Do people actuallpay £4500 for a bloody ring?

VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
Forum Member
And why would someone want one?? I'd rather have a holiday somewhere super luxurious than a piece of jewellery that I'd be scared of wearing in case I got robbed!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    People that can afford both... and the insurance
  • Scarlett FeverScarlett Fever Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not sure where this refers to -but...

if it is an engagement ring, then traditionally it should cost one month salary
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member

Carla and Peter - Corrie
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess they could do, but as part of the storyline, im not sure, maybe that 4,500 grand bill, ends up biting carla on the bum, someway down the line
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    ............ a piece of jewellery that I'd be scared of wearing in case I got robbed!

totally agree: I only ever wore a £10 watch to work, and when on holiday leaving my dad's pre-war Omega at home, safely, for special occasions.
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Peter is an impotent loser that can't pay his way. Even his son doesn't want to be with him. Just open another bottle, Peter and it might all go away.
  • tuppencehapennytuppencehapenny Posts: 4,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to whom? I've never heard of this tradition!

But then I am a grumpy old so-and-so who finds it difficult to understand why anyone would spend thousands on rings and even more thousands on weddings. Especially on Corrie where - if the wedding goes ahead at all - the marriage will last hardly any time at all.

I hated that scene, Carla seeming so greedy, salivating over a stupidly expensive ring while Peter has just ruined his business and she's rescuing him financially. She had just been presented so sympathetically with Hayley, and there she was being shallow and materialistic.
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    The ring has significance.....
    Carla and Peter end up Pawning it/Selling it at Rob and Tracy's new shop when the Factory runs into a bit of a dry spell, caused by Peter's inexperience
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carla had to want that ring because Peter has to feel like crap so that he will want to get revenge on Rob.
  • Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a lot, but in Carla's mind she can afford it, she intends to wear it every day for the rest of her life, and she sees no future where the two of them aren't married: so why not?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess they could do, but as part of the storyline, im not sure, maybe that 4,500 grand bill, ends up biting carla on the bum, someway down the line

Bit weird really how Carla was kind of like trying to persuade Peter to go the extra mile as it was the one she wanted -

then ended up actually paying for it herself - not sure if anyone else noticed that

- bet that bill comes back to haunt Carla down the line yeah :-)
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people actually do, I'm sure my Grandparents did YEARS ago
  • OpprobriumOpprobrium Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    I thought it was traditionally supposed to be THREE months wages?

If only *sighs*
  • AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Carla wanted to really bring it home to Peter just how emasculated and controlled he has become, she couldn't have done it any better than with the scene in the jewellers.
    Most of the time she spent barely looking at Peter in the shop while he stood there with his frown tripping him.
    It illustrated brilliantly how Carla views Peter as her latest accessory and is relishing toying with him and taking advantage of his passivity to turn him into her model obedient husband/poodle, while he is in a permanent sulky catatonic state and looks like a lobotomised fly in the web of the preying mantis.:)
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VoodooChic wrote: »
    And why would someone want one?? I'd rather have a holiday somewhere super luxurious than a piece of jewellery that I'd be scared of wearing in case I got robbed!

You're clearly not engaged to Carla, who not only wants a massively expensive piece of bling, but expects the luxury holiday as well.

To be fair to her, she will be paying for both. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menime123 wrote: »
    I thought it was a lot, but in Carla's mind she can afford it, she intends to wear it every day for the rest of her life, and she sees no future where the two of them aren't married: so why not?

Why not? Because she has in no way taken into account Peter's feelings, and has made him feel totally inadequate, which is why no way in a month of Sundays will this marriage work and why he should (and eventually will) be back with Leanne. :cool:
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beats the the £30 Argos rings that make your fingers go green :D

If I had the money then why not but I properly would rather spend it on a holiday or something else each to their own but considering Peter was crying poverty last week, Carla's a bit high maintenance.
  • fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So in Peter's case he has to find a ring that costs minus35K :D

£4500 for a ring, bloody hell. Mine was £250 from Sri Lanka ;)
  • PeculiarcandlePeculiarcandle Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    alienpanda wrote: »
    Carla and Peter end up Pawning it/Selling it at Rob and Tracy's new shop when the Factory runs into a bit of a dry spell, caused by Peter's inexperience

This can't be true. Even if they did need to pawn a ring, surely they would take it someone else??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you have any source for this please?

I know they will have to find storylines for the new second-hand shop, (eg, Audreh's sudden money problems), but I didn't know anything had been released yet?
  • mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,764
    Forum Member
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Why not? Because she has in no way taken into account Peter's feelings, and has made him feel totally inadequate, which is why no way in a month of Sundays will this marriage work and why he should (and eventually will) be back with Leanne. :cool:

Good point. "Peter" and "inadequate" go together like a horse and carriage. Salt and pepper. Fish and chips. Mo and Alice.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is the last place they would take it. also, wouldn't they make far more by selling it privately.
  • Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »

Diamonds are a girls best friend. She knew what she was doing :cool:
  • AndreaMCAndreaMC Posts: 3,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carla is a diva. At the wedding she is going to want a carriage pulled by One Direction with a built in champagne fountain manned by Chippendales dressed like binmen,lol. On the wedding night she has to bathe in the blood of young virgins scented with chanel no. 5.
    She'll be ready for Peter after he's been sanded and spray painted in dulux gold paint.
    I can't wait to see it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    People that can afford both... and the insurance

Peter can't :D