Snooker: Graeme Dott's "come onnnnnnnnnnn!"

BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can't say I'm a great follower of the game, but this is a first for me -- A snooker player doing a fist pump and screaming "come on!" at the top of his lungs. Does this occur regularly? Sad to see a relatively sedate game like Snooker being infected by this latest craze in sport. It's really annoying!:mad:

Comments

• meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    I can't stand him, Mark Selby or Shaun Murphy, they've all got that over-competitive smugness to them, and it's all very sour grapes when they lose.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, some of the younger players are now behaving to an extent more like footballers, for me it sits uneasily with the game.

Part of the appeal of the game has always been the "etiquette" practiced for decades. Players always conducted themselves like "gentleman" with few exceptions.
    Unfortunately, as they can no longer have sponsors whose products have long been associated with the "lifestyle" of snooker they've been left with sponsors whose names one would not normally associate with the game. "Pukka Pies" by contrast to some of the former big names, also in my opinion seems a bit of a joke and devalues the game even more. But the sport is faced with a cash shortage for competitions and the new brigade want to try to appeal to more of the younger generations who they think like this way of promoting the game.
    I can do without all the razamataz, no doubt the idea of Barry Hearn, who seems to want to get a controlling interest in the game. The idea seems to be to hype up the spectators immediately before a match. Then the referee has to shut them up as soon as play commences.
    It just makes me smile.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,950
    Forum Member
    I'm sure I remember Peter Ebdon doing something similar years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a Sport board down below.
  • gqqgqq Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dott has the worst voice I have ever heard. Talk about having a frog stuck permanently in your throat.
  • BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sepmix wrote: »
    There's a Sport board down below.

Down below where? Australia? In your crotch?
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    taurus_67 wrote: »
    I'm sure I remember Peter Ebdon doing something similar years ago.

Yes, he did - during the 1996 final against Stephen Hendry.

Didn't help much though - Ebdon lost. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down below on the choice of message boards, look harder next time.
  • BalthusBalthus Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This was something that I saw on TV, therefore it's appropriate to post it in the TV forum. I don't appreciate your attitude.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    gqq wrote: »
    Dott has the worst voice I have ever heard. Talk about having a frog stuck permanently in your throat.

He reminds me of Moby for some reason. That frail uneasy sort of demeanor. lol
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes Ebdons was the famous one he over reacted it was insane, and Stephen lee's face said it all he was not impressed by it.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

When did you become a Mod?
  • ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    O'Sullivan, was not happy with the referee after he called a touching ball. O'Sullivan got down had a look, and said it wasnt touching, then proceeded to argue with the referee..at one point telling the referee he needs his eyes testing. Glad the petulant shite lost
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Selby did the same thing against o'sullivan, nothing wrong with it. Who cares if it goes against the etiquette of the game, snooker is boring at the moment and hopefully Barry hearn can turn it around like he did with the darts
  • oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On my screen, the forums are up above, as in this line across the top of the page:

You Are In: Home > Forums > Entertainment Forums > TV Programmes > Snooker: Graeme Dott's "come onnnnnnnnnnn!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semi-final prize money is, to my knowledge, £52,000. I think it's perfectly acceptable to be buzzing about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    Selby did the same thing against o'sullivan, nothing wrong with it. Who cares if it goes against the etiquette of the game, snooker is boring at the moment and hopefully Barry hearn can turn it around like he did with the darts

Boring?

I think there's been some excellent matches this time round.

Hearn if he gets his way will ruin it completely.
    The days of the "big money" of the eighties when the cigarette companies we pumping huge sums into it are long gone. Hearn can't change that.
  • stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Come on, there's no need for this kind of attitude. It's a sport AND it's on TV.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    Boring?

I think there's been some excellent matches this time round.

Hearn if he gets his way will ruin it completely.
    The days of the "big money" of the eighties when the cigarette companies we pumping huge sums into it are long gone. Hearn can't change that.

some of the games in this tournament have been good especially Davis v Higgins and the games that have come down to final frame deciders but hasn't been like that for a while.

Hearn at least should get a chance to try and improve the game
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caltonfan wrote: »
    some of the games in this tournament have been good especially Davis v Higgins and the games that have come down to final frame deciders but hasn't been like that for a while.

Hearn at least should get a chance to try and improve the game
    I don't think it's a case of "try" I've read what he's looking for is "51%" so that he'd effectively "own snooker."
    That ain't good for any game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1268114/Peter-Ebdon-sounds-note-caution-Barry-Hearns-plans-save-snooker.html
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Peter Ebdon once rolled on the floor after a match, acting like a clown. Incidentally he had a single at the time called 'I am a clown'. ! He just did that to promote his song i'm sure,never done anything exciting since.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's a case of "try" I've read what he's looking for is "51%" so that he'd effectively "own snooker."
    That ain't good for any game.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1268114/Peter-Ebdon-sounds-note-caution-Barry-Hearns-plans-save-snooker.html

Hearn already owns TV darts so his claim for world domination is still a threat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm cynical, but I imagine Hearn is behind some of the recent news stories from the World Champs, involving either refs or players.

He was on the radio the other day, think it was this programme:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00s2vfy

... talking about doing 'whatever works' to sell tickets. Fair enough I suppose, if fist pumping and shouting turn the TV audience off, and that's where the money is, then he'll change tack and try something else.

It was interesting to hear, again on the above programme, how although snooker is' dying' TV coverage has expanded, both on Eurosport and regional Chinese stations.
  • mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Has it been a while since grahame has played? Havent seen him around for ages.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bean999 wrote: »

It was interesting to hear, again on the above programme, how although snooker is' dying' TV coverage has expanded, both on Eurosport and regional Chinese stations.

But the final straw is when he started playing DOOF DOOF music to gee up the crowd