Options

In-car DAB - Best options

Adam792Adam792 Posts: 7,147
Forum Member
I'm thinking of getting a car in the next couple of months, and when I do, I want to fit a DAB head unit.

Can anyone recommend a decent unit that's good value?

Also in terms of aerials, I'm guessing it's better to have a proper DAB suitable one fitted. I'd ideally want one that went in place of the FM one on the roof of the car to be as neat as possible and give the best signal. Anyone got any experience of this?

Comments

• Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the performance ratings on this site is good as a guide
    http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/DAB_car_aerials.html
  • Options
    buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Choose a car with DAB already in it? Don't most new Fords and Vauxhalls (and some used ones) have proper integrated DAB?
  • Options
    DigMorrisDigMorris Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    buglawton wrote: »
    Choose a car with DAB already in it? Don't most new Fords and Vauxhalls (and some used ones) have proper integrated DAB?

I agree, most car manufacturers offer DAB radios as standard or as option nowadays. Having a properly integrated DAB radio with good factory-fitted antenna beats aftermarket solutions.
  • Options
    Alan58Alan58 Posts: 1,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got an after sale fitted Alpine in my Nissan. When it was installed I wanted an external all-in-one aerial but the installer said to try a screen mounted aerial. Very surprised at the excellent results. Fitted to the front screen and hardly noticeable.
  • Options
    Ethan RayneEthan Rayne Posts: 607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get really good results using one of these capacitance coupled aerials http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/Kinetic_DEGA-4001_glass_mount_DAB_car_aerial.html easy to fit and there's no need to drill any holes in the car body.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recently fitted this stereo to my MG ZT. It sounds great even on standard speakers, is easy to use with 18 DAB presets and automatically switches between FM and DAB based on signal strength. It works really well.

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/kenwood-kdc-bt48dab-bluetooth-ipod-usb-cd

As my car doesn't have an external AM/FM aerial (built in to the windscreen), I decided to give an internal windscreen mounted aerial a try. Fitting is simple and as the aerial is amplified the signal is brilliant. The user guide says to stick the earth strap to a painted surface but I found scraping off the paint improved the reception (it will become clear when you buy one).

http://www.halfords.com/sat-nav-audio/car-audio/dab-radios-car-stereos/autoleads-dab-film-antenna-smb-dab-aa1
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DigMorris wrote: »
    Having a properly integrated DAB radio with good factory-fitted antenna beats aftermarket solutions.
    Not necessarily, I'm afraid !

Most car manufacturers don't have the foggiest clue about radio. They don't understand it and it's way down their list. They just want to have the same equipment for all markets, despite the UK being unique in having the steering wheel on the right and the speedo in MPH. Car specifications are all about spin, not substance.

A classic example of how not to do it is the Tesla Model S. It comes with a ridiculous touchscreen more suited to home cinema, yet it has only a miserable FM/MW radio that can't even be ripped out and replaced.

DAB/DAB+ is available as an option (at a mere £2,100) but there's no external aerial. They've bodged it by trying to use the heated rear window instead and, not surprisingly, DAB reception is utterly hopeless. My humble Pure Highway pulled in the Essex mux from over the water with a thoroughly respectable signal level, but in the Tesla there was no trace at all !
  • Options
    ahall41116ahall41116 Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Adam792 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a car in the next couple of months, and when I do, I want to fit a DAB head unit.

Can anyone recommend a decent unit that's good value?

Also in terms of aerials, I'm guessing it's better to have a proper DAB suitable one fitted. I'd ideally want one that went in place of the FM one on the roof of the car to be as neat as possible and give the best signal. Anyone got any experience of this?

Just about to take delivery of a volvo v60 with built in DaB. Depending on how good it is, I'll have a pure highway with ext. antenna for sale. Given excellent service over the last 2 yrs.

Pm if interested.

Ash
  • Options
    moordown66moordown66 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the Auto DAB unit in my car which works on your existing radio. I took it back because it kept freezing (the unit not the signal) and freezing the whole radio, was a pain in the backside to tune using the steering wheel controls and the aerial provided wasn't sufficient. I could get much better side by side signals on my Pure Move 2500 walkman.

I'd get a proper head unit, but what annoys me about them is all the flashing lights and stuff on them. I know I sound an old fashioned dullard but I just prefer a simple unit that functions well, not something who's graphics look like they've been designed by an 8 year old with crayons in a school competition

I'll get me coat....
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The taxis I use have a stand to put smartphones in so you may as well use one of those in your car if you are not going to use up to much of your data limit by listening to the radio via Tunein or you have an unlimited data sim .
  • Options
    buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In many brands of car eg Ford, Hyundai, the original stereo has a speed dependant volume option. Set up right this means the volume imperceptibly adjusts to match the car cabin background noise. I love this feature, even set it in hire cars and would never buy a car without this feature. No more reaching out to turn the volume down at the lights or entering a housing estate as driving slowly, then having to whack it up again when speed increases.

Aftermarket replacement head units whether DIN or not, most often fail to integrate this auto volume feature which depends on a signal from the speedo.

When I do my next car purchase it'll be a 6 speaker system, bluetooth and proper DAB at a bare minimum AND speed dependant volume.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    The taxis I use have a stand to put smartphones in so you may as well use one of those in your car if you are not going to use up to much of your data limit by listening to the radio via Tunein or you have an unlimited data sim .

I have tried this and is useless in most of Essex on my S4 worst place being my town :(
    Being on three its like dial up speeds stations are lucky if they play for 1 min.
    DAB Signal is rock solid.
  • Options
    Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst our car is getting sorted out after a minor RTA we have been loaned a brand new Ford Focus with built in AM ( Long and Medium wave) FM and DAB radio. Reception on all bands is brilliant and I have not noted a single glitch on BBC R2 DAB anywhere in this area. Ford sensibly still fit a roof aerial.
    The rest of the car is just amazing as you would expect from Ford.
  • Options
    countyboycountyboy Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Golf has factory fit aerials for FM and AM built into the rear screen; and a VW dealer fitted DAB aerial at the top of the windscreen.
    AM reception is adequate, FM good - but DAB is excellent, even here in hilly Gloucestershire.
  • Options
    tellymantellyman Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would recommend the Digitizer dab converter. I wanted dab in my x-type Jag but did not want to alter any of the original equipment. I bought the Digitizer in preference to the Autodab converter I had used before, mainly because I found the latter to be a tad unreliable having swapped mine three times due to various faults.

Fitting is a cinch as all you need to do is find a 12v supply and a ground connection. The original head unit tunes into the fm output signal of the Digitizer, which merely has to be in the car to function. I tried to use the windscreen stick on dab aerial that has been mentioned, but found its performance to be iffy. I eventually made up my own outside aerial using the mast from a magnetic one I had lying around which i inserted into the windscreen surround and attaching a length of coaxial cable, which fitted neatly into the windscreen channel, I ran it into the car. I then soldered the wire to the windscreen aerials amplifier unit, which incidentally can be powered from the digitizer. Performance is excellent. It is controlled by a small remote control unit that is supplied with it
    You can fit one of these very quickly, and of course remove it just as fast