Options

Charities - GO AWAY !!

Comments

• Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Oh the irony of us all giving out about charities and the sponsored advertising is for charities!
  • Options
    himerushimerus Posts: 3,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought they weren't allowed to rattle their tins now?

That is my understanding as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    There was a fundraiser outside my supermarket the other day collecting money for the rotary club. As I hadn't got a clue what a rotary club was coupled with the fact that I dislike all things to do with Christmas, I swerved the donations box at the entrance. The man gave me a look as if to say "scrooge!" and I simply smiled at him and said "nice weather we're having". I don't like being pressured into charitable donations. I think, as an adult, I'm capable of making those choices for myself and I won't be bullied into giving just because someone is present waving a box around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    There was a fundraiser outside my supermarket the other day collecting money for the rotary club. As I hadn't got a clue what a rotary club was coupled with the fact that I dislike all things to do with Christmas, I swerved the donations box at the entrance. The man gave me a look as if to say "scrooge!" and I simply smiled at him and said "nice weather we're having". I don't like being pressured into charitable donations. I think, as an adult, I'm capable of making those choices for myself and I won't be bullied into giving just because someone is present waving a box around.

I remember collecting outside supermarkets with my dad in the 80s, when he was in the Round Table. It was lovely, everyone was friendly, even those that chose not to throw any money in the bucket. Good times... wish I could go back to them.

The rotary club are collecting outside my local Asda. They have sweets for the kids and a smile for everyone. I find it really nice. It means Christmas is here.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with giving money to people outside of shops or wherever, but it's those adverts that really piss me off. I hate the way they pressure you into giving.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always love it when people blame charities for their own shortcomings.
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    dont see anyone outside downing st /houses of parliment asking for donations why not stand outside there?about time the politicans gave something back/instead of the poor old taxpayer,
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    I don't mind giving to charities, but I will never give to one that advertises on the TV.
    They cry hard up but have enough money to pay thousands of pounds to produce and air adverts.

Because they bring in more money than the cost of the advert.
  • Options
    LifeisGoodLifeisGood Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    I have no problem with giving money to people outside of shops or wherever, but it's those adverts that really piss me off. I hate the way they pressure you into giving.

I hate that too. I don't like having my emotions manipulated. It puts me off giving anything to those charities.

I also hate the chuggers who ask "do you care about sick children?" as you walk past. What they are doing is so obvious that its an insult to people's intelligence. :mad:
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest charity con on TV has to be some foreign women's thing where they want you to send money to help stop the women becoming prostitutes or something. Sorry but if a country is allowing this sort of thing to happen then it should be up to them to sort it out as until NHS stops it's cutbacks & until the UK government starts helping it own homeless & needy, the rest of the world can do one, not our responsibility.

British money for British Charities !
  • Options
    crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember a UNICEF advert a while ago and Ewan Mcgregor was in it, i can't remember exactly what it said but i can remember being severely p*ssed off about it. It was something along the lines of 'you CAN afford one pound' or a similar assumption that we can afford it and he has the right to tell us that.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had three cold callers for three different charities today knocking on my door. As I have a sign on my door saying that I will not accept been pressured on my door.

I was called an insensitve bastard because of the notice by one of the charities so reported them.
  • Options
    ladydedlock77ladydedlock77 Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just been in town and walked past a charity stand and heard the words "would you like to support......" I did not actually catch which charity it was. I was a bit pissed off as I was expecting my jobseekers to be paid today and it had not been so I had to walk into town and was having to walk back home. Yes I would like to support those who need help but I am actually having a pretty difficult time supporting myself at the moment. Sorry if that sounds self indulgent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Its been the same every year, has been for decades. (And always will be!)

Think of all the money raised in times past it must add up to a tidy sum no?.

As far as I can see nothing has changed and nothing will no matter how much people give.
    Its just hard core emotional blackmail :-
    'Oi you sitting down to a nice xmas dinner watching your 40" telly in the warm and unwrapping your presents,
    Look at this poor chap on the streets with NOTHING, just look into his/her sad puppy eyes and give £3 pounds a month and shut up!'.

It's just that time of year Im afraid :rolleyes:
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 3 direct debits set up for charities - two of them from being approached in the street and one from a tear-jerking tv ad. I try to avoid those bucket-carrying people, but if cornered, I will donate. I find it hard to refuse.
  • Options
    crunchienutcrunchienut Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its been the same every year, has been for decades. (And always will be!)

Think of all the money raised in times past it must add up to a tidy sum no?.

As far as I can see nothing has changed and nothing will no matter how much people give.
    Its just hard core emotional blackmail :-
    'Oi you sitting down to a nice xmas dinner watching your 40" telly in the warm and unwrapping your presents,
    Look at this poor chap on the streets with NOTHING, just look into his/her sad puppy eyes and give £3 pounds a month and shut up!'.

It's just that time of year Im afraid :rolleyes:

^^ This

I have to admit to thinking to myself whats the point in giving money? Its obviously not helping all that much, in ten years time, that same advert will be there, even if everyone in the country gave everything they could spare. (EDIT: on top of the massive amounts of aid the government gives)
    Charities are constantly asking for money, and yet nothing ever seems to change.
    They don't even do an advert one year saying something like 'look who your money helped last year' and then show you a village in Africa with clean water and healthy-er looking children.
  • Options
    Crawley CutieCrawley Cutie Posts: 10,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave to a, " Christmas" charity, last year. Since then, I have been inundated, on a weekly basis, with letters/emails requesting more money.

Do they think we are all rich ? Don't they realise their pushy behaviour is off putting ?
  • Options
    the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at how much money has been donated to Africa within the last 30 years.

It makes me sick.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »
    I always love it when people blame charities for their own shortcomings.

I love it when people make assumptions.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    I Kind of respect those sixty somethings outside the supermarket, giving up their time to do something good.

I agree. I can imagine they may get some abuse :( I know I could't do it :o
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    dont see anyone outside downing st /houses of parliment asking for donations why not stand outside there?about time the politicans gave something back/instead of the poor old taxpayer,

I remember when Eddie Izzard was doing his marathon a day charity and selling Ice Creams from a van, I think, in Downing Street. One of the Milliband brought one and handed over a coin :mad: Tight arsed git :mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    monkeydave68monkeydave68 Posts: 2,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at how much money has been donated to Africa within the last 30 years.

It makes me sick.

and they are still just the same as they always were
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    I was in my local shopping centre today and turned to go down one "street"... but then saw a cancer research chugger walking back and forth. I actually turned back round and went the long way just to avoid him.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I never give to charities who do the following : guilt trip TV adverts, use chuggers, send out unsolicited mass mailings, make unsolicited phonecalls, knock on doors uninvited.

Out of interest, how do you imagine they could raise any money at all if they didn't advertise? :confused:
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    my son watches cartoon network and is regularly brought to tears by the adverts for sponsor a dogs trust dog.