The Pro Cycling Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Party AnimalParty Animal Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really interested to see How Peter Sagan leaving Cannondale pans out
    just cannot see him signing for Saxo there priorities clearly lie with winning grand tours
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marti S wrote: »
    I wouldnt be surprised if he leads them into the circuit, didnt that happen last year to another rider who was retiring?

Can't recall if the riders organized for that to happen (my memory's failing me), but David Millar did make a break for it on the Champs. Reeled in after a couple of laps, if I recall.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Can't recall if the riders organized for that to happen (my memory's failing me), but David Millar did make a break for it on the Champs. Reeled in after a couple of laps, if I recall.

Yes - but he didn't know that was going to be his last Tour. He had expected that to be this year - he said if he'd known he would have enjoyed it more!
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Oh Jensie, I am going to miss you so :cry:
  • DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed watching Le Tour. I only started watching because it started in Yorkshire this year. I have managed to catch a bit of it every day since the beginning. I thought it was interesting even though Nibali had a big lead at the end, and I do think he was a worthy winner. I also liked the jockeying for the positions behind him. I think it was a good production on ITV4 and liked the commentary of Phil and Paul, even though they have a habit of repeating what the other one said :D. I liked Gary Imlach as the main presenter and Chris Boardman as his wingman.

Well done to all involved in whatever capacity :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed watching Le Tour. I only started watching because it started in Yorkshire this year. I have managed to catch a bit of it every day since the beginning. I thought it was interesting even though Nibali had a big lead at the end, and I do think he was a worthy winner. I also liked the jockeying for the positions behind him. I think it was a good production on ITV4 and liked the commentary of Phil and Paul, even though they have a habit of repeating what the other one said :D. I liked Gary Imlach as the main presenter and Chris Boardman as his wingman.

Well done to all involved in whatever capacity :)

Your sunk now!!!!!
    I watched my first tour from start to finish about 30yrs ago and never imagined that me being a non cyclist would find it so addictive

I have never missed a tour since and cannot think of a single stage in all that time that I have not watched... I find it totally absorbing watching how the tactics play out

until about 5 years ago I never bothered with any other race but now I watch everything I just love it the Grand Tours are my favourites
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you're keen enough to want to watch all the big races you'll need Eurosport as ITV4 only show a couple of races a year

I started watching in 1996 when I left paid employment to start working for myself during that summer but didn't have much work coming in for a couple of months so was looking for something to pass the time......and decided to watch the Tour on Eurosport.

I was pretty hooked from the start though it took me a while to understand what was happening.......all the tactics and the structure of the race........and I also didn't realise there were other races throughout the season......:o

But I went from that Tour to the Vuelta and haven't looked back since

For many years I worked from home but spent most of the day out and about so I used to record the afternoon cycling on video and watch it in the evening.....

Nowadays I do most of my work on the computer at home so never miss a days racing even tho' I might be working whilst it's on.........:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched since the days when all you got was a few minutes with Dicky Davies on World of Sport, various European satellite channels (never did learn Dutch, though), Eurosport and then the headiness of a whole half an hour a night on channel 4.

The coverage is brilliant now - but watching the grainy, foggy coverage of Steven Roche arriving at the top of La Plange still gives goosebumps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a pity that drug taking has blighted pro cyling for pretty much the whole 30yrs I have watched the Tour de France with large slices of the Peleton using EPO or some other designer drug

says a lot for the fans when they stick by them through thick and thin
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    I've watched since the days when all you got was a few minutes with Dicky Davies on World of Sport, various European satellite channels (never did learn Dutch, though), Eurosport and then the headiness of a whole half an hour a night on channel 4.

The coverage is brilliant now - but watching the grainy, foggy coverage of Steven Roche arriving at the top of La Plange still gives goosebumps.

I think I probably did watch some of the 30 minute C4 highlights shows........though not on a regular basis, probably just catching the odd one........would that have been 1980s ?

I remember watching some of the Olympic races before I took much interest.......I basically used to watch for a TV tour of the Olympic City !.......I'm sure a lot of people start watching for the scenery
  • Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D
    My goodness.
    That combined jersey was an abomination wasn't it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The next big race is the one day San Sebastian Classic next Saturday but I'm not sure if that's on Eurosport as it's not been mentioned on any of their adverts

They're definitely showing the Tour of Poland which starts next Sunday and lasts a week
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the San Sebastián is on Eurosport from half 2 next Saturday live with quite a few highlight shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    aggs wrote: »
    Yes, the San Sebastián is on Eurosport from half 2 next Saturday live with quite a few highlight shows.

cheers........that's good news !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is some cycling on Eurosport today........they're picking up the Tour of Wallony (Belgium) from stage 3 starting on ES at 1.45

It's a 5 stage race
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to Sagan in Paris? He didn't seem to attempt to win, ending up 9th.
    Is he the first to win the green jersey with no stage wins?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Eric Zabel for sure, and think someone like Thor Hushovd took the jersey without a stage as well.
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hushovd won without a stage win back in 2005 and won again in 2009 with only one stage win against Cavendish's six.

Sagan is the first win the green jersey at his first three tours.

Kittel says he will try for the green jersey next year. Looks like a tall ask given he was struggling early on Buttertubs in Yorkshire and did not compete in the sprints immediately after the high mountains.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks both.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,620
    Forum Member
    I first started watching the Tour De France early 90s when Gary Imlach was the main presenter, the programme was 6-6.30pm daily on C4 with an extended 1 hour edition on Sunday. I remember the TDF final stage in the early 90s Djamolidine Abdoujaparov crashed into the barriers meters from the finish, still got up & crossed the finishing line winning the Green Jersey. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Nt4x3nuzfQ
  • cmq2cmq2 Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say the first would fill me with deep joy, if true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm still working on the assumption that the racing driver Alonzo is finally going to get his team off the ground and that Contador will go and join them

In which case Sagan would be the main man at Tinkoff.......not sure where Brad would fit in.........maybe they see him as a contender for those week long races like the Dauphine, Paris-Nice, Tour of Switzerland which Sagan probably couldn't win. He's got quite a good record in these races but obviously you'd think he'd be less competitive now than he was 2 or 3 years ago
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not just that, it's the fact even now the Tinkoff Team manager still brings on the hives, twitch and selective Tourette's. :blush: