Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    whale wrote: »

Yes! Thank you for sharing. Another interesting article with more little tidbits about CC. Her reaction upon visiting NYC for the first time was much like mine. I was expecting something totally different than I actually experienced and cannot wait to go back!

And not to be catty or anything, but the poor woman needs a fashion consultant! That dress she is wearing is AWFUL!! Thank goodness the late Joan Rivers doesn't cover that particular award show because she would cut CC to pieces over that dress and it's not the first time I've seen pictures of her in something that bad. She's beautiful and needs to wear things that accentuate her beauty.

And I will provide no comment on that tattoo. You all know how I feel about it already.

But I will say yay for DCI Banks coming soon! Thank goodness airdates in the UK and US for that show are pretty closely the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of you know I lost my job in July and have been in the job market since. A recruiter contacted me about a local firm (large company) which was looking for a technical writer / mechanical engineer. Huh? Weird combination.

That is they need an engineer who can write manuals, instructions, forms, classes, presentations AND understand stress analysis, design, and FEA (finite element analysis). Everybody knows engineers hate to write and can't write...

Well I am an engineer and can do all the techie stuff plus write (a little maybe).

I had a telephone interview today and during our mutual introductions the man told me (as I talked about being able to write): "I know I found you on Fanfiction." "Which story?" "Uhm, it was Magnum, P.I. which was cool because I always liked Magnum." Wow. I laughed inside! That's where I really started FF...

Anyway I now have a a face-to-face interview for this job, based on my engineering documents I shared and my experience (not just FF alone) this Thursday for this job.

So as what can fanfiction lead to? :) Wish me luck!

Rob
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Rob. Good luck with your interview. I work with a few engineers who are geniuses but cannot write. You are rare and will get the job!

What can fanfiction lead to? 50 Shades of Grey is based on a Twilight fanfic. The horrible book was a best seller and the even more horrible has already grossed $100 million.
  • Options
    carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    All the best to you Rob! Great news and how terrific that FF led to this!!! YEAH for you!
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Some of you know I lost my job in July and have been in the job market since. A recruiter contacted me about a local firm (large company) which was looking for a technical writer / mechanical engineer. Huh? Weird combination.

That is they need an engineer who can write manuals, instructions, forms, classes, presentations AND understand stress analysis, design, and FEA (finite element analysis). Everybody knows engineers hate to write and can't write...

Well I am an engineer and can do all the techie stuff plus write (a little maybe).

I had a telephone interview today and during our mutual introductions the man told me (as I talked about being able to write): "I know I found you on Fanfiction." "Which story?" "Uhm, it was Magnum, P.I. which was cool because I always liked Magnum." Wow. I laughed inside! That's where I really started FF...

Anyway I now have a a face-to-face interview for this job, based on my engineering documents I shared and my experience (not just FF alone) this Thursday for this job.

So as what can fanfiction lead to? :) Wish me luck!

Rob

Absolutely awesome, Rob! So happy to hear your story, and fingers crossed!:cool:
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Absolutely wishing you the best Rob!
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news Rob! M
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fantastic! Good luck Rob!! We're pulling for you all the way.
  • Options
    robbleonarobbleona Posts: 6,261
    Forum Member
    Thanks for sharing! I noticed that you can see Caroline's tattoo in the close-up photo - it's visible through her sleeve. For all the work they do to cover it on DM, I was expecting something like a skull or Voldemort's Death Eater mark! :D

'rumoured to be the last series'...sounds familiar, but I think this one WILL be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Good luck, Rob. We're rooting for you!
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/…/story-26046745…/story.html

with thanks to ConnieJ who posted this on FB Doc Martin Series 6 page.

I am "chuffed" about this.

Probably now is a good time to point out that not everyone wants to know what's in the works for S7. On the formatting line, there's a faint S at the end. Click on that to hide whatever of your text might be "spoiler". Those who want to read any and all information, including spoilers, can readily read it, but others won't see it.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    New Park. Yummmmmmm. Thank you
  • Options
    earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Rob - good luck as you move forward in the job process! Sounds like it will be a good fit for you :)
  • Options
    earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/…/story-26046745…/story.html

with thanks to ConnieJ who posted this on FB Doc Martin Series 6 page.

I am "chuffed" about this.

Probably now is a good time to point out that not everyone wants to know what's in the works for S7. On the formatting line, there's a faint S at the end. Click on that to hide whatever of your text might be "spoiler". Those who want to read any and all information, including spoilers, can readily read it, but others won't see it.

Thanks, NewPark and ConnieJ!
    Personally, I hope they stick with ONE baby (or twins, ideally). Although the individual babies used in S5 and S6 were delightful and adorable, I found it terribly distracting to have such obviously different babies playing JH. I can appreciate the difficult logistics of filming infants, but hopefully they are able to be a little more consistent in S7.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the job interview and have been offered a contract writing job documenting engineering software. OMG.

And in the category of when it rains it pours, I also have an interview next week for a different job that is pure engineering. I had already committed to talk to those folks, so will see what happens; pushing the 2nd firm for a quick answer.

Needless to say I am excited, relieved and shaking with delight and the release of tension!

Rob

p.s. And yes writing FF clearly helped if it proved I can write almost anything! At least I will maintain that thought. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the job interview and have been offered a contract writing job documenting engineering software. OMG.

And in the category of when it rains it pours, I also have an interview next week for a different job that is pure engineering. I had already committed to talk to those folks, so will see what happens; pushing the 2nd firm for a quick answer.

Needless to say I am excited, relieved and shaking with delight and the release of tension!

Rob

p.s. And yes writing FF clearly helped if it proved I can write almost anything! At least I will maintain that thought. :)

INCREDIBLE ROB! Congratulations and enjoy the relief..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member

Rob

Congratulations, Rob!
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Yay Rob!!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may be way off base here, but it's occurred to me to wonder: when Martin tells Louisa at the end of S6 that he doesn't want things to go back to the way they were either, can that possibly mean that he acknowledges that he isn't happy with some aspects of their married life either (other than that Louisa is so unhappy)? In other words, will he be able to acknowledge and say out loud that there are changes he needs/wants from Louisa?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I may be way off base here, but it's occurred to me to wonder: when Martin tells Louisa at the end of S6 that he doesn't want things to go back to the way they were either, can that possibly mean that he acknowledges that he isn't happy with some aspects of their married life either (other than that Louisa is so unhappy)? In other words, will he be able to acknowledge and say out loud that there are changes he needs/wants from Louisa?

Let us HOPE so!!! Surely the producers drove us into the swamp for a reason? Now they can get us out of that hole and back to the light. Look at the sweetness of Series 3, which to me was the height of their romance, even the tender moments of Series 4, before it all slid towards the cliff. Those are the moments that I wish with all my heart they recognize they must use to resolve the him versus her dilemma.

Neither Martin or Lousia know how to communicate effectively with the other. I hope that in Series 7 they apply power, pull the nose up, and climb back into the sun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let us HOPE so!!! Surely the producers drove us into the swamp for a reason? Now they can get us out of that hole and back to the light. Look at the sweetness of Series 3, which to me was the height of their romance, even the tender moments of Series 4, before it all slid towards the cliff. Those are the moments that I wish with all my heart they recognize they must use to resolve the him versus her dilemma.

Neither Martin or Lousia know how to communicate effectively with the other. I hope that in Series 7 they apply power, pull the nose up, and climb back into the sun.

I agree. Maybe part of Martin's funk in S6, is that he was in fact unhappy with the way things were going but didn't know how to deal with Louisa about those issues and so just stifled and tried not to let things bother him, which is often a prescription for psychosomatic symptoms instead.

Yes, please let the writers "climb back into the sun."
  • Options
    Ms_SarahMs_Sarah Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I agree. Maybe part of Martin's funk in S6, is that he was in fact unhappy with the way things were going but didn't know how to deal with Louisa about those issues and so just stifled and tried not to let things bother him, which is often a prescription for psychosomatic symptoms instead.

Yes, please let the writers "climb back into the sun."

Yes, I hope he will voice his issues with her. Speak up, Martin!
    Let's hope the writers don't continue the overplayed "chalk/cheese" angle. Its not fun watching an aging couple bicker.

Interesting point, NP. A contributing factor, I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Rob

Congrats Rob, your patience and perseverance has paid off!! Not to mention your valuable talents too ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Knowing the Martin Ellingham character and hearing his speech in the OR previously, it's most likely that he is denigrating himself and acknowledging that he is a rubbish husband primarily, but, that being said, his statement about not wanting things to be the same also may foreshadow some realizations he might attain in the future. I'm hoping that Louisa gets smacked in the face with her unrealistic expectations and bad behavior too. This is going to be interesting. Very excited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Knowing the Martin Ellingham character and hearing his speech in the OR previously, it's most likely that he is denigrating himself and acknowledging that he is a rubbish husband primarily, but, that being said, his statement about not wanting things to be the same also may foreshadow some realizations he might attain in the future. I'm hoping that Louisa gets smacked in the face with her unrealistic expectations and bad behavior too. This is going to be interesting. Very excited.

I agree that the context of the OR speech does make it seem more like he wants to be a better husband and that's how he hopes things will be different. Maybe it will even come as a huge surprise to him that there are ways in which Louisa could be a better wife, also, and thereby make it a little easier to be a better husband.

Another question is to how Louisa herself (is meant to have) interpreted the remark. Did she hear him say that he had some unhappiness also with her behavior?
This discussion has been closed.