Options

Majorca to introduce fines for inappropriate dress on holiday

Comments

• Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I've already said It doesn't bother me what people wear on the beach. However, if I'm sitting in a cafe and a near naked person pushes past my chair I don't like it. I also don't like seeing such people pawing food in supermarkets.

The 1500's called looking for you. Apparently there's a woman who showed her ankle that needs burning.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done Majorca.
    Nothing wrong with a bit of decorum now and again.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I blame fat hairy arsed germans for this.
  • Options
    xorosetylerxoxorosetylerxo Posts: 6,674
    Forum Member
    Totally agree keep swimwear and beach wear for the beach ! England is getting just as bad. We got a bit of sun maybe in the 20 degrees mark and the sights around the supermarket were enough to make me sick. I don't want to see big hairy toes in flip flops , topless men or women's jelly rolls hanging out when I'm shopping for food :eek:. Ive traveled the world and been in climates that are unbearably hot and the locals don't strip of - it seems to be a European thing.

Maybe the reason the locals don't strip off as their are locals and presumely used to hot weather while I'm guessing a lot of the tourists are not
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I posted in the previous thread this law is from the Ajuntament de Palma, and therefore does NOT apply to any of the island's resorts.

For reference, the area in blue shown on this map is where the law applies. Nowhere else.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Localització_de_Palma_respecte_de_Mallorca.svg
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    100% in favour too. I don't have a problem with people being topless or wearing skimpy swimwear on beaches or by the pool but they should put some form of cover up on when they leave such areas.

There are very very few people who look good in skimpy swimwear and if I had a bar or cafe and people were coming in nearly naked I would hate it. I've seen old men of about 80 in thongs (just like on Benidorm), massive old ladies with skins like leather and men with who look like they're expecting sextuplets and it's not nice. Teenage girls with flabby blancmange bellies and thighs are also equally offensive to the eye.

What's so hard about pulling on a T shirt or a cool, loose kaftan type top.:confused:

Why should they? It's only skin. :confused:
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This law seems to be winding the clock back, as back in the 70's I and my friend were damn lucky not to be arrested on the front in Palma for not wearing shirts.

The copper pointed to a sign (in Spanish/English) that made it clear that it was deemed illegal to dress "immodestly" in any public place in the city, and anyone was subject to arrest for breaching it.....
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    This law seems to be winding the clock back, as back in the 70's I and my friend were damn lucky not to be arrested on the front in Palma for not wearing shirts.

The copper pointed to a sign (in Spanish/English) that made it clear that it was deemed illegal to dress "immodestly" in any public place in the city, and anyone was subject to arrest for breaching it.....

I've seen women turned away from churches in Malta because they are inappropriately dressed and also in Spain. Most of the hotels we stay in also ask that "gentlemen wear long trousers in the restaurant when dining in the evening."

I live in a holiday area in Norfolk and have noticed several pubs, cafés and shops now have signs asking people to cover up when entering their premises. So I'm not the only one who is not happy seeing acres of sweaty flesh.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    It's not the swimwear that they should be cracking down on but the wearing of full football kit complete with long socks that should be outlawed.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    The Net wrote: »
    It's not the swimwear that they should be cracking down on but the wearing of full football kit complete with long socks that should be outlawed.

:D:D:D

We're off to Majorca for a week in July, but we're staying in a private villa in the countryside between Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa. I can wear my budgie smugglers to my heart's content.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    :D:D:D

We're off to Majorca for a week in July, but we're staying in a private villa in the countryside between Pollensa and Puerto Pollensa. I can wear my budgie smugglers to my heart's content.

Why bother with the budgie smugglers at all if you're in a private villa in the countryside?;-):)
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Why bother with the budgie smugglers at all if you're in a private villa in the countryside?;-):)

Because we're taking my 15 year old daughter and her friend this year, so I doubt it would go down too well with her parents. :D
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    I wish they would bring it in where I live in Spain. One supermarket here has a notice on the door asking people to dress before they go in - who the hell wants sweaty fat bodies dripping all over the shop.
    Do these people walk round their local shopping area dressed like this when it is warm in UK ?

quite. if you wouldn`t pick your kids up from school in it, it`s not appropriate.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Apologies if there is a thread already about this (though I obv haven't seen it) but I've just read about this today, and I think it is a brilliant idea........:)

I can't post links etc, don't actually know how to, but it's from the Daily Mail today and it said that Majorca is cracking down on tourists wearing swimwear whilst out walking around the town etc.

People will be fined if they're seen walking around the town, going into bars and restaurants and have failed to cover up and put on appropriate clothing. This applies to both men and women.

As far as I'm concerned, I think it's a good thing. Whether you're fit and toned, or fat and flabby, I think walking into bars and restaurants wearing your swim wear can't be a good thing :o

I can't wait for it to happen in other places now.......

Does anyone else think the same?

BIB - How to copy and paste: Quick lesson:

See the address at the top of the page? E.g. this one - forums. digitalspy etc.

Or any other address. Then:

1. Move your cursor up to it and left click. The address should turn blue

2. Hold down Ctrl button and press C - to copy

3. Wherever you wish to post the link - Hold down Ctrl button and press V - to paste

4. Voila!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1964377
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love wearing shorts and t shirts,
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,046
    Forum Member
    It's daft making it a blanket law, but I have no issue with individual businesses enforcing such a rule if they see fit.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    BIB - How to copy and paste: Quick lesson:

See the address at the top of the page? E.g. this one - forums. digitalspy etc.

Or any other address. Then:

1. Move your cursor up to it and left click. The address should turn blue

2. Hold down Ctrl button and press C - to copy

3. Wherever you wish to post the link - Hold down Ctrl button and press V - to paste

4. Voila!

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1964377
    Thanks for the lesson :)

I will give it a go as soon as I find anything worth linking....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cg_Evans wrote: »
    Maybe a compromise, wear a sarong /shorts or beach top at least....I dont see why people should get fully dressed when its hot, its not a church, its the summer resort where you need to feel relaxed and cool....when out shopping, having a drink or a meal in the days heat
    But it isn't about them getting fully dressed is it? Just a simple pair of shorts and a t shirt would suffice.......

And I've noticed that it's usually the people who should cover up more that seem to wear the least.....:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The locals probably actually say 'Here come all the folk who keep our country from going bankrupt, let's not upset them too much'.

As for ridiculous, it covers an area that wouldn't be much affected anyway. But if it covered a tourist beach it would mean not being able to walk to the beach or back to your hotel without getting fully dressed. Nothing to do with bars and restaurants.[/QUOTE]
    I'm assuming from reading the article that the whole point of this new law is that it's actually all to do with bars and restaurants....

It's everything to do with bars and restaurants. I'm assuming that is the reason they're bringing in this law in the first place.

I understand why local bar/restaurant owners wouldn't want to upset the tourists too much if they do rely heavily on their summer trade, but I still don't get why some people actually want to go into shops/bars/restaurants without wearing proper clothes! I mean, not even shorts and a summer top? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I just don't understand why people get so upset about nudity - or in this case swimwear - in a public place. If it's in a non-sexual context then I really don't see what the problem is.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I'd never heard of this, I went to Majorca and saw all sorts walking round in all kinds of states half dress,

the skimp police must have had the week off
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I can see the point of this actually , if in an eating area , public seating area etc,
    some swimwear especially womens is pretty flimsy in the pubic area , If I was expected to sit and eat in the previous customers sweaty, salty labia juices I think I'd be asking for a cloth and some disinfectant , eeewwww!!!!
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »

In the 60s and 70s when Franco was in charge, ladies couldn't wear bikinis, only a swimsuit. Apparently Franco was very annoyed when he cruised along the Costas and saw all the high rise hotels going up and ordered that they should cease and only build low rise.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ghespetti wrote: »
    I'd never heard of this, I went to Majorca and saw all sorts walking round in all kinds of states half dress,

the skimp police must have had the week off
    See post #31.
  • Options
    jratkinsonjratkinson Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    dragonzord wrote: »
    I love wearing shorts and t shirts,
    Me too, especially if the t-shirt is of the sleeveless type a bit like this one: https://eab1793cae3caded2471-04966d3e2cee50bc1d9fda07eac23603.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/m_products_products_photo/2000x2000/Fruit-of-the-Loom-Sleeveless-T-Shirt.jpg :)