but I'll check later on when I get the chance and confirm or deny this.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    The modulator issue is separate but one that can easily be dealt with, do the latest Sky boxes still have this built in?

The latest Sky boxes do not have a built in modulator. There is however a multipin socket on the back into which you can plug an optional dongle that does the job.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I think subtitles are available on Freesat catch up but I'll check later on when I get the chance and confirm or deny this.

Well I've tried my Freesat Freetime box and subtitling on catch up depends upon the provider. On the programmes I tries only BBC had subtitles, none of the others did. I would assume Youview is the same.

To be honest catch up on Freetime and Youview (subtitles notwithstanding) is massively inferior to that on Sky, my advice to anyone is to try and make sure you have your PVR set to record rather than relying on catch up. I've had my freesat box a month and haven't needed catch up once yet, I had Sky catch up pretty much from the start and only ever used it two or three times despite it being much better.
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For gawds sake. It is interference. Walk down almost any residential road with a SW radio and you will hear homeplugs chirping over all the bands interfering with broadcasting stations.

As a VERY long time SW radio listener I can assure you that SW reception was plagued with interference long before PCs existed, never mind the Homeplugs to network them. Even with expensive receivers we used high external aerials with shielded downleads to minimise interference from sources such as household wiring, switches (especially fridge thermostats) and passing traffic. These days the number and variety of potential electrical noise sources has increased exponentially. Perhaps you could tell us how, when walking down the road, you are able to be so certain that Homeplugs are the sources of the interference you keep finding on your little portable SW radio.
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sending digital signals down mains cables is legal, but is not a good idea. The wiring to light switches acts as transmission aerials.
    If you can use wifi or network cable instead, many of us would prefer it. Thanks.