Options

What exactly is 'Next-Gen'?

2»

Comments

• Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an excuse to turn gaming consoles in to "Entertainment Media Hubs" and pack it with a heap of expensive content which you can only use if you have what Microsoft or Sony consider to be the 'perfect home setup.'

As E3 2012 demonstrated.
  • Options
    PyramidbreadPyramidbread Posts: 10,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    It's an excuse to turn gaming consoles in to "Entertainment Media Hubs" and pack it with a heap of expensive content which you can only use if you have what Microsoft or Sony consider to be the 'perfect home setup.'

As E3 2012 demonstrated.

E3 2012 pretty much demonstrated why we need new consoles, the current generation has stagnated, there's no real push forward, sure we're getting well written and inventive games, but the majority of games are starting to feel like rehashes.

This generation was the era of the FPS too, I'm hoping with new consoles a new genre takes the forefront.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

As E3 2012 demonstrated.

and what would this 'perfect setup' consist off ?.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and what would this 'perfect setup' consist off ?.

A massive living room. Huge television on the wall. Surround sound speakers. Plenty of room for numerous peripherals and space for you and your three family members to move about in. By move about, I mean flail your arms, legs and other body parts until the Kinect does something useful.

Hands-free. Voice activated. Augmented reality gaming. I'm sure it will all be perfect and run flawlessly for everyone. Welcome to the future.

Meanwhile in the real world, John Smith has crammed everything in to his single-occupant bedroom and nothing works.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Next Generation is a phrase for Home Consoles in regards to the generation releases. Indeed, the Wii U is the first Eighth Generation console on the market, so Next Gen for Nintendo would be the Ninth Generation, where as Next Gen for Sony and Microsoft would be their Eighth Generation Console.

Best check out Wikipedia in this case (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_consoles) to see which console falls into which generation.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    Next Generation is a phrase for Home Consoles in regards to the generation releases. Indeed, the Wii U is the first Eighth Generation console on the market, so Next Gen for Nintendo would be the Ninth Generation, where as Next Gen for Sony and Microsoft would be their Eighth Generation Console.

Best check out Wikipedia in this case (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_consoles) to see which console falls into which generation.

I have issues with that list. While its mostly pretty accurate, can we seriously put the Sega Zone (a 40-in-1 type rehashed MegaDrive) in the same generation as the PS3 / Xbox360?? I think it's less about when they were released, and more about the technology they employ.

To answer the OPs question; For me, "next-gen" should mean technology and design progressing to a point that a new machine can do things that it's predecessors could not. Nintendo's consoles are quite difficult to classify as they do not chase technology in the way that other manufacturers do.

Wii U is clearly next-gen compared to the Wii. But compared to the PS3/ Xbox360 it's more difficult to say. Audio-visually there hasn't been much progress, and the "second screen" / network functionality is also available on the older machines