Options

What genre of music do you think will dominate in 2013 ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kpop

Before this year, non of the Kpop bands were really big over here unless you were Asian and already into them.

With Psy's number 1 and then Bigbang coming to tour here,, I think Kpop will be much better over the next few years. We will learn a bit of Korean to understand it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I demand a wonky-pop comeback :D
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something spirit-crushingly bland and mediocre no doubt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pop music less to do with clubs, midtempos/ballads and EDM dance music.
  • Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Fifth Harmony?
    lol, thanks for the laugh.

I thought the Saturday's was more funny
  • Options
    bridgerrbridgerr Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    Deathcore mixed with break/dub core. A 'more listenable' example of this is with VersaEmerge's new single Bones but I can foresee the whole Metal industry slowly moving this way to expand into a ever greater audience. aka Korn.
  • Options
    Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    I demand a wonky-pop comeback :D

Care to elaborate as to the meaning of 'wonky-pop' ?? :D
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A recent example would be Marina & The Diamonds- The Family Jewels.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alternative as well as more alternative forms of dance music. House and Drum n Bass probably will make a comeback, at the same time being probably the last ditch FOR dance music before alternative electronica-influenced rock music comes back in. MGMT for example are due a comeback record and bands like fun. and Foster the People should continue their rise.

80s-style pop rock perhaps is due its turn.

I think the style of Lady Gaga's new album will also be very telling as to what the 'next big thing' will be.

Pop rock is making waves as well between fun and Pink's latest effort's successes - and its a genre Rihanna hasnt really dipped into yet and something Carly Rae Jepsen and Taylor Swift are primed to dabble in. Stateside I can see that growing in popularity. The UK market I can see becoming more niche again.
  • Options
    StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    You can't dismiss the influence of the talent shows that easily I'm afraid. The current number 1 record is from the X Factor, Ollie Muirs was no 1, 1D have been no 1 in both charts recently and represent British music in the USA with considerable success.

Yes, there are other influences from Euro pop and beyond (the DS chart put Gangnam Style as best song...aghhhh).
    The last significant movement was BritPop from the early to mid 90s and there was even a touch of retro about that.
    What surprises me is the conservative use of new technologies and a lack of quality songs that hit a popular chord.

I disagree, the last significant movement was Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson's rise bringing retro and soul back into pop music, paving the rise for Winehouse herself and Duffy and Lily Allen, and later, Adele, and at the same time; producers getting credit on songs - arguably opening the doors for Guetta. Calvin Harris also debuted around the same time as Ronson I believe.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree, the last significant movement was Amy Winehouse and Mark Ronson's rise bringing retro and soul back into pop music, paving the rise for Winehouse herself and Duffy and Lily Allen, and later, Adele, and at the same time; producers getting credit on songs - arguably opening the doors for Guetta. Calvin Harris also debuted around the same time as Ronson I believe.

I'm a great fan and advocate of Amy Winehouse and her positive influence on current pop music. But I'm not convinced (YET) that the rediscovery of 60s soul amounts to a movement on a par with the rise of guitar bands, 60s soul, art rock, punk, electronica and other great movements in pop culture just yet. And I mean just yet, the cyclical nature of pop music means that genres do get rediscovered but moved on to a new level by a new generation like punk and much dance music. Time may change that and I think the notion of a girls generation in pop music might be fair but there is no clear new sound within this generation apart from Amy herself. I would like to say there is.

As for the producers credit, that's just a technical anomaly put right. There have great producers from the past whose influence has been recognised but didn't get their name placed prominently on the credits. And I'm not sure that the promotion of producers as artists has actually improved the quality of pop music. Rather we are bombarded with remixes and over-produced, under-developed 'songs' for the most part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    A recent example would be Marina & The Diamonds- The Family Jewels.

Hmm,with a title like that shouldn't the genre be 'winky pop' ?
  • Options
    SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuvan throat singing
  • Options
    tpau21tpau21 Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    house music
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 2013 will b the year of Big Ballads.
    Look what has happened over the past few months...
    Beneath your beautiful, rihanna-stay, 1D little things, rihanna-diamonds...
    I reckon next year the "David Guetta" style beats will take a back seat and it'll b piano led ballads that will take over.. Songs with a much slower pace .... Thoughts???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Basically 2007, like Mika and Scissor Sisters... I liked them back then :o
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots more god damn dubstep. Even computer games are now becoming littered with the garbage.

Its so easy to make that the market is becoming saturated with it. Boot up FL Studio, pop a duckie bass line, draw a silly line in the LFO and bam, you have a dubstep super hit.

Add in pops recent love of motown/northen soul and you have endless streams of crooning over a dubstep track.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Basically 2007, like Mika and Scissor Sisters... I liked them back then :o

'life in cartoon motion' & 'ta-dah!' had some cracking pop tuneage on them indeed !!
    Would Alphabeat be 'wonky pop' ?
    Sadly all three acts haven't done as well in the past couple of years.I can't think of any 2012 acts you would call wonky-pop,possibly 'Marina & the Diamonds' which Hav-mor mentioned earlier in this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Lots more god damn dubstep. Even computer games are now becoming littered with the garbage.

Its so easy to make that the market is becoming saturated with it. Boot up FL Studio, pop a duckie bass line, draw a silly line in the LFO and bam, you have a dubstep super hit.

Add in pops recent love of motown/northern soul and you have endless streams of crooning over a dubstep track.

Now, a bass driven northern soul dubstep soundclash of Al Wilsons 'The Snake' would be one audiomindf**k !! :D