LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 25)

Comments

• FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valid points.:D Was it Charles 1 who introduced tax or

before?...I could imagine a rich landowner wanting to

screw his tenents?:mad:
    The concept of taxation in this country goes way back to medieval times. Originally it was just land tax or 'the geld' as it was known. That was around in William the Conqueror's time.
  • coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody know why Clive Bull only does 2 hour shows?

I've noticed they've extended the Drive show so that Clive can do 8 'til 10 & I was wondering why this was.

I was wondering this, and thought it might be more to do with Iain than Clive. Perhaps they want to allow Iain to still have a relativity 'quiet' hour 7 - 8pm for more phone in discussion, as the rest of the show is quite fast paced and hectic. If it was about reducing Clive's load, they woudnt have cut Ian Collins' show on Friday, or Clive would have moved to Friday from Sunday.

My other thought was, they dont want people switching over to the BBC 'Local' radio programme at 7pm, so continuing Iain's show makes them more likely to stick with the station.

As VQ has said, I also expect the shows to both become 3 hours in the future.
  • coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    Knew there was a reason i came on here! Bill Buckley fans ? He's back!

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/travelled-broadcaster-Buckley-Radio-Devon-road/story-18381054-detail/story.html#axzz2NDcqwfBt

Edit: Also just noticed this is my post number 973! Quite fitting it was in this forum!

Excellent News - Im pleased he has a regular gig after all this time - although I don't think Bill would take too kindly to being described as "veteran BBC man" ! Sadly, though, it means he wont be returning to LBC anytime soon :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 477
    Forum Member
    I like JHB and her right wing rants,i am old Labour with champagne attitudes.I won't take her serious and Polly Toynbee would not expect JHB to be over polite about her.

The hypocrisy on this board is partly the problem. Apparently, it's not an issue to be off with guests or callers after 1pm but before 1pm, when it's O'Brien, it's shameful and disrespectful.

I take her seriously because she's helping perpetuate lots of myths and non-arguments that are helping dismantle the welfare state, human rights &c.

She repeats the same bollocks about people not wanting to work nearly every show and reels out the 'she knows because she knows someone personally who doesn't want to work'. Doesn't change the fact that there's a massive job shortage - even by the government's own reckoning.

I discovered this today, which maybe of interest to some: http://www.nomisweb.co.uk/ the official labour market statistics. It's searchable by town and postcode. I've found out there's 9.9 JSA claimants in my area for every job centre vacancy.
  • TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamie6767 wrote: »
    James Whale's contract wasnt renewed. Iain has moved to Drivetime, Clive Bull returns at 8pm.

Reading between the lines I think there is more to it than a simple 'contract wasn't renewed'.

If you think back JW did LBC drive on Thursday (His last as we now know), at some point of Friday JW was told his contract wasn't going to be renewed.

Somehow I don't think Radio contracts expire as fast as that. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I have listened to ID from 16.00 hrs today and I have to say I do not think he is suited to the Drivetime slot, He was much better at 19.00 to 22.00
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about the lack of ranting (from callers and presenter!) but I'd have described the interviews as 'easy' rather than 'good'.
    Hm! It's all a little bit 'meh' really.Perhaps that's what the majority of LBC listeners like, but ID is too soft an interviewer for me with too many obvious questions being asked as I suspected would be the case. And too many inane texts being read out. It's early days but maybe I'll stick with 5 Live Drive if this continues.
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading between the lines I think there is more to it than a simple 'contract wasn't renewed'.

If you think back JW did LBC drive on Thursday (His last as we now know), at some point of Friday JW was told his contract wasn't going to be renewed.

Somehow I don't think Radio contracts expire as fast as that. Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

I have listened to ID from 16.00 hrs today and I have to say I do not think he is suited to the Drivetime slot, He was much better at 19.00 to 22.00

James' contract will be most likely until the end of the month, LBC have just put him on gardening leave meaning he will get paid this month but instead of him being on air they have him on gardening leave. It's quite a common thing and the same will happen to most big names.
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    The concept of taxation in this country goes way back to medieval times. Originally it was just land tax or 'the geld' as it was known. That was around in William the Conqueror's time.

Land tax was pre-Conquest by quite a long time. I've got transcripts of some Geld payments somewhere. There were quite a lot of taxation going on pre-Conquest. Trade taxes appear to have been similar to the sales taxes in America, with different rates from different Kingdoms/states. The Anglo-Saxons had a fairly well-developed 'bureaucratic state' which the Normans later capitalised on.

Most well-known form of Geld was Danegeld though, although arguably that was more a case of genuine, out-and-out extortion.

An early-medieaval LBC would have been similar to today with cart-driving peasants ringing-in to complain about foreigners barely speaking the language, coming over here, taking our houses, jobs, women, sending money back home...
    Forum Member
    Hm! It's all a little bit 'meh' really.Perhaps that's what the majority of LBC listeners like, but ID is too soft an interviewer for me with too many obvious questions being asked as I suspected would be the case. And too many inane texts being read out. It's early days but maybe I'll stick with 5 Live Drive if this continues.

I like the measured quality of Dale's presenting just wish political interviews would be more, I don't know, 'sharp'? Also, I can't imagine that he'd give someone like Fox a difficult interview under any circumstances. He's too partisan. The only thing that really tempers his views is he's liberal on some social issues like sexuality, gender equality &c which, arguably, makes him look less C/conservative than he actually is.
  • TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »
    James' contract will be most likely until the end of the month, LBC have just put him on gardening leave meaning he will get paid this month but instead of him being on air they have him on gardening leave. It's quite a common thing and the same will happen to most big names.

True Radio Dad but my main point was WHY.

Do you not think it very odd that a presenter says something like 'Back tomorrow' and then is not?
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have to agree(mind you that was my view from the off) i bet Liam Fox loved the interview ID done with him no difficult questions JW would probably have given him a harder time.

Iain Dale is more suited to the 7pm-10pm slot IMO.
  • Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Didn't the vikings bring in Danegeld?
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you not think it very odd that a presenter says something like 'Back tomorrow' and then is not?

No? Happens all the time, its so the presenter doesn't do a Danny Baker or makes a big scene about them leaving.
  • Inge JonesInge Jones Posts: 11,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These presenters who go on about people making a lifestyle choice not to work - even if they're right, I'd rather the people who DO want to work got the limited number of jobs, rather than having people who didn't want to work taking them. These days it's a privilege to have a job, a privilege that should go first to those who would really appreciate one.
  • RedunitedRedunited Posts: 1,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drop Anthony davis.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that was my first night of not listening to the drive time programme.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its like someone at work saying goodnight to his fellow workers. They all go home then (s)he's suddenly called into his/her bosses office and is sacked.
  • TyeverasTyeveras Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    Land tax was pre-Conquest by quite a long time. I've got transcripts of some Geld payments somewhere. There were quite a lot of taxation going on pre-Conquest. Trade taxes appear to have been similar to the sales taxes in America, with different rates from different Kingdoms/states. The Anglo-Saxons had a fairly well-developed 'bureaucratic state' which the Normans later capitalised on.

Most well-known form of Geld was Danegeld though, although arguably that was more a case of genuine, out-and-out extortion.

An early-medieaval LBC would have been similar to today with cart-driving peasants ringing-in to complain about foreigners barely speaking the language, coming over here, taking our houses, jobs, women, sending money back home...

Tax goes way back further than that. The Romans taxed all their provinces (including Britannia). They even privatised their tax collection system (Shhh - don't tell Dave). How else do you think they paid for the aqueducts, roads, sanitation, public order and all the other things they ever did for us?

However a Londinum BC would not have survived long taking calls criticising the Emperor. Angles? Saxons? Bloody foreigners - Crucifixion's too good for 'em!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the vikings bring in Danegeld?
    Probably. But I was making the point to a poster that the idea of taxation was already established in Norman times well before Charles !. In fact the Romans are believed to have a system of taxation in place. Maybe that's something else the Romans did for us. ;)
  • Kezia7Kezia7 Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Excellent News - Im pleased he has a regular gig after all this time - although I don't think Bill would take too kindly to being described as "veteran BBC man" ! Sadly, though, it means he wont be returning to LBC anytime soon :cry:

I'm so pleased he's got a job in Devon......thank goodness as it means he won't be back on LBC anytime soon!!
  • redmundredmund Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JM will be upset as he follows this forum:eek:

I don't think so somehow. :rolleyes:
  • redmundredmund Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now you're talking; beautiful articulation. Canterbury, according to a biog. on the BBC website.

I must admit I have an audio crush on Rupert. :o
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    He speaks so clearly and doesn't shout at all - unlike some.
    Probably from an Indian family going by the spelling of the surname. I could listen to him all day. :)

Rupert Bhatia - Yes, he does read the news perfectly and when you listen you know he's passionate about being a journalist.

Then at 5am Sam Pittis comes in and shouts the news at us with a massive deep breath in each news item, should slow down a bit.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,856
    Forum Member
    I'm getting really tired of LBC and LBC presenters saying "The Legend" Clive Bull! On what basis are they calling him a legend? Because he is popular with some posters on this thread? :confused:

In any case I'm finding it very tedious. It reminds me of how the Lib Dems where so dropping the mentioning of Vince Cable's name before the last General Election at any given opportunity. It was so obvious that they must have had some kind of brain storming session where they had decided to drop Cable's name into virtually everything and that none of us would notice the "tactic"! :rolleyes:
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    Duncan Barkes taking calls all though his show from drivers stranded on roads in Kent and Sussex due to Snow.

At 3am LBC must be the only station doing this.
This discussion has been closed.