How long is car current for?

LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How long do cars maintain the appearance of being current?

I saw an 08 plate C Class Merc the other day and thought that my old 1997 P Reg C class would still hold it's own against it. Of course in terms of interior technology no way, but for exterior looks yes.

I would say that cars have a 10 - 15 year "current" life expectancy before they begin to look dated, tired or start looking like a classic.

Comments

• CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say anything after about 7 years... (but then I guess it depends on the model and make); BMW's and Mercs, Ferraris or Lamborghinis, seem to keep their value compared to most others (for obvious reasons)...
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    I'd say anything after about 7 years... (but then I guess it depends on the model and make); BMW's and Mercs, Ferraris or Lamborghinis, seem to keep their value compared to most others (for obvious reasons)...

I also suppose that with Mercs and BMW's exterior wise they look the same at a glance as they did 10 years ago.
  • CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liparus wrote: »
    I also suppose that with Mercs and BMW's exterior wise they look the same at a glance as they did 10 years ago.

True.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well most of the main manufacturers just facelift a vehicle after maybe 4 years of sales so a model can be a "new one" for several years before they even consider changing it completely so i reckon your 10 year estimate of them looking "current" is well within an acceptable period....
  • SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the trade a car is current while it is available for order.

Not sure that is what you are asking though.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as I am concerned about car is current until it's ready for the knackers yard.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member

Apart for the BMW 3 series with a more rounded shape.
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    As far as looks are concerned, it's a matter of taste.
    Personally I'm not keen on the generic 'samey' looks of most modern cars - much prefer the looks of many older cars.
    My all-time fave being the old Rover P6 - especially the V8 with the ridges on the bonnet, twin headlights, honeycomb grill, and leather-clad spare on the boot-lid.
    Gorgeous (only IMHO, of course :) )
  • LiparusLiparus Posts: 4,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclad wrote: »
    In the trade a car is current while it is available for order.

Not sure that is what you are asking though.

Just wondering what people think when they see a 10 year old Merc for example at a glance. My old P reg which I sold last year still had a "current" appearance. I sometimes see an L reg Merc on the road near me and it now looks dated.
  • AdamDowdsAdamDowds Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just wondering what people think when they see a 10 year old Merc for example at a glance. My old P reg which I sold last year still had a "current" appearance. I sometimes see an L reg Merc on the road near me and it now looks dated.

I agree with you about L reg's looking dated, and that's the year I was born in!

I would say around 10 years is when cars look current, I tend to see more 3-door cars from the late 90's than mid 00's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    New cars just look boring - I prefer the more classic look, too...