Should there be rules regarding internet/email voting? - BSAs -SPOILERS-

barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
Forum Member
Hollyoaks is the lowest rated soap out of them all, even Doctors beat them plus Brian Kirkwood destroyed EastEnders so its baffling to me and I don't really buy the fact they won it because it was the Best Soap because if that was the case then Emmerdale probably would of won, so should there be rules put in place to stop bulk voting aka creating multiple email accounts to vote, or deleting cookies in browsers to vote loads of times or a limit of appeals from the soaps themselves asking to vote for them, because I only think they won because of the teenyboppers on twitter and Facebook, there are reasons why people think its a shock Hollyoaks won Best Soap and its not because it was actually good.

Thoughts?

Comments

• O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lets not be sore losers, ay? Let Hollyoaks have their 5 minutes, Well Done HO! :D
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if EE or Corrie had won would you be complaining??
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter about the viewing figures. It's about the amount of people who vote.

More of the Hollyoaks audience/fans are willing to vote for them than the portion of the audience from the other soaps. Let's face it not everyone gives a damn about the soap awards.

Fairplay to them, they've never won it before so well done.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way some people have reacted you would think something really bad has happened, it's the soap awards fgs
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Its a discussion not a reaction, and I probably would have complained if Corrie or EE won, because they've been dreadful for ages.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let it go, let it go! ;-)
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you should suck it up and move on. As a HO viewer, I'm as surprised as anyone but they won fair and square
    Forum Member
    Its a DISCUSSION not a reaction I'd be the same if EastEnders would of won, I really couldn't careless either way as the ones I wanted to win won the awards.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Thoughts?

Already a thread
    here
    Forum Member
    Already a thread
    here

My bad.
  • katieknolweskatieknolwes Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People make multiple accounts and vote, not really a true reflection

I dont mind hollyoaks was just shocked that it could win , taking into account they receive the lowest amount of views
  • Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,570
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    As a HO viewer, I'm as surprised as anyone but they won fair and square

If they won fair and square - ie, one vote per viewer - I'd be happy to add my congratulations.

But it's not really fair and square if fans organise an online campaign to use a dubious website which allows people to create hundreds of new email addresses per day, is it?

If the BSA organisers could crack down on block voting like this, the results might actually mean something. As it is, the fan-voted awards just go to the soap whose fans spend most time on the internet and social media sites each day. They're meaningless.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    priscilla wrote: »
    So if EE or Corrie had won would you be complaining??

Well, exactly. It only appears to be an issue this year because Hollyoaks managed to win.

Let them have their moment. I don't watch Hollyoaks but it's rather refreshing to see a soap outside of the big two bag the main prize. :)
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    They can ban it all they want, it's sadly completely unenforcable.
  • NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the other soaps should look at their fanbases...

Oaks viewers (like me) are loyal creatures and sometimes we get justice. :D
  • Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,570
    Forum Member
    i don't really get why it's 'justice' for a dreadful show with cheap, badly acted, disposable storylines to win some plastic gongs, thus enabling the dreadful producer to carry on churning out more of the same old crap ... ?

But if it matters so much to some of the fans that they're prepared to waste hours of their life every day, creating fake email accounts just to cast more votes, well ... you got what you wanted, well done to you. Yay!!

ETA: I'm not a fan of any soap any more, really - I used to watch HOs and Corrie, but have gone off both in the last 12 months. But even when I watched HOs, I recognised that it was largely pretty people, badly acting out poor scripts. And it's only got worse since BK took over :p
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should tie it in with the elections. :p
  • kjg1995kjg1995 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Good lord! Some people take this far too serious, just a bit of fun isn't it? Surely EE and CS fans can cope with not neither of them winning it for one year?
  • MutantXMutantX Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey we (EE) won best newcomer...let's celebrate our wins then moan about our losses.
    Corrie did fantastic as well. David and Haley swiped the awards!!
    Even though I feel emmerdale did deserve more
    Well done to Hollyoaks! Even if I think you absolute shite!!
  • RainRain Posts: 9,688
    Forum Member
    The OP has kept on about this all night. Change the record - your favourite lost. The older generation could have purchased 40 What's on TV magazines and wrote entries for their entire cul-de-sac for all we know.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think what aided Hollyoaks is that EE and Corrie's audiences have been very pessimistic about those two shows (and rightly so) and haven't been as passionate leading the way for one of the underdog's with a passionate fan base to crawl up and take the prize.

Which is fair enough EE and Corrie haven't been at their best.
  • HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    All soaps have fans who multivote

Its also not about viewing figures its about how active and passionate the fanbase are.Public voted awards by definition award the proactive.

These type of events are a combination of a popularity contest and those who are proactive enough to be bothered to vote.Their certainly not some near ideal method to ensure the most worthy or"deserving" show/person wins.They were never that no matter what anyone thinks.
    Forum Member
    kjg1995 wrote: »
    Good lord! Some people take this far too serious, just a bit of fun isn't it? Surely EE and CS fans can cope with not neither of them winning it for one year?

Precisely.The duopoly of Corrie and EE dominating the big soap awards may well have ended.People need to adjust to that possibility and chill.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    Hollyoaks is the lowest rated soap out of them all, even Doctors beat them plus Brian Kirkwood destroyed EastEnders so its baffling to me and I don't really buy the fact they won it because it was the Best Soap because if that was the case then Emmerdale probably would of won, so should there be rules put in place to stop bulk voting aka creating multiple email accounts to vote, or deleting cookies in browsers to vote loads of times or a limit of appeals from the soaps themselves asking to vote for them, because I only think they won because of the teenyboppers on twitter and Facebook, there are reasons why people think its a shock Hollyoaks won Best Soap and its not because it was actually good.

Thoughts?

:confused: Are you saying that people who are young and have Facebook & Twitter and have voted for Hollyoaks, somehow their vote is lesser than someone voting for one of the more established soaps?

That's pretty arrogant.
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    :confused: Are you saying that people who are young and have Facebook & Twitter and have voted for Hollyoaks, somehow their vote is lesser than someone voting for one of the more established soaps?

That's pretty arrogant.
    I think their struggling to accept that the old duopoly were Corrie or EE were guaranted to win best soap is over.