Dandruff solutions

CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Washed my hair today saw in teh mirror I have quite a bit of skin flaking off. Any suggestions for clearing it up?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vacuum cleaner?
  • Miriams SisterMiriams Sister Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Tgel therapeutic shampoo from supermarkets.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    Tgel therapeutic shampoo from supermarkets.

That does work very well but it's quite expensive. Head and Shoulders does work well too (imo). As long as you keep on using it, of course, but that applies to TGel too.
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Vacuum cleaner?

:D:D
  • dmpdmp Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Polytar cold tar shampoo if it's available, works for me and if you've got bad dandruff etc you may be able to get it on prescription.
    Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't had dandruff since I was in my early teens when it was bad. I use head and shoulders.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Head & Shoulders basically strips your hair and skin of its top surface, make-up folk in tv/film recommend it to actors who have had to use hair dye as a quick way of getting rid of the colour. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Polytar is very good but is currently being re-formulated so is essentially off the shelves at the moment. I've heard it should be back on sale sometime in May, though.

ETA: scrap that, no Polytar until next year
    http://www.watchmywallet.co.uk/your-money/living/2013/february/bad-news-for-psoriasis-sufferers-as-polytar-and-oilatum-stocks-disappear-what-is-going-on-with-polytar/
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nizoral.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Head and shoulders is good for that :-D
  • AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    E45 body lotion. Massage a modest dollop of it into your scalp immediately after towelling it dry.
  • gadwallgadwall Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    I used Polytar for over thirty years and was devastated when they withdrew it last year. But I've found Tgel just as good and would recommend it.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might be just be a touch of dry scalp rather than dandruff I get it in the winter and it's been a looooooong cold winter. Especially if you have had the heating on a lot.

As someone has said, bit of E45 cream (or similar) DON'T use Head and Shoulders if it is because your scalp is dry, you will just make it a million times worse!

Also.. massage your scalp, will help release oils which will help any dry spots and help the lose skin come off.

I do it before and after I shower and helps tons until the su comes out again :D
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    It might be just be a touch of dry scalp rather than dandruff I get it in the winter and it's been a looooooong cold winter. Especially if you have had the heating on a lot.

As someone has said, bit of E45 cream (or similar) DON'T use Head and Shoulders if it is because your scalp is dry, you will just make it a million times worse!

Also.. massage your scalp, will help release oils which will help any dry spots and help the lose skin come off.

I do it before and after I shower and helps tons until the su comes out again :D

Can't afford heating on and it's not a new thing. Just something I only really bothered noticing now. So definitely not a one time thing.
    I'll try some of these suggestions.
  • bronsonbronson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple....it contains no perfumes.

and use Nizorol once a week
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Body Shop Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use head and shoulders but not all the time as other have said it does strip your hair, I,ve found alternating between a normal shampoo and the h&s works best for me, my dandruff was really bad a few months ago but its cleared up. I use the h&s about every 3rd wash.
  • imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Nizoral is good but expensive. Possibly you could try Selsun.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massage olive oil (sparingly) into your scalp then comb. If you overdo it, simply wash your hair again.
  • izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nizoral.

yes it is a bit pricey but you can get it cheaper online than in supermarkets and you only need to use a small amount a couple of times a week. You can use any other shampoo in between.
  • BinCatBinCat Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T Gel is a bit expensive but works pretty much straight away.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone else said, if it is very bad, go to your GP and they should be able to prescribe a good shampoo for this.

Both my son and myself suffer from dermatitis of the scalp which is often related to such allergies as asthma, eczema, psoriasis and so on. Do you have anything like that? We have Capasal shampoo on prescription and it works well. I know someone else who has the problem and she uses Olatum (not sure of the spelling of that one) shampoo which she gets on prescription. I think you may be able to get both of them over the counter too, but imagine that they would be quite expensive. You can also get a Betnovate applicator to put on the scalp every day until it is clearer.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oilatum is off the shelves at the moment. Same reason as Polytar, see my link in an earlier post above.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Oilatum is off the shelves at the moment. Same reason as Polytar, see my link in an earlier post above.

Thanks for the link, I wondered why it had disappeared.

I know someone that gets it on prescription, and her usual chemist has zero stock, but luckily they got it delivered from another chemist.

I'll pass the link on to her, thanks again. :)