Need to hire a professional chef...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
Forum Member
... to come to my friend's house and cook us all (probably no more than 8 people) a posh dinner.

Does anyone know of any good ones, which company to use, prices etc - we're based in London...

Any help you can give would be greatly appreaciated!

Comments

• RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aatlae wrote: »
    ... to come to my friend's house and cook us all (probably no more than 8 people) a posh dinner.

Does anyone know of any good ones, which company to use, prices etc - we're based in London...

Any help you can give would be greatly appreaciated!

I don't have any recommendations but what a novel idea - I've never actually heard of it before so will be interested to read other people's experiences....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The chef who catered our wedding has also done a few meals for us and guests - we are not in central London but found them just through a web search for 'private chef/ private caterers' in the area. They also usually come with waiting staff included in the price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Poppy Seed wrote: »
    The chef who catered our wedding has also done a few meals for us and guests - we are not in central London but found them just through a web search for 'private chef/ private caterers' in the area. They also usually come with waiting staff included in the price.

Can I ask roughly how much this cost per head? It's only a very intimate affair, roughly 8 so we shouldn't need a waiting staff!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'll do it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    i'll do it

Got some credentials?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I ask roughly how much this cost per head? It's only a very intimate affair, roughly 8 so we shouldn't need a waiting staff!

They usually have a minimum charge for the evening but £35-£40 per head (they supply the food) for an evening meal - it depends on the produce (having steak, for example, will push the price up). I would def go for the waiting staff, you don't want to be clearing your own plates/serving drinks and the chef much prefers having his own staff waiting in the kitchen to serve. They usually want to come and have a chat and look at your kitchen/oven beforehand - or you can do this over the phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had private caterers a month or so ago for my grandparents' anniversary.

They came over the day before and checked out the ovens/surfaces. Prepared some things at their centre of operations, brought everything else over and did it there. Packed everything up (including plates and pans, they bring their own - or ours did anyway) and left.

We're not in London but I think it was about £40 a head or just under. They had lots of different menus to choose from, and it depends on that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got some credentials?!

I did A level cookery but dropped out after a month
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it sounds quite expensive to me, £40 a head, I don't think I've ever paid that in a restaurant, surely it would be cheaper as they're using your electricity/gas.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even weddings per head are more like only £30 per head.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Price - depends on the quality and reputation of the chef you are hiring, plus what is included (waiting staff, glasses/crockery/ cleaning up) and the quality of produce being used.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poppy Seed wrote: »
    Price - depends on the quality and reputation of the chef you are hiring, plus what is included (waiting staff, glasses/crockery/ cleaning up) and the quality of produce being used.

they do all that in restaurants though and it's still cheaper
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jemima69 wrote: »
    they do all that in restaurants though and it's still cheaper

Not disputing that, just saying that the more well known chefs are more expensive, and having them cater specifically for your tastes in your own home is more of a luxury
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah, I agree, but it still seems well pricey, I know what I'm like though, if someones poking about in my kitchen, I'd have to get involved, they'd hate me!:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just asked and it was actually around £30 a head for us, I got it wrong.