Options

Northampton and Herts, Beds and Bucks DAB muxes to split

Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,213
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Haven't seen this mentioned here yet: Radio Today http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/01/dab-splits-in-herts-beds-bucks-and-northants/ and a516 http://www.a516digital.com/2015/01/changes-to-local-dab-in-northampton.html are reporting that the Northampton and HBB muxes are to go their separate ways from next month. This means that, for example, Radio Northampton and 3CR will only be available in their respective areas. Only Sunrise and Connect FM will remain the same on both muxes.

Comments

• Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know the background on this and why? It is a strange move to go to the effort of splitting them now.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No real loss in this area losing BBC Northampton - their own local shows I never thought were up to much. It would be nice if the joint broadcast of 'Treasure Hunt' was axed as well!
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone also tell me the current broadcasting arrangements for

former Chiltern Radio North
    former Chiltern Radio South
    former Horizon Radio

The original Chiltern Radio North (also known as Chiltern Radio Ouse Valley), was on 95.5 (then 96.9) and 792 kHz MW. This serves Bedford

The original Chiltern Radio South was on 97.6 MHz and 828 kHz MW. It was 828 that was the Supergold on Sky News in the anlalogue sky days.

I was under the impression that the current arrangements are that on MW

792 has different ads to 828 and,

on VHF

96.9 has different ads to 97.6

and 103.3 (the former Horizon Radio) is also different ads.

I also had the impression that DAB listeners on both muxes got a copy of 828 kHz (Chiltern South version), and 103.3 (the former Horizon Radio). This is probably because Milton Keynes was the host feed in the days of "The Hot FM" so it became the host feed for the whole of the 4 Counties network.

Despite this, before Chiltern became Heart, 96.9, 97.6 and 103.3 were all different, and 792 and 828 were also different for ads on MW.

The licence changes on the Ofcom website still show that 828 kHz will be the version for Smooth 4 Counties mux, but for Heart it still says a simulcast of either AL010 or AL012 - which is either Horizon Radio OR Chiltern.

So please can someone tell me -

1: What version of Heart is on DAB on Northampton and HBB muxes at the moment?
    2: Are the adverts still different on the different frequencies - particularly 96.9 and 97.6, as Ofcom lists these now as the same licence.

Also has anyone got a recorfding of the Engineering announcement on the temporary channel which apparently appeared on Sunday on both muxes and have the same SID. Does anyone know the SID number?

Thanks
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope the Wolverhampton/Shropshire MUX will follow suit and split soon.
    Shropshire only gets the Wolverhampton output of Free Radio and Free Radio 80s on DAB. It has been the same since the days of Beacon Radio.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shropshire only gets the Wolverhampton output of Free Radio and Free Radio 80s on DAB. It has been the same since the days of Beacon Radio.

That is NOT planned to happen. It can be done on the former Chiltern/Northants area because Northampton had a separate frequency allocation to Herts Beds and Bucks. Wolverhampton/Shropshire is one mux and has not got a second frequency block.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Does anyone know the background on this and why? It is a strange move to go to the effort of splitting them now.
    Northants and HB&B are separate licences.
    The initial merged offering was more of a stopgap.
    The problem there is that Wolverhampton & Shropshire are just a single licence. It's unlikely the same will/can happen there.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I suspect this will do nothing to help reception in Bucks nominative county town.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    The problem there is that Wolverhampton & Shropshire are just a single licence. It's unlikely the same will/can happen there.

Excuse my ignorance but it was my understanding that Plymouth and Cornwall are one licence (they were awarded together at least), but two separate multiplexes and broadly similar content (although there are stations on one mux that aren't on the other).

Or am I wrong?
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    I suspect this will do nothing to help reception in Bucks nominative county town.
    You're right, it won't do anything.
    But there shouldn't be a long wait for a DAB signal to come to Aylesbury, anyway.
    moox wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance but it was my understanding that Plymouth and Cornwall are one licence (they were awarded together at least), but two separate multiplexes and broadly similar content (although there are stations on one mux that aren't on the other).

Or am I wrong?
    I believe you're right. Two frequencies were made available for this licence which allowed splitting to take place between Plymouth and Cornwall.
    The mux operator decided to do just that.
    From memory, Cornwall had Pirate and Plymouth Sound but no Classic Gold.
    Plymouth had Classic Gold and Plymouth Sound but no Pirate.
  • Options
    SonOfPurpleSonOfPurple Posts: 2,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regarding 3 Counties/Northants, Wohnort currently indicates the current combined mux carries the MK version of Heart; if I recall correctly, from the information available around the time the mux opened, the Smooth (previously Gold) version carried was the Dunstable 828 version.

Presumably Global has the facility in place to split the transmissions such that when 10C goes its own way, Heart for Northampton (the old Northants 96) and Smooth 1197 will go up, though of course the programming elements will differ little...
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    Northants and HB&B are separate licences.
    The initial merged offering was more of a stopgap.

How does Free / Free 80's split in the ex Beacon area?

Is 97.2 fm & Free Wolves one feed, with 103.1 being another feed(No separate Shropshire service on Dab!) with Free 80's Wolverhampton & 990 & 1017am being the same feed, or is there advert splits for Shropshire am frequencies as well?
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment, Radio Northampton struggles to reach the south of the county on 104.2 FM and on Northants DAB. Fortunately, the HBB DAB MUX from Bow Brickhill and Sandy Heath is strong in that area. It sounds like that source will be gone soon.
  • Options
    Casey B SeeCasey B See Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Dissapointing news for me. I won't be able to listen to Bernie Keith on DAB anymore. I for one want Treasure Quest to stay as it is. JVS always did the best version and that means those of us served by 3CR get this Treasure Quest now too.

As for Radio Northampton, as a station I much prefer it to 3CR. It's quieter, friendlier and more homely. The presenters on the whole are warmer, and personally, I just find it much easier to listen to.
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good heavens, what will West Kent do when Radio Northampton is no longer available here? :o

We'll just have to wait until Step 1 kicks in and Radio Kent finally goes out on DAB from Wrotham !
  • Options
    N.DeanN.Dean Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Good heavens, what will West Kent do when Radio Northampton is no longer available here? :o

We'll just have to wait until Step 1 kicks in and Radio Kent finally goes out on DAB from Wrotham !

Can you get Radio Kent on FM there ? If you can, there's no need to wait for it to be on DAB.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Good ! currently I have a DAB radio without manual tune facility and it opts to tune to 10D instead of 10C (Northampton)
  • Options
    Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Presumably Global has the facility in place to split the transmissions such that when 10C goes its own way, Heart for Northampton (the old Northants 96) and Smooth 1197 will go up, though of course the programming elements will differ little...

1557, surely?!
  • Options
    OrangyOrangy Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N.Dean wrote: »
    Can you get Radio Kent on FM there ? If you can, there's no need to wait for it to be on DAB.

No the joke is that the Kent multiplex is so poor, that unless you're close to Tunbridge Wells, Medway, Maidstone or Canterbury then you've not got much hope. I get a better signal around East Surrey than much of West - North Kent on 11C.

Essex and HBB get in to North West Kent better (apart from London)
  • Options
    Gerry1Gerry1 Posts: 4,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangy wrote: »
    No the joke is that the Kent multiplex is so poor, that unless you're close to Tunbridge Wells, Medway, Maidstone or Canterbury then you've not got much hope. I get a better signal around East Surrey than much of West - North Kent on 11C.

Exactly !

I can't understand why Wrotham has always been one of the last sites to be DAB enabled, rather than the first. There were low power fillers at Otford and Kemsing, but Kent was also missing from them.

Kent (11C) used to be listenable with a bit of fiddling, but when Wrotham fired up its transmitters on 11B and 11D they punched a hole in 11C. Nothing to do with French TV either, it was too far away and it's closed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrotham will transmit Kent soon.
  • Options
    Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    N.Dean wrote: »
    At the moment, Radio Northampton struggles to reach the south of the county on 104.2 FM and on Northants DAB. Fortunately, the HBB DAB MUX from Bow Brickhill and Sandy Heath is strong in that area. It sounds like that source will be gone soon.
    There are three new transmitters planned for Northants as part of the build-out plans which might help out? In the meantime it'll be hard to explain to the average listener who doesn't know anything about muxes why their DAB reception of Radio Northampton has suddenly got worse!
    Orangy wrote: »

I can get listenable reception of the Kent mux from the Tunbridge Wells transmitter around Reigate/Redhill - so this might actually improve when Wrotham comes on!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can get listenable reception of the Kent mux from the Tunbridge Wells transmitter around Reigate/Redhill - so this might actually improve when Wrotham comes on!

Indeed it might. High points in Redhill and bursts between Reigate and Dorking do quite well considering Bluebell Hill and Tunbridge Wells are really the only 2 TXs that would be covering the area. St Marks may help improve things a bit too.

I think the Ofcom Kent pre signed agreement proposal map is probably underestimating outdoor mobile coverage for properly installed car aerials.

Off topic, but I'm really quite disappointed that East Grinstead didn't make it on to the list for Sussex at all, despite being on the plans and now includes BBC 12B.

I do wonder about the changes for London - I'd be surprised if the antennas on Reigate for London I, II (quite directional at the mo) and III (post Sussex changes) don't get modified.

I had wondered if the BBC had been working through TX sites which weren't going to be seeing local DAB rollout after all. Which is why for example East Grinstead is online whereas Crawley isn't. But then the list doesn't entirely correlate, so perhaps not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1557, surely?!

Aha. Just doublechecked with the Smooth site and Northants AM is indeed 1557, had it down wrong in my own offline reckoner - lordy alone knows where I got 1197 from, it's not, as far as I can tell, a Smooth frequency at all!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are three new transmitters planned for Northants as part of the build-out plans which might help out? In the meantime it'll be hard to explain to the average listener who doesn't know anything about muxes why their DAB reception of Radio Northampton has suddenly got worse!

I'm no expert but I believe I'm currently getting FM - and possibly national (and London?) DAB - from Wrotham - I'm in that little corner where London Freeview (from Crystal Palace, obviously) and radio comes in relatively clear, but reception of Meridian TV (Bluebell Hill, I presume) and/or Kent DAB is also usually possible, if the equipment's in the mood, even without Wrotham's help - and even the Southend mux has turned up on occasion, though not on all of our digital sets. (Not unusual for me to hear from Essex - back in the analogue days Anglia would occasionally float across, and as I've said before, Time 107.5 comes in clearer than, say, Capital Xtra on 96.9). So when the Kent mux goes live on Wrotham, DAB reception for those of us in this particular bolthole will only improve. Indeed, I'll be able to get KMFM and its cohorts pretty much round the clock.

Mine is a slightly awkward area to serve properly, in fairness - too far into London for the Kentish stations to worry about, and too deep into the south east for the London-based services to concern themselves with, but with our own local stations largely no longer existing (Time 106.8/107.3, TGR) I guess we gotta take what we're given!
  • Options
    BangersBangers Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Exactly !

I can't understand why Wrotham has always been one of the last sites to be DAB enabled, rather than the first. There were low power fillers at Otford and Kemsing, but Kent was also missing from them.

Kent (11C) used to be listenable with a bit of fiddling, but when Wrotham fired up its transmitters on 11B and 11D they punched a hole in 11C. Nothing to do with French TV either, it was too far away and it's closed.

The short answer is that Wrotham was never on the Radio Authority Reserved Assignment List, which is why it was low down the pecking order for DAB transmissions.