Options

BBC1-HD Regions

crunchiecrunchie Posts: 595
Forum Member
✭✭
Can the HD versions of BBC1 Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland be manually added to the Other Channels menu?

Comments

• Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crunchie wrote: »
    Can the HD versions of BBC1 Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland be manually added to the Other Channels menu?

No.....
  • Options
    Dear ViewerDear Viewer Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These channels are broadcasting on a Symbol Rate that is un-tuneable manually on standard Sky HD boxes, but can be manually tuned via non-Sky equipment like, for example, units made for Freesat.

For me that begs the question could this problem be solved by software and/or firmware updates to Sky boxes so they tune those HD channels manually?!
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it could. AFAIK, Sky is required to allow other channels to be tunable on Sky box but they don't and it isn't enforced fully for whatever reason.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Of course it could. AFAIK, Sky is required to allow other channels to be tunable on Sky box but they don't and it isn't enforced fully for whatever reason.

the box was fully compliant at the time, subsequent changes to frequencies etc means that it now isn't.
  • Options
    RiellyRielly Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But is not the SD channel available on all boxes, just the HD variant is not available, which I assume is not mandatory.
    one assumes the BBC could dictate to Astra what requirements they want ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    the box was fully compliant at the time, subsequent changes to frequencies etc means that it now isn't.
    Exactly. I think it just so happens that only DVB-S2 transponders use frequencies other than the two supports on Sky boxes, but I don't know why Sky hasn't been forced to update their software.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. I think it just so happens that only DVB-S2 transponders use frequencies other than the two supports on Sky boxes, but I don't know why Sky hasn't been forced to update their software.

I don't think you can FORCE anyone to update a box that was perfectly compatible when it came into being, just because others have updated their transmission.

What if a new channel starts that transmits in such a way that no box could tune into it, without a hardware change, should all these box manufacturers then be forced to update all the boxes to comply?

I believe not, i think as long as the box complies at it's date of inception, any changes are not enforceable.
  • Options
    RiellyRielly Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not 'force' those Broadcasters to the UK to use frequencies that can be recognised by all the boxes? surely this is not Sky at fault, the BBC has a contract with Astra I would have thought ? and Sky for when it appears in the EPG if at all
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rielly wrote: »
    Why not 'force' those Broadcasters to the UK to use frequencies that can be recognised by all the boxes? surely this is not Sky at fault, the BBC has a contract with Astra I would have thought ? and Sky for when it appears in the EPG if at all
    Because DVB-S2 either wouldn't work or wouldn't be efficient with the older DVB-S symbol rates.

The simplest solution is for Sky to update their software - they could've done this with the change to their GUI last year.
  • Options
    CRTHDCRTHD Posts: 7,602
    Forum Member

Probably because the regions that those channels are intended for can receive them and whilst the (flawed) letter of the law states that they should be available, no one really cares enough to spend the money challenging Sky.

I can't see Ofcom challenging Sky just to satisfy some disgruntled, out-of-region viewers.
  • Options
    HarshadHarshad Posts: 5,996
    Forum Member
    Any non Sky HD receiver will do, problem will be easily solved.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CRTHD wrote: »
    Probably because the regions that those channels are intended for can receive them and whilst the (flawed) letter of the law states that they should be available, no one really cares enough to spend the money challenging Sky.

I can't see Ofcom challenging Sky just to satisfy some disgruntled, out-of-region viewers.
    In this case it really depends on the definition of channels - whether these are merely regional variations of one channel or separate channels - that would really take a court to decide.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC 1 HD Wales arrived this morning on Sky 143 as expected and 101 on Freeview.

BBC 1 HD England stays on EPG at 976 (Sky) (1000 and something or other on Freeview)