Would you follow a 'tip' if you knew nothing about horse racing?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
Forum Member
I did. I'm doing a course at college, and one of the other mature students is a massive racing fan, and was going on about this horse running at Doncaster. "14/1, he loves this course, everyone's overlooking him, honestly, he's a cert."

So I pushed the boat out and put on £1 to win and £1 to be 'placed'. I have a Bet365 I usually use for small football bets... anyway... he stormed home! :D

http://postimg.org/image/h0kgz73np/

I know sod all about horse racing, and just pick a Grand National horse going by the name, or blue colours... I'm defo gonna ask this guy this year, though...

Comments

• SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't take tips on the Grand National anything can happen.

I was good mates with a bookie for years and he used to get a call about 5 minutes before a dog race (not his shop) to lump on a dog as his mate was involved with some kennels and had inside knowledge and even they lost.

10% of sportsbetters are winners 5% break even I'll let you work out the percentage of losers :D

Any shit hot tip will have already been lumped on before hand by pros who got a better price and you'll get shit odds by the time you hear the tip.

Go in any bookies you'll always find someone with a sure thing and then you'll watch it lose.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »
    Don't take tips on the Grand National anything can happen.

I was good mates with a bookie for years and he used to get a call about 5 minutes before a dog race (not his shop) to lump on a dog as his mate was involved with some kennels and had inside knowledge and even they lost.

10% of sportsbetters are winners 5% break even I'll let you work out the percentage of losers :D

Any shit hot tip will have already been lumped on before hand by pros who got a better price and you'll get shit odds by the time you hear the tip.

Go in any bookies you'll always find someone with a sure thing and then you'll watch it lose.:D

Must've got lucky today then!

And fair enough, this guy is a fan, but if he were such a great gambler, he wouldn't be needing to study at a college in his 30s lol, he'd own the college! But I thought there can't be any harm in a couple of quid if he's so sure, he can buy me a coffee if the horse is last or something.