The Alexandra Burke Appreciation Thread (Part 7)

Comments

• Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if it's a decent video, it's still obvious that there is a big problem here. Single 1 was shot in a warehouse and single 2 is being shot in a car park. Whether the video is good or not is irrelevant...the issue is that RCA obviously aren't spending much. I can't see any excuse for it either. I know it was mentioned a few months ago by someone that RCA might be trying to save money to promote her in the U.S, but that doesn't come into it as the U.S label that she's signed to would have a budget for that. To be honest though, even if that did come into it, RCA are playing a very dangerous game here with her in the UK. I mean, using the choreographer of Elephant as the guy in the video...they're obviously trying to cut costs, but the question is why? Is it because they don't have much confidence in her, or is there some other reason behind it? Most of the budget should go on the first couple of singles and the album itself, plus promotion etc. By the time it gets to single 4, most people who are going to get the album already have it, so I can understand why a lot of labels don't spend a lot on singles 3 and 4 (Olly Murs's 'Oh My Goodness' for example)...but of course it is still important. It's a bit worrying...I can't see where the budget has gone so far...there's been no huge promotion, cheap video etc. I'm praying that there's something big in store as otherwise this era could be a bumpy ride.
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Sadly I think it's heading that way too...they seem to be giving her a budget of a flopped newcomer...if she really had to switch labels, she should have switched to Epic or stayed with Syco...RCA just don't seem keen to dish out any cash to her at all....they trashed Diana as well, and judging by what is going on now with Alexandra, they will do the same to her....

If they really did have confidence, they would have given her a big budget to start with, but the Elephant video was at completely the other end of the scale....
    I'm just praying that they may have upped the budget for this song...and that it sounds good...

You just know you're in deep sh*t when you're getting the same treatment as Marcus Collins, actually....his artwork was miles better and they got his radio premiere right...instead of messing it up for Elephant. I'd go as far as saying their A&R is also very questionable as they've approved something like Elephant to serve as a 1st single....but that's a different discussion all together :yawn:
  • universetippinguniversetipping Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^

You guys are so negative.

Can we have this discussion when you've heard the new song and seen the video? It doesn't make much sense at this stage.

You've reminded us at every opportunity that you didn't like the Elephant song (many would disagree with you) or the video.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 348
    Forum Member
    I just had a look at RCA uk rosta. The international acts get Bigger push, better videos etc I'm guessing RCA in the USA and elsewhere in the world is run better. The ul acts on the uk rosta are just not given a great push. It's a j
    Forum Member
    *joke. Alexandra should be getting a bigger
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Liya* wrote: »
    You just know you're in deep sh*t when you're getting the same treatment as Marcus Collins, actually....his artwork was miles better and they got his radio premiere right...instead of messing it up for Elephant. I'd go as far as saying their A&R is also very questionable as they've approved something like Elephant to serve as a 1st single....but that's a different discussion all together :yawn:

The thing is, Syco were willing to stump up the cash for Alex, shooting 2 videos for SWY can't have been cheap, and while some things were botched, I do feel like she's jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire with this....

I don't think Elephant was a bad single choice at all, but it needed to be backed up by stronger imagery and more glitz and this wasn't done, so things looked even worse than they could have done if RCA spent the money on her....it's rather disappointing, but RCA don't even have a good track record with new artists either so I am extremely nervous for this single and upcoming album....

In a way, I am glad she didn't totally leave Syco....I can imagine that she could possibly move back to them if things go wrong with RCA...
    Forum Member
    Push than she is getting. Even Rebecca ferguson also a RCA artist has had a rubbish push but the public were drawn to her album. I think the label are a mess.

Sorry for the split of my message lol, I'm typing this on my iPhone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^

You guys are so negative.

Can we have this discussion when you've heard the new song and seen the video? It doesn't make much sense at this stage.

You've reminded us at every opportunity that you didn't like the Elephant song (many would disagree with you) or the video.

You have a point but at the same time you can't bury your head in the sand with this situation either....Alarm bells started ringing for me when I saw how RCA handled Elephant (i.e. not really well at all)....

I'm just seriously pinning all my hopes on the song....If it's not great then Alex is in trouble matter of factly....we've already seen that her standing at the label is not great at all....

In fact, the fact that she said 'I had to prove myself to a new label' says it all...
  • ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Guys, there might be more than one location for all we know!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. David Guetta
    2. Rico Love
    3. Fraser T. Smith
    4. Priscilla Renea
    5. Claude Kelly
    6. Novel
    7. Autumn Rowe
    8. Soulshock & Karlin
    9. StarGate
    10. Sandy Vee
    11. Ina Wroldsen
    12. Lucas Secon
    13. Patrick "J. Que" Smith
    14. Timothy "Labrinth" McKenzie
    15. Sam Watters
    16. Steve Booker
    17. Matt Squire
    18. Sean Garrett
    19. The Stereotypes
    20. Belle Humble
    21. Jason Gill
    22. Eshraque "iSHi" Mughal
    23. Thunda Catz
    24. Matt Schwartz
    25. Erick Morillo
    26. Cutfather
    27. Benny Benassi
    28. Emeli Sandé

^^^Do we think these guys came cheap? We may even be adding Red One to that list.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoed wrote: »
    Guys, there might be more than one location for all we know!

I think there has to be more than one location...especially considering the gaps in shoot times....

The car park party must be for the end of the video...please tell us who the directors are when you get there though...and what the song sounds like of course + lyrics....none of us will Let It Go until you do.....JK :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we think these guys came cheap? We may even be adding RedOne to that list.

When did she work with Labrinth? Plus she did switch labels in the middle of recording so we don't know how many of those were down to RCA....

Plus D.Guetta is not confirmed either...and how much do we actually know about her work with Benny Benassi...?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did she work with Labrinth? Plus she did switch labels in the middle of recording so we don't know how many of those were down to RCA....

Plus D.Guetta is not confirmed either...and how much do we actually know about her work with Benny Benassi...?

That's the list of names has been knocking around. She confirmed the majority over Twitter.

Even discounting those three, it's still pretty impressive.

I think she's all but confirmed Guetta.
  • ShoedShoed Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    Oh guys, I'm going to put you at rest....
    There is 3 diff locations :)

not saying where because I can't say anything else. xx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the list of names has been knocking around. She confirmed the majority over Twitter.

Even discounting those three, it's still pretty impressive.

I think she's all but confirmed Guetta.

Even Benny? I've never seen her mention him....the Guetta rumours have been pretty heavy, and she did the fake laugh thing when asked about it (she's a bad liar) so I would be surprised if she hasn't worked with him...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shoed wrote: »
    Oh guys, I'm going to put you at rest....
    There is 3 diff locations :)

not saying where because I can't say anything else. xx

I thought as much...the timings seemed weird for just one location....I just hope the directors are better than the ones she got last time...:-/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even Benny? I've never seen her mention him....the Guetta rumours have been pretty heavy, and she did the fake laugh thing when asked about it (she's a bad liar) so I would be surprised if she hasn't worked with him...

The original source months back (a guy who does music reporting for Digital Spy and tweeted about hearing "Let It Go" the other day) said that the first single was between an Erick Morillo track or a Benny Benassi track for the first single...

This was in July though so who knows?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The original source months back (a guy who does music reporting for Digital Spy and tweeted about hearing "Let It Go" the other day) said that the first single was between an Erick Morillo track or a Benny Benassi track for the first single...

This was in July though so who knows?

Interesting....in any case I'm excited for Let It Go...I just wish she'd hurry up and premiere it...
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    Shayeeee wrote: »
    I just had a look at RCA uk rosta. The international acts get Bigger push, better videos etc I'm guessing RCA in the USA and elsewhere in the world is run better. The ul acts on the uk rosta are just not given a great push. It's a j

Loick Essien has had 4 very good videos, actually...even though, most of his songs underperformed. It's obvious who the label have faith in and who they don't.
    1. David Guetta
    2. Rico Love
    3. Fraser T. Smith
    4. Priscilla Renea
    5. Claude Kelly
    6. Novel
    7. Autumn Rowe
    8. Soulshock & Karlin
    9. StarGate
    10. Sandy Vee
    11. Ina Wroldsen
    12. Lucas Secon
    13. Patrick "J. Que" Smith
    14. Timothy "Labrinth" McKenzie
    15. Sam Watters
    16. Steve Booker
    17. Matt Squire
    18. Sean Garrett
    19. The Stereotypes
    20. Belle Humble
    21. Jason Gill
    22. Eshraque "iSHi" Mughal
    23. Thunda Catz
    24. Matt Schwartz
    25. Erick Morillo
    26. Cutfather
    27. Benny Benassi
    28. Emeli Sandé

^^^Do we think these guys came cheap? We may even be adding Red One to that list.

That list means absolutely nothing when there's no spending on promoting and creating an image to go along with the material to help it sell.....i'd say, i doubt those people will be giving her their best material after they see how crappy she's being treated by her label either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting....in any case I'm excited for Let It Go...I just wish she'd hurry up and premiere it...

Isn't is coming with the video? Probably next week or the week after.

I feel like Elephant was around for too long before the release.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't is coming with the video? Probably next week or the week after.

I feel like Elephant was around for too long before the release.

It was only that way because RCA didn't act properly with the promotion. I think she'll either say something by the end of this week/beginning of next week, with a premiere the week after....

It could come sooner with the release date pushed forward mind, but the promo needs to be better planned for this release imo...
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long after the Elephant video was shot did we hear the actual song, and then how long was it till the video premiered?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave0893 wrote: »
    How long after the Elephant video was shot did we hear the actual song, and then how long was it till the video premiered?

Didn't we hear the song before the video...?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    mememee wrote: »
    Agreed. This is an ABAT which means it is a thread to appreciate Alexandra. Not diss other artists.

Without Cheryl, Alexandra wouldn't be where she is today.

WOOOW! Chile, have several seats! You tried that. -__-
  • djc_22djc_22 Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't we hear the song before the video...?

Yup :) We did, we heard it at January and the video wasn't out until February
This discussion has been closed.