Options

Helix (Channel 5)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
Forum Member
✭✭
Is anyone else watching this?

" A team from America's Centres for Disease Control and Prevention travels to a high-tech research facility in the Arctic Circle to investigate a possible virus outbreak. As the company's dangerous experiments come to light, the scientists find themselves pulled into a terrifying life-and-death struggle that could hold the key to mankind's salvation or total annihilation. "

Sounds interesting.

Comments

• Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watching....

Reading the blurb it looks like it could be based on a Michael Creighton book I read that I forget the name of.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm watching. Been looking forward to this one.

Warnings for violence, gore and horror. Right up my street then!

Off to an intriguing start.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    Just watching....

Reading the blurb it looks like it could be based on a Michael Creighton book I read that I forget the name of.

The Andromeda Strain?

Anyways, I'm recording it so I might give it a chance.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not had much public or build up it seems but.....
    Good pedigree...Ronald Moore creation..(battlestar galactica) and seemingly quality cast....could be slow burn intelligent series...watching 1st one
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Andromeda Strain?

Anyways, I'm recording it so I might give it a chance.

No, Prey but reading further its not the same but the similarities are there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is this going to be worth my time watching? Yes or no.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First episode was pretty good,so looks promising, and it is a syfy production which tend to have shorter runs than network shows so less likely to get filler/padding episodes which kill the pace of shows like this.
  • Options
    AngiBearAngiBear Posts: 2,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't too bad. I will look in next week to see where the series goes. It felt like a cross between The Thing (set in the Arctic), 28 Days Later (the rage virus) and a bit of Alien (where Tom Skerritt looks for the monster in the air con unit).
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    AngiBear wrote: »
    Wasn't too bad. I will look in next week to see where the series goes. It felt like a cross between The Thing (set in the Arctic), 28 Days Later (the rage virus) and a bit of Alien (where Tom Skerritt looks for the monster in the air con unit).

The white suits reminded me of Alien also.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The white suits reminded me of Alien also.

The white lab suits? Really?

I liked the first two eps but it did little to distinguish itself as anything more complex than a re-do of Andromeda Strain, via Alien and The Thing, as almost everyone's pointed out! It's all rather cheesy, silly and far-fetched, but then most TV scifi is far-fetched so that doesn't necessarily go against it. I felt it did well for an opening episode and will watch more to see how the characters get along, and if the blatant signalling of who is good and who is bad subsides.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this going to be worth my time watching? Yes or no.

Based on the chronic over-reactions you've had to Sherlock, no, please don't watch this and spoil it for anyone who dares to enjoy it for what it is.

Cheers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    Not had much public or build up it seems but.....
    Good pedigree...Ronald Moore creation..(battlestar galactica) and seemingly quality cast....could be slow burn intelligent series...watching 1st one

He's just producing, it's not his creation or story.
  • Options
    Fieldmouse83Fieldmouse83 Posts: 1,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the Pilot and it's interesting enough that I will be tuning in to next Mondays installment - beyond that the jury is out for me.
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was good, will be watching more. When it got to the end of the extended first episode I was "wait, the ENTIRE series is set on this arctic base?!" I thought it was just a procedural "tackle the bio-attack of the week" show at first. Of course this is good, but bad because of cancellations. It'd be easier to handle a "story of the week" cancellation, but something like this getting cancelled? I have no faith in most networks, there's barely any that treat their viewers/shows with respect these days.
  • Options
    madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez who writes the script for this. It must have the worst dialogue and badly written storyline ever. Yep your in a arctic scientific facility with the worst threat to mankind, yes you guessed it everybody works on their own in separate labs, everyone wanders about on their own and even when they go looking for the infected missing people they do it by themselves or in a group of three so they can try and negotiate them going into isolation. This really is a huge pile of S***. No surprise then that C5 got the rights to air it.
  • Options
    lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big-Arn wrote: »
    He's just producing, it's not his creation or story.

Ok-I wasn't being too picky & precise in that it was solely Ron Moore's, granted.....he didn't actually invent battlestar itself of course but adapted concept...

granted it's a first time writer but pitched to syfy concept with Moore who had helped develop it....I meant it has some pedigree with it....maeda experienced showrunner & obst good background in various tv and film projects.....so between them I meant should have some potential to be a good one...

Funny though....media has pushed it as a Moore project in the first rather than fresh new writer....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just watched the Pilot and it's interesting enough that I will be tuning in to next Mondays installment - beyond that the jury is out for me.

I quite enjoyed it for what it was. The cliffhanger in the shower was a surprise so I'll be interested to see how things develop. Yes, it's rather cliched and far-fetched but I've seen worse.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Watched the double-pilot and enjoyed that for what is was (a sci-fi B movie) but not worth watching anymore just to see babysteps forward in any story arc such as there is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the flip is this?

I've seen the double pilot and is it just me or did the script writers just pinch a lot of this from Prince of Darkness, Doom, 28 days and 28 Weeks after plus about three or four really bad mid 1980's b movie sci fi horror flicks.

It's not so much that it's bad it just isn't very good.

There are some ideas that are almost original except that they aren't and have been done better elsewhere.

We have all the stock elements of a standard sci fi horror plus a fairly reasonable sci fi thriller but they just can't seem to find the right set up.

Maybe episode two will pick up. As I think I was geared up up for a film length show that a series when I watched the first two parts so need to reset for a slower burn.

It does have a good pedigree so should improve. I need to think of this in isolation, no pun intended, rather than comparing it to other films or shows.