Options

Beggar thy Neighbour

THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
Forum Member
Can anyone remember a comedy series starring Reg Varney before he joined ITV with On The Buses and I think it was broadcast in the early 1960's on the BBC and it was called Beggar Thy Neighbour and it was about a Factory Worker who had a big house and expensive items and is neighbour who I think had a high position of some sort for example a director of a company and Reg Varney as the factory worker was always better off than his neighbour.
Ian.

Comments

• Options
    pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Wiki, it can't be beat really.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    I've just checked through Google and it was actually called Beggar My Neighbour.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    I've just checked through Google and it was actually called Beggar My Neighbour.
    Ian.

LOL, one letter wrong and you'd have Mary Whitehouse turning in her grave :D
  • Options
    Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    LOL, one letter wrong and you'd have Mary Whitehouse turning in her grave :D

The old bag complained about everything unless it was deemed wholesome and christian, along with her friend `Lord Longford`.

Deep Purple wrote a classic song:

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=19226
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She even complained about programmes before they'd been made. In the end the BBC stopped answering her letters and phone calls.
  • Options
    BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember that when I was a kid. Reg Varney, Peter Jones, June Whitfield and Pat Coombes were the stars
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Reg Varney and Pat Coombs were working class and well off, Peter Jones and June Whitfield were middle class and didn't have two bob to rub together.