Options

I want a small/compact phone

BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I need to replace my Sony Xperia Mini... tiny little phone, I can hide it under a credit card (though it's quite thick).
In the two or so years since I got it, smart phones seem to have got insanely BIG and today's phones that carry the label "mini" are still flipping enormous even if they're technically smaller than their flagship big brother models.
Can anyone recommend a genuinely small smart phone please? I don't want or need lots of bells and whistles. or speed - does any manufacturer actually make a compact phone anymore???

Comments

• Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nokia Lumia 520 should be small enough for you at 4 inches.
    Cheap and probably a better experience than those ultra-budget android phones.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't even look at cheap android phones unless it's the Moto G. Though you haven't said what your budget it is, but if it is a small budget then apart from the odd app that may not be there you can't really go wrong with the Nokia Lumia 520 or 625.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The moto g isn't really a small phone though. It's 4 .5 inches

What about a Galaxy Ace 2 at 3.8 inches?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all... seems I'm gonna have to take it on the chin and accept a slightly bigger phone then. Suggestions above all look reasonable so I'll nip to shops and have a feel of 'em.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum has a dinky little LG smartphone. It's android but it's not all singing and dancing but it's better than the galaxy ace - I really would not recommend the ace.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    BMR wrote: »
    What about a Galaxy Ace 2 at 3.8 inches?

Can you still buy that phone? I thought it had been superseded by the Ace 3 now? Still a great phone though. I love mine even though I bought it in late 2012.
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you still buy that phone? (the Galaxy Ace 2) I thought it had been superseded by the Ace 3 now? Still a great phone though. I love mine even though I bought it in late 2012.

You can still get it. £140 from Carphone Warehouse. You can even still get the original Ace, although I wouldn't recommend going that low, personally.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lumia 520 that someone mentioned is a good bet for a cheap phone.

If you want something high end, you're pretty much looking at the iPhone 5S or a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact (or whatever its called).
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    instead of the 520, you could go for the 525, pretty much same price except double the memory. 1GB vs 512
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sony Z1 compact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crumbs! They are fricking MASSIVE. and all substantially bigger than my 2" x 3" Xperia Mini.
    Sod it - I'm gonna stick with my tiny baby and maybe get a new battery, as ultimately, it's only fact it runs down a bit quicker that's irked me.
    Hopefully, these things are cyclical and genuinely small phones will become the vogue soon!
  • Options
    1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you still buy that phone? I thought it had been superseded by the Ace 3 now? Still a great phone though. I love mine even though I bought it in late 2012.

you can still buy the original Ace.

http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/phone/samsung/samsung-galaxy-ace/ppay?colourCode=BLACK&gift=undefined&giftType=undefined :o
  • Options
    misarmisar Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    Crumbs! They are fricking MASSIVE. and all substantially bigger than my 2" x 3" Xperia Mini.
    Sod it - I'm gonna stick with my tiny baby and maybe get a new battery, as ultimately, it's only fact it runs down a bit quicker that's irked me.
    Hopefully, these things are cyclical and genuinely small phones will become the vogue soon!

That phone is small (HxW) because it is also relatively thick (D). I find a slightly larger phone (4x3) with almost half the depth is easier to hold and slips easily into a shirt or trouser pocket. Not to mention larger screens which in the world of smart phones is crucial.