Majorca to introduce fines for inappropriate dress on holiday

cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
Forum Member
Apologies if there is a thread already about this (though I obv haven't seen it) but I've just read about this today, and I think it is a brilliant idea........:)

I can't post links etc, don't actually know how to, but it's from the Daily Mail today and it said that Majorca is cracking down on tourists wearing swimwear whilst out walking around the town etc.

People will be fined if they're seen walking around the town, going into bars and restaurants and have failed to cover up and put on appropriate clothing. This applies to both men and women.

As far as I'm concerned, I think it's a good thing. Whether you're fit and toned, or fat and flabby, I think walking into bars and restaurants wearing your swim wear can't be a good thing :o

I can't wait for it to happen in other places now.......

Does anyone else think the same?

Comments

• mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,818
    Forum Member
    Only applicable in Palma so will have pretty much zero effect which is good as it's a ridiculous law.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood going around in public in bikini's etc; I've seen it happen in the UK too in hot weather. Girls popping into the shops in a bikini top and shorts.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stupid, puritanical nonsense that is likely to make the tourism industry there nose dive.

Way to shoot yourselves in the foot, Majorca.
    Forum Member
    Stupid, puritanical nonsense that is likely to make the tourism industry there nose dive.

Way to shoot yourselves in the foot, Majorca.

Couldn't have said it better myself. For a country that is on it's arse financially it's not the best move.
  • cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Only applicable in Palma so will have pretty much zero effect which is good as it's a ridiculous law.
    Why is it a ridiculous law?

I get that there'll be loads of people that won't like it. But on the other hand, I'd hate to be a bar/restaurant owner over there and be serving people with absolutely no etiquette, and see them sitting at a table wearing next to nothing.

And it wouldn't matter if they're attractive or not, it just looks all a bit common to me, and i imagine all the locals say "oh look, here come the English"!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    redrose89 wrote: »
    I've never understood going around in public in bikini's etc; I've seen it happen in the UK too in hot weather. Girls popping into the shops in a bikini top and shorts.
    I think Peter Kay did a routine on it.

As soon as you get off the plane on your holiday it's deemed acceptable to walk around shopping in your undies
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »

I get that there'll be loads of people that won't like it. But on the other hand, I'd hate to be a bar/restaurant owner over there and be serving people with absolutely no etiquette, and see them sitting at a table wearing next to nothing.

And it wouldn't matter if they're attractive or not, it just looks all a bit common to me, and i imagine all the locals say "oh look, here come the English"!

The locals probably actually say 'Here come all the folk who keep our country from going bankrupt, let's not upset them too much'.

As for ridiculous, it covers an area that wouldn't be much affected anyway. But if it covered a tourist beach it would mean not being able to walk to the beach or back to your hotel without getting fully dressed. Nothing to do with bars and restaurants.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done majorca. 100% in favour of this law. Pity there isnt a law here in britain that bans men from walking the streets with no shirts on. Bit of sun and you are faced with men being vain by stripping off.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Well done majorca. 100% in favour of this law. Pity there isnt a law here in britain that bans men from walking the streets with no shirts on. Bit of sun and you are faced with men being vain by stripping off.

100% in favour too. I don't have a problem with people being topless or wearing skimpy swimwear on beaches or by the pool but they should put some form of cover up on when they leave such areas.

There are very very few people who look good in skimpy swimwear and if I had a bar or cafe and people were coming in nearly naked I would hate it. I've seen old men of about 80 in thongs (just like on Benidorm), massive old ladies with skins like leather and men with who look like they're expecting sextuplets and it's not nice. Teenage girls with flabby blancmange bellies and thighs are also equally offensive to the eye.

What's so hard about pulling on a T shirt or a cool, loose kaftan type top.:confused:
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would do a law for my local park. First bit of sun and it's white beer bellies and flapping bingo wings galore!
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redrose89 wrote: »

I'd pass a law to make sure that always happens. :D:p
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I commented on the last thread.

They mentioned swim wear and my husband wears swim shorts as normal shorts, are they going to disallow that?

I however wear a bikini and put on shorts/kaftan type top over it. However if I am at the poolside I will only put on my shorts to go to the bar, I know that is different.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Don't they have anything important to do? Perhaps this is a sign that they should downsize their local authority?
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with them. They should also ban glass on beaches over here. Whan I was in Majorca I felt embarrassed to be associated with the English yobs on the beach, leaving litter strewn all over the place.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't they have a law in Italy making it illegal for ugly people to go topless? Or something. What came of that?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Here come the English? Better add the Scottish, American, German, and pretty much every other nation on earth.

Oh and add to that the locals who do it as well of which in the height of the summer months are most of them in the young age bracket.

As said, a stupid law which will kill their tourism industry.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    100% in favour too. I don't have a problem with people being topless or wearing skimpy swimwear on beaches or by the pool but they should put some form of cover up on when they leave such areas.

There are very very few people who look good in skimpy swimwear and if I had a bar or cafe and people were coming in nearly naked I would hate it. I've seen old men of about 80 in thongs (just like on Benidorm), massive old ladies with skins like leather and men with who look like they're expecting sextuplets and it's not nice. Teenage girls with flabby blancmange bellies and thighs are also equally offensive to the eye.

What's so hard about pulling on a T shirt or a cool, loose kaftan type top.:confused:

I go abroad often, and until this silly law came in, i can't say i even thought about this before. I'm too busy enjoying my time away rather than looking for things to moan about.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Your hatred of the human form is your own problem.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish they would bring it in where I live in Spain. One supermarket here has a notice on the door asking people to dress before they go in - who the hell wants sweaty fat bodies dripping all over the shop.
    Do these people walk round their local shopping area dressed like this when it is warm in UK ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sick of all this pandering to Muslims!

Oh wait...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Apologies if there is a thread already about this (though I obv haven't seen it) but I've just read about this today, and I think it is a brilliant idea........:)

I can't post links etc, don't actually know how to, but it's from the Daily Mail today and it said that Majorca is cracking down on tourists wearing swimwear whilst out walking around the town etc.

People will be fined if they're seen walking around the town, going into bars and restaurants and have failed to cover up and put on appropriate clothing. This applies to both men and women.

As far as I'm concerned, I think it's a good thing. Whether you're fit and toned, or fat and flabby, I think walking into bars and restaurants wearing your swim wear can't be a good thing :o

I can't wait for it to happen in other places now.......

Does anyone else think the same?
    Totally agree keep swimwear and beach wear for the beach ! England is getting just as bad. We got a bit of sun maybe in the 20 degrees mark and the sights around the supermarket were enough to make me sick. I don't want to see big hairy toes in flip flops , topless men or women's jelly rolls hanging out when I'm shopping for food :eek:. Ive traveled the world and been in climates that are unbearably hot and the locals don't strip of - it seems to be a European thing.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Your hatred of the human form is your own problem.

I've already said It doesn't bother me what people wear on the beach. However, if I'm sitting in a cafe and a near naked person pushes past my chair I don't like it. I also don't like seeing such people pawing food in supermarkets.
  • Cg_EvansCg_Evans Posts: 2,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a compromise, wear a sarong /shorts or beach top at least....I dont see why people should get fully dressed when its hot, its not a church, its the summer resort where you need to feel relaxed and cool....when out shopping, having a drink or a meal in the days heat