Masterchef new series (17/01/12) (Part 2)

Comments

• RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Aw - I like Jay but it was fair. Oh - three nights next week. I'll miss the tuesday :(

My revision this week has been a disaster for my mock on Saturday is next week I will have to hit the books extremely hard so I am making MC my rest time if it's at 9 each of those nights!!!
  • RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    marinamau wrote: »
    Agree that it is shelina's to loose now. Although I will be glad if either of the three win, I have never been excited or enticed by shelina's, whether I have by toms or Andrews. But that is because I don't like eating Mauritius food (I don't like spices that much). But still she would be my choice for the winner as she has incredibly consistent and well praised all round. Besides it would be nice for another woman to win it.

If it makes you feel any better - my parents are Mauritian and they were convinced they had the wrong child because I hate spicy food!
    I like the least spicy, more flavoured food so a lot of Shelina's food would be way too hot for me. But she has displayed a lot of finesse and technique.
    Mauritian food is not known for its daintiness - HUGE plates!!!

But I think she's kept a steadyish ship and has shown she can move away from those influences when she's had to ...
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I've really taken to Shelina as a person and she's barely put a foot wrong. She completed all the components for afternoon tea and her two pastry desserts looked exquisite.

I hope they aren't building her up for a fall though. I just sense we might be in for a shock and Tom will take this (a bit like when Peter won in series two).

No, for that to happen, he would have to take a couple of days off sick, let the other 2 cover for him - even making his dishes from the reciepes so they could be marked ... for him only and no credit given at all to the other 2.

And breathe.
    And let go ....
    :o
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I still like Andrew as well, but I found him a little bit wet when talking to John & Gregg. Plus, he's been told numerous times not to over-complicate his dishes but he can't seem to resist.

Andrew needs to follow the coco chanel rule.
    Less is more.
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    No, for that to happen, he would have to take a couple of days off sick, let the other 2 cover for him - even making his dishes from the reciepes so they could be marked ... for him only and no credit given at all to the other 2.

And breathe.
    And let go ....

:) now, now....!

In fairness there is just a hint of Peter about Tom. He's really struggled to get his food out on time both in the studio and in the real world, and he talks a better game than he delivers - a pet hate of mine in any walk of life.

Tom's Lemon Tart must be up there as one of the worst plates of food ever produced at this stage of Masterchef - a total mess - his ideas are way above his technical range.

As with last year, I think the 'BBC1 format' of MC has produced an apparently lower standard of chefs generally, but I feel that Shelina and Andrew are very deserving finalists and would have had a chance in any of the previous years. I think they are both much better than Tim who was last year's winner.
  • newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member

In fairness there is just a hint of Peter about Tom. He's really struggled to get his food out on time both in the studio and in the real world, and he talks a better game than he delivers - a pet hate of mine in any walk of life.

Tom's Lemon Tart must be up there as one of the worst plates of food ever produced at this stage of Masterchef - a total mess - his ideas are way above his technical range.

As with last year, I think the 'BBC1 format' of MC has produced an apparently lower standard of chefs generally, but I feel that Shelina and Andrew are very deserving finalists and would have had a chance in any of the previous years. I think they are both much better than Tim who was last year's winner.

As compared to which version, this years OZ finalists were the worst I have EVER seen, are you comparing with the US version?
    Forum Member
    right decision, Tom has ANOTHER lucky escape, this guy is just so over rated, he's had a few good rounds, but alot of shockers!
    Don't really care who wins, none of them excite me, I was rooting for Andrew, and I think he's the best but he is his own worst enemy.
    I'm sure Shelinas food tastes yummy, but she's never made anything totally wow IMO, are they all a bit safe this year? Or are we just spoilt by the magic that is MC The Professionals??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newkid30 wrote: »
    As compared to which version, this years OZ finalists were the worst I have EVER seen, are you comparing with the US version?

Just for clarification I am comparing the BBC1 'version' with the previous BBC2 version which had a longer and IMO more rounded format. The BBC being a UK broadcaster. I don't watch any of the US, Aus etc versions despite other posters constantly littering this thread with mentions of those shows - another of my pet hates :)
    Forum Member
    Just for clarification I am comparing the BBC1 'version' with the previous BBC2 version which had a longer and IMO more rounded format. The BBC being a UK broadcaster. I don't watch any of the US, Aus etc versions despite other posters constantly littering this thread with mentions of those shows - another of my pet hates :)

Sorry Macavity, I misinterpreted what you meant. Have you not enjoyed any of the finals since it switched to BBC1? I like the first few, but this year and last years to a lesser extent I feel have really suffered from the scheduling. I think they should either commit to supporting the show properly on BBC1 or put it back on BBC2.
  • iceyciceyc Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny that Jay wasn't crossing himself and thanking the heavens this week. :yawn: Right decision for him to go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry Macavity, I misinterpreted what you meant. Have you not enjoyed any of the finals since it switched to BBC1? I like the first few, but this year and last years to a lesser extent I feel have really suffered from the scheduling. I think they should either commit to supporting the show properly on BBC1 or put it back on BBC2.

I've not enjoyed it as much as the BBC 2 version tbh, though I've found this year's more watchable than last. The BBC2 format was much longer - 6 weeks of 4 heats with 6 chefs in each - that's 144 chefs! And you could track the chefs progess through the heats, QFs much more easily. Now we just start off with a final 20, where they are all competing against each other and the eliminations seem really random at times. Therefore you get a lot more weaker chefs getting further in the comp. e.g. Eammon and Jay, who I don't think would have progressed as far under the old format.

I still don't really get why the BBC moved from 2 to 1? MC was one of BBC2's highest rated programmes - averaging around 3 million.I think it averages around 5m on One - was it really worth the move?

And then, as you say, they really mess around with the scheduling as well - its as though they are not bothered about it until the last week. So why bother having it on BBC 1 if they are not going to take it seriously? :confused:
  • PigsMightFlyPigsMightFly Posts: 15,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's a two-horse race now between Andrew and Shelina - I really can't call it! I like them both! Unless he steps up his game considerably I can't see Tom winning this - too many slip ups.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marinamau wrote: »
    Agree that it is shelina's to loose now. Although I will be glad if either of the three win, I have never been excited or enticed by shelina's, whether I have by toms or Andrews. But that is because I don't like eating Mauritius food (I don't like spices that much). But still she would be my choice for the winner as she has incredibly consistent and well praised all round. Besides it would be nice for another woman to win it.

I completely agree. It's frustrating as this year's final does feature the correct contestants, but Tom and Andrew are very obviously Shelina fodder. Tom is being depicted as arrogant and Andrew as overambitious - leaving Shelina to clean up.

That's not to slag off her food - I'm sure it's great, even if it does appear rather limited at times - and Tom clearly botched one of his desserts last night - but there is no tension in the narrative of the show, because there's no real question over who will win ... which doesn't make for gripping viewing.
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    I completely agree. It's frustrating as this year's final does feature the correct contestants, but Tom and Andrew are very obviously Shelina fodder. Tom is being depicted as arrogant and Andrew as overambitious - leaving Shelina to clean up.

That's not to slag off her food - I'm sure it's great, even if it does appear rather limited at times - and Tom clearly botched one of his desserts last night - but there is no tension in the narrative of the show, because there's no real question over who will win ... which doesn't make for gripping viewing.

She seems to be getting alot of help too, she got a tip off yesterday that stopped from burning and then in other round there was advise about venison. I am sure they all get advise, but the editing is making it look like she's being singled out. She seems to be the golden girl, and yet I find her food uninspiring. Does anyone remember the final that Druv was in and each of the final three were fantastic, that was my fav ever. :)
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    She seems to be getting alot of help too, she got a tip off yesterday that stopped from burning and then in other round there was advise about venison. I am sure they all get advise, but the editing is making it look like she's being singled out. She seems to be the golden girl, and yet I find her food uninspiring. Does anyone remember the final that Druv was in and each of the final three were fantastic, that was my fav ever. :)
    we noticed that again last night, but on the other hand, why show her mistakes if she's the chosen one? Surely it would work against her?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    we noticed that again last night, but on the other hand, why show her mistakes if she's the chosen one? Surely it would work against her?

Not sure if it does, but Jay had the undeniably overwhelming benefit of Shrek carrying one of his chocolate tarts to the blast chiller last night - didn't do him much good in the end did it?! :)
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not enjoyed it as much as the BBC 2 version tbh, though I've found this year's more watchable than last. The BBC2 format was much longer - 6 weeks of 4 heats with 6 chefs in each - that's 144 chefs! And you could track the chefs progess through the heats, QFs much more easily. Now we just start off with a final 20, where they are all competing against each other and the eliminations seem really random at times. Therefore you get a lot more weaker chefs getting further in the comp. e.g. Eammon and Jay, who I don't think would have progressed as far under the old format.

I still don't really get why the BBC moved from 2 to 1? MC was one of BBC2's highest rated programmes - averaging around 3 million.I think it averages around 5m on One - was it really worth the move?

And then, as you say, they really mess around with the scheduling as well - its as though they are not bothered about it until the last week. So why bother having it on BBC 1 if they are not going to take it seriously? :confused:

I agree :)
    I think the final 3 are pretty much on a par with other final 3's - glossing over 2006 ;) - 2007 had Over-ambitious-bad-time-manager-Steven as the wininer with Home-cook-and-Baker-Hannah and Ben the Crying Cheesman as runners up (and CCM was one of the first 'innovaters'. I still remember his final dishes, featuring foam when it was still new and some sort of savory jammy pudding thing).

I see from Wiki :cool: that 2007 had 40 episodes and this year has 15. Even allowing for the hour long episodes that's still a short fall.
  • MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would really like to see Shelina win this, but if it all goes on the final 3 course meal her consistently great dishes, time keeping and general manner will count for nothing.

Toms not quite there as a Masterchef winner for me and theres something about Andrew (can't quite put my finger on it) that would make me disappointed if he wins - bit like Peter all those years ago - will never forget that most stupidest decision in the history of Masterchef.
  • snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The judging on Masterchef surely isn't that bad. We can't do the tasting can we and the impressions given owe much to the editing.

I tried watching the New Zealand Masterchef which was showing on freeview. I wasn't much impressed with anything really, the contestants, judges and overall standard was poor. And then they re-introduced some eliminated contestants into the competition. Talk about contrived rubbish, it was well into X Factor territory. Gave up at that point.
  • SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    right decision, Tom has ANOTHER lucky escape, this guy is just so over rated, he's had a few good rounds, but alot of shockers!
    Don't really care who wins, none of them excite me, I was rooting for Andrew, and I think he's the best but he is his own worst enemy.
    I'm sure Shelinas food tastes yummy, but she's never made anything totally wow IMO, are they all a bit safe this year? Or are we just spoilt by the magic that is MC The Professionals??

I think this is true. She makes lovely food and it always looks great, but I feel that when it comes to genius there's a spark in Tom - although he hasn't been consistent - and in Andrew who needs to stop trying so hard and needs - in writer's terms - to develop the ability to kill his darlings.
  • pearljpearlj Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    Snigger....
    Hubby just said "the jock will like that", when it showed something deep frying

Was going to reply, not worth it.
  • pearljpearlj Posts: 1,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    Would really like to see Shelina win this, but if it all goes on the final 3 course meal her consistently great dishes, time keeping and general manner will count for nothing.

Toms not quite there as a Masterchef winner for me and theres something about Andrew (can't quite put my finger on it) that would make me disappointed if he wins - bit like Peter all those years ago - will never forget that most stupidest decision in the history of Masterchef.

No the stupidest decision was letting Jayne Middlemass win the Celeb version. As I recall she had a lot of help too, at least Shelina does not cry as much as she did. Still grates me that she won that year, sad but true.
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »

And breathe.
    And let go ....

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's still bitter about Peter :D
    mimi dlc wrote: »
    Andrew needs to follow the coco chanel rule.
    Less is more.

Quite!

The danger is, Andrew is going from being seen as overly ambitious (which isn't altogether a bad thing) to coming across as being quite stubborn now. We know he's talented but he has to start producing dishes where all the elements work together instead of trying to show off so much. The good news is he still has three shows to change the judge's minds.
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cannot take to Tom at all. Did anyone ever find out why Peter won several years back - he so obviously wasn't the winner and didn't even want to be a chef. And didn't he miss some challenges? Any gossip?
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agree. Didn't really agree with Tim winning