Replacing my Sony CRT - seems like a downgrade!

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,462
    Forum Member
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    btw Nigel, since you don't know anything about T2 switch over, it might be better not to say anything at all.

Except it was YOU who mentioned it, and seem to be claiming it's imminent? - which isn't in any way even vaguely true.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO, Sony "WEGA" CRT's - that's the 50 and 100hz 100% flat screens were some of the best CRT's ever made, as such were most likely the last to be beaten by LCD or even Plasmas on quality. But IMO, that point was reached broadly a while ago and we have now gone passed that point. Some of the Samsungs, and to a lesser extent, some LG's have very impressive pictures indeed, especially when showing a HD source.

I used the word "broadly" with "a while ago" to indicate that in general the picture was surpassed on most "fronts" by then, but with a few area's on LCD's where the CRT was still better, for example viewing angle.

I don't include audio quality in this btw, as built in audio on todays sets is largely dependent on how thin your tv is - the thinner it is, the less room for speakers - worse sound. Audio quality on the built in speakers vary's a lot at the moment, meaning some people may want to enhance the audio of their tv by adding a sound bar, or a Dolby Surround sound system.
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except it was YOU who mentioned it, and seem to be claiming it's imminent? - which isn't in any way even vaguely true.
    I think that these upcoming temporary DVB-T2 multiplexes are hinting towards an imminent switch. ;)
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....after the general election folks (IMO).
    Its "ready to go" but in the bottom drawer for now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    Its definitely a leap into the modern day if you upgrade your TV now.

40 to 42 " has to be the modern day 32 ".

I personally would only consider Freeview HD, that's my personal advice.

Need to be Panasonic from me & I loved my Sony CRT
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course what the OP WILL notice is how POOR the sound is on any new flat screen tv, compared to his sony CRT set.

It still staggers me that manufacturers have not addressed this. ALL that is needed is an optional plug in woofer, that would transform the sound of a modern flat screen tc and would be very cheap to implement if designed in. *

But all that's on offer is surround sound or sound bars at a much higher price.

* I once had a Logic LCD set that had a socket to plug a woofer in, and it did indeed transform the sound quality. but the set was rubbish in other respects so I didn't keep it long
    Forum Member
    xp95 wrote: »
    I think that these upcoming temporary DVB-T2 multiplexes are hinting towards an imminent switch. ;)

So it's entirely in your imagination? :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's entirely in your imagination? :p
    Not as such no.... :o

I bet you wouldn't be bothered if you lived to be 100 and the UK still hadn't phased out DVB-T broadcasts yet! :rolleyes::D:p
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProDave wrote: »

* I once had a Logic LCD set that had a socket to plug a woofer in, and it did indeed transform the sound quality. but the set was rubbish in other respects so I didn't keep it long

I had several TVs in the 80s and 90s that had extension speaker sockets and, even though the sound from TVs was quite acceptable then, plugging in external speakers made an appreciable improvement.
    But speaker sockets on a modern TV is too much to hope for :(
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, there will be no setting up at all, just connect it up and select 'shop mode' when asked.

Quality still seems better than what i have seen in currys. aoso more helpful than in currys.
    Sony and Panasonic are still the top makes, but their higher quality means both are losing money on their TV's :cry:
    i can understand that. some people seems to think that Samsung TVs are great, as yet I have not seen one that would appeal to me. i seen a LG that that looked good.
    But those sony's certainly seemed ok.
    If you can't see the difference are you perhaps blind in one eye :D

While I wouldn't want 3D (and there's VERY little 3D content anyway) the difference is absolutely obvious - I'm presuming you were watching 3D content and wearing the glasses?.

Colour blind, so only active 3D specs work on me, the cheap passive ones don't seem too, which is maybe why i did not see the 3D.

I did notice a difference as such, but I would not call it 3D in that the picture came out at me.

Yes, I was watching 3d content and was wearing the specs.

but then I know other people who got 3D sets and they say the same thing

I've carried out a VERY, VERY rough poll, with only a tiny number of participants (so it's not statistically significant), but of the 3D purchasers I've had occasion to go back to (to install something else, set up a PVR etc.) I've asked how they get on with the 3D. In ALL cases they have said they used it a bit in the first few weeks, but almost never after that.

i think that what the few people I know that got 3D sets have done as well, some have got Sky and may have had a quick peek at the 3d channels and that was it.

The one big problem I have with modern TV sets is sound or the lack of it. My plasma got fantastic sound as it got a fair bit of space in there, my CRT also had good sound. but every LED/LCD set I have seen have weedy sound because there is no space inside to get that nice powerful sound.

Even the sony's sounded limp.

i would have thought with electronics these days, that they could have made the sound better.

I am in no rush to update to be honest, I don't watch Tv anyway, i use mine for netflix and DVDs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People on here will soon be moaning and groaning endlessly about how we lag behind because of how many other countries in the world have transitioned from DVB-T to DVB-T2! :(

What people? i never wanted to move from analogue, far better system and yet we was forced to. i know plenty of people who at the moment would find it hard to find the money to update yet again.

HD is ok and some things i love watching in Hd, but to be honest most of the content I watch is not in HD anyway and a lot of the people on Tv, I don't think I would want to watch in HD, even if I did watch TV.
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »

Even the sony's sounded limp.

i would have thought with electronics these days, that they could have made the sound better.

Nothing to do with 'electronics', it's purely simple physics - there's no room inside the sets for decent size speakers, and tiny speakers give tiny sound.

If you wire a pair of nice little bookshelf speakers to the set then they sound brilliant - I've done this for a number of customers.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Built in speakers are OK for a 'spare' TV, one in a bedroom or kitchen sort of thing but for main viewing I use an external sound system; it makes a big difference to your overall viewing pleasure IMHO. I've a large screen Sony as our 'main' TV and even in that the speakers ain't great.
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    I've a large screen Sony as our 'main' TV and even in that the speakers ain't great.

Why would they be?, the TV is still 'tiny' as far as space for speakers goes.

The new 4K Sony's have decent sound, but they have largish front facing speakers either side of the screen, making the sets a LOT larger than their screen size would suggest.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah, I reckon you should tell him! ;)
    I'd probably be wasting my time. He's free to read the same public information as everyone else, and should heed what "technologist" has to say in these forums.

Cheers,
    David.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would they be?, the TV is still 'tiny' as far as space for speakers goes.

The new 4K Sony's have decent sound, but they have largish front facing speakers either side of the screen, making the sets a LOT larger than their screen size would suggest.

I was agreeing that most speakers in TV's are not good. There is 'thin speaker technology' which I know nothing about but I would guess fitting them would up the price of the sets a bit?
    Forum Member
    neo_wales wrote: »
    There is 'thin speaker technology' which I know nothing about but I would guess fitting them would up the price of the sets a bit?

It's not just a question of 'thin', it's a question of size as well - unless you make the set considerably larger than the screen then there's no space to fit even thin speakers.

Basically for bass you need to move large quantities of air, and to do that you need a large cone area.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see that the latest Sony TVs have improved sound quality due to a bit of acoustics built into the cabinet behind the speakers. Hardly HiFi but the sound seems much better than that on the previous range such as my 40HX753.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just a question of 'thin', it's a question of size as well - unless you make the set considerably larger than the screen then there's no space to fit even thin speakers.

Basically for bass you need to move large quantities of air, and to do that you need a large cone area.

Hence I use an external amplifier and good speakers.

You seem to know your stuff re home cinema so I may be picking your brains later regarding HD projectors.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They are to encourage migration to DVB-T2 equipment with an eye on what might happen towards the end of the present decade, when it might be necessary to vacate the 700Mhz part of the band. If exisiting coverage is to be broadly mainatined this might involve extensive use of SFNs, particularly for the COM muxs.

All this is still very uncertain, largely dependent on what other parts of Europe decide to do with regard to the 700Mhz band which we won't hear about until 2015, and nothing much is likely to happen before 2018 or 2019.

So if by imminent you mean less than ten years, you might be right. If you mean less than five years this is almost certainly not on the cards.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    They are to encourage migration to DVB-T2 equipment with an eye on what might happen towards the end of the present decade, when it might be necessary to vacate the 700Mhz part of the band. If exisiting coverage is to be broadly mainatined this might involve extensive use of SFNs, particularly for the COM muxs.

All this is still very uncertain, largely dependent on what other parts of Europe decide to do with regard to the 700Mhz band which we won't hear about until 2015, and nothing much is likely to happen before 2018 or 2019.

So if by imminent you mean less than ten years, you might be right. If you mean less than five years this is almost certainly not on the cards.
    But would you find it surprising if say by the year 2033, if the UK still had some DVB-T broadcasts?
    Forum Member
    But would you find it surprising if say by the year 2033, if the UK still had some DVB-T broadcasts?

That's hardly 'imminent' is it :p

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there were no T2 broadcasts by then either?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with 'electronics', it's purely simple physics - there's no room inside the sets for decent size speakers, and tiny speakers give tiny sound.

I know what you are saying, but I have heard speakers that are really thin and still sound good, mind you they cost a fair bit and so do the amp.
    If you wire a pair of nice little bookshelf speakers to the set then they sound brilliant - I've done this for a number of customers.

But that is more cables and more hassle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's hardly 'imminent' is it :p

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there were no T2 broadcasts by then either?.
    You have never failed to amuse me in this thread yet! :D
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    I know what you are saying, but I have heard speakers that are really thin and still sound good, mind you they cost a fair bit and so do the amp.

Thin TVs will always struggle for sound though as you basically need lots of interior volume to reproduce deep bass at a decent power level, whatever the quality of the drivers (even electrostatics).

My 50 inch plasma TV is 2.5 inches deep and has a volume of 3,220 cubic inches. My two external speakers have a total volume of 12,960 cubic inches, four times greater. No TV that thin is going to get anywhere near such speakers or even ones half that size no matter what it costs. For speech, TVs are OK but not for much else - we all need separate amps and speakers for good quality music and effects - and I don't mean sound bars, they are a poor compromise.

But it irritates me intensely that modern TVs are dropping analogue audio outputs as I have a 30 year old Amp in fine condition (with only DIN sockets! :eek:) and an 8 year old even better amp with only phono inputs. Lucky for me that my old Sky Pace PVR and my Panasonic BD recorder/PVR both have phono audio outputs! :D