Options

the black girl who struggles to get votes

Comments

• Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Misha's singing was no where as easy on the ears as Burke or Leona. I found her style harsh and unpleasant.

As for her persona...X-Factor voters don't like folk who give too much attitude and seem pretentious. Doesn't matter if they are white/black or male/female - just ask Cher, Katie and Danyl for a start.

Also one black female was chucked off the show for "Happy Slapping" someone and posting it on YT. Want to include her in her wacky stats too.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    ribtickle wrote: »
    According to the 2001 Census there's over a million mixed race, said to be 1.4%, and around 2.2% black. The Asian percentage, which is never discussed in forum 'racist' claims, is around 4.5%. Then there's around 1% Chinese/other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_England

So, the percentage of black or mixed race getting to the final two spots in X Factor is 12 times the national demograph.

It would be accurate to suggest that if you're a female soloist or a black/mixed race member of a group you stand a considerably better chance in the X Factor than white female soloists or white groups do, AND this popularity will be confirmed by a history of higher sales afterwards.

not really. (the last bit). most black acts have support from black people at the start of their careers. in XF they are at a disadvantage because they need support from their own community and the white population who vote.

if there are only 1m black people and 1m mixed race people, then we can gather that about 200,000 of each would watch the show at a maximum, as out of that 1m of each, there will be young children, the elderly and those who dont watch the show. then out of the 400,000 black and mixed race people who might watch the show, its not likely they will all vote (in my family, being black, I'm the only one who votes (who also watches the show).

So its actually harder for black acts, as they have to appeal to white audiences. so as the weeks go on, the support needs to increase for the contestant, and say most of the black voting population DO vote for the black act (which they may not), they'll need support from the white voters to progress. if 15/16m people vote, then it shows that black acts are bound to struggle, as if every black person (child, elderly, middle aged etc) voted for the black act, they'd survive till week 3 at a push. if there are 16 contestants they'll survive a little longer, but if there are the traditional 12, they'll be out almost instantly if they dont get white support: which happens very frequently.

also not all the asian population will watch x factor. there will be elderly people, children and many babies in that 4.5%. so the main age range will be 8-50.

and white acts generally appeal to white people as history has showed (elvis, the beatles) MJ came third due to thriller, without thriller, he wouldnt have been that popular among white audiences.
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misha's singing was no where as easy on the ears as Burke or Leona. I found her style harsh and unpleasant.

As for her persona...X-Factor voters don't like folk who give too much attitude and seem pretentious. Doesn't matter if they are white/black or male/female - just ask Cher, Katie and Danyl for a start.

Also one black female was chucked off the show for "Happy Slapping" someone and posting it on YT. Want to include her in her wacky stats too.

now they've chucked a white male off the show for taking coke.

Statistically if you don't want to get chucked off the show for breaking the law, you should be a white female or black male?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »
    but its about performance connection. not press airtime. thats not what we should be judging. and in alexandras case, she had as much airtime as laura white, diana, JLS, eoghan etc. she was no different. she won by default like leona and the same as little mix, they were simply the best left from the quarter finals. and them being mixed race is irrelevant, they were put together based on voices at bootcamp. and there has only been 1 black winner. the other two had mixed race members. leona, leigh anne and jade. mixed race and black arent the same thing. they are half black and half white. not just black because they have black heritage.

I know what mixed race is i'm pointing out that there is little point asking is it a race issue if we have had so many finalists of different races who have got there on the merit of their talent not because of their race.

There will always be someone struggles to get votes for a number of reasons either connection, lack of airtime or their mentor giving them songs that are predictable or boring there is always a contestant every year who will struggle to get votes it's nothing to do with their race it's just the public haven't backed them for one reason or another.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    masterquan wrote: »
    Misha was not that good. If she was no matter how many people are inherently against black contestants there wouldn't be that many people saying she cant sing.
    Her voice was just not that pleasant I thought she was pretty average throughout

she clearly could sing. she just needed training, as she had many bad habits (as kelly pointed out). her bad habits also made her voice seem harsh too. people said janet was incredible but thats rubbish, the girl was average at best. you could say misha's average but compare her to most girls who audition and she's up there with the best (no leona, alex, ruth or laura white mind, but still a good vocalist).
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And this whole 'not black enough' angle you opened with is incredibly insulting, to people of any colour.
    I think you'll find blue people couldn't give a f***... ;)
    Misha was not that good.

That probably ranks alongside "Hitler was a little unfriendly" in the understatement stakes....
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't wish to be rude, but I suspect that those people in the media that think Misha wasn't supported because she was black are the sort of people who have never supported a white contestant and think everyone pays the same attention to the colour of a singer's skin as they do.

It's a total non issue for 99% of the population.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rob1989 wrote: »
    I know what mixed race is i'm pointing out that there is little point asking is it a race issue if we have had so many finalists of different races who have got there on the merit of their talent not because of their race.

There will always be someone struggles to get votes for a number of reasons either connection, lack of airtime or their mentor giving them songs that are predictable or boring there is always a contestant every year who will struggle to get votes it's nothing to do with their race it's just the public haven't backed them for one reason or another.

But the public (who will mostly be white) ought to watch and be influenced by the right things. VTs and airtime are irrelevant. its the performance that counts. also black acts generally are not well remembered unless they give a blindingly good performance, i.e. treyc cohen - week one - the best performance of the night (i think simon said that), but didnt top the votes or get near the top 3 (notice those who were below her, were either joke acts or were the worst singers). black acts are quite forgettable to white audiences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Amaretto2 wrote: »
    I don't wish to be rude, but I suspect that those people in the media that think Misha wasn't supported because she was black are the sort of people who have never supported a white contestant and think everyone pays the same attention to the colour of a singer's skin as they do.

It's a total non issue for 99% of the population.

a conscious non issue. but its a very strong and important subconscious issue. there were also white people who said it in the media. also for the most part in the show, there have been a handful of white contestants with good voices compared to the black contestants. some black contestants were awful, but not those who make the lives. the black finalists can all sing well, whereas you cant say that for the white finalists. they cant be sub par, but the white contestants can be (frankie, lloyd daniels, ricky loney etc.) oh and its a non issue for 80% of the population. and that being the white population.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone else has just done some stats that show that only about 4% of the UK population are black but 43% of the X factor winners are black. But you still think that black people are under represented?

What % of black winners would you want to see to convince you that the voting is not racist?
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    she clearly could sing. she just needed training, as she had many bad habits (as kelly pointed out). her bad habits also made her voice seem harsh too. people said janet was incredible but thats rubbish, the girl was average at best. you could say misha's average but compare her to most girls who audition and she's up there with the best (no leona, alex, ruth or laura white mind, but still a good vocalist).

Well obviously Janet was a far worse singer overrated and nowhere near to incredible. Definition of average and bland. She's an example of the bias but it doesn't contradict Misha not being all that.
    She had a harsh tone and didn't really change her vocal delivery and emotion for the next song
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    bob_fossil wrote: »
    Surely it was just a judgement of character, the same way you judged Kitty as 'crazy' and that she people rubbed up the wrong way because of this. It's the same kind of judgement of personality.

No kitty started babling at her audition and even the judges were like wtf and then jumped into a pool at judges houses and everyone was like wats wrong with her. Misha hasnt done anything
  • Options
    masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »
    I think you'll find blue people couldn't give a f***... ;)

That probably ranks alongside "Hitler was a little unfriendly" in the understatement stakes....

.. and she was nowhere near as bad as you make out
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Someone else has just done some stats that show that only about 4% of the UK population are black but 43% of the X factor winners are black. But you still think that black people are under represented?

What % of black winners would you want to see to convince you that the voting is not racist?

no, only one winner has been black. black and mixed race are NOT THE SAME THING! why can people not understand and distinguish this? its not under representation thats the issue, its support and appeal. there are 1m black people to 55m white people. and if 15m people (minimum) vote, then every black person in the Uk would have to vote to keep that black act in the competition. but by week 4, the black act would also need support from the white population to succeed and win, and that doesnt happen, most of the time.

JLS got there because of looks, alexandra got lucky (she almost was in the bottom 2 several times by a few percent) and by default won by being the best act left after the quarter finals. leona was the best singer in her year. LM won due to bullygate, which misha would have really given them a run for their money if she'd made the final (marcus was nice but had to compete against the whole 'first group to make the final/could be the first group to win' promo.) the acts i've mentioned hardly were urban like Jay-Z/Kanye or chipmunk/Miss dynamite. There were almost the complete opposite.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    callym1980 wrote: »
    Have we ever had a white female winner?

Little mix?????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pjay1 wrote: »
    No kitty started babling at her audition and even the judges were like wtf and then jumped into a pool at judges houses and everyone was like wats wrong with her. Misha hasnt done anything

yes. people seem to forget this. kitty WANTED people to not like her, she wanted to be controversial like lady gaga. what she forgot was that gaga was popular with her debut, because the music was good and hot on trend. the club scene ruled the charts in late 2008/the whole of 2009 (single ladies, just dance, poker face). then gaga changed and became odd with her fashion and drew attention at every turn. her music became her and her life. kitty wanted to be odd, and in turn looked odd and even slightly crazy, even though she wasn't.

misha was disliked for being her, she never did anything to offend.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do black people have to vote for black people? Can't they just vote for whoever they think has the best voice?

I belong in the 'other race' category. If I had to vote for someone of the same race as me I wouldn't have anyone to vote for at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well obviously Janet was a far worse singer overrated and nowhere near to incredible. Definition of average and bland. She's an example of the bias but it doesn't contradict Misha not being all that.
    She had a harsh tone and didn't really change her vocal delivery and emotion for the next song

I wouldnt say misha was average - strong mid register, powerhouse singer. nicesounding upper register, not used a lot but when used correctly was beautiful, average lower register. had bad habits that made her voice sound harsh (ie. 'heearrh' that kelly showed in week 2's VT when misha sung purple rain - bullygate starts. I think she struggled to change her vocal delivery because she didnt know how. the time she changed it was during 'i have nothing' and 'who you are' - in the latter she started in her upper mid register and it was a breath of fresh air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why do black people have to vote for black people? Can't they just vote for whoever they think has the best voice?

I belong in the 'other race' category. If I had to vote for someone of the same race as me I wouldn't have anyone to vote for at all.

they dont thats the point. if black people dont vote for black people (youre talking as if the UK is full of us :D:rolleyes: 1m remember??) and neither do many white people, then that act leaves the competition. we've discussed this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ino, only one winner has been black. black and mixed race are NOT THE SAME THING! why can people not understand and distinguish this? its not under representation thats the issue, its support and appeal. there are 1m black people to 55m white people. and if 15m people (minimum) vote, then every black person in the Uk would have to vote to keep that black act in the competition. but by week 4, the black act would also need support from the white population to succeed and win, and that doesnt happen, most of the time.

JLS got there because of looks, alexandra got lucky (she almost was in the bottom 2 several times by a few percent) and by default won by being the best act left after the quarter finals. leona was the best singer in her year. LM won due to bullygate, which misha would have really given them a run for their money if she'd made the final (marcus was nice but had to compete against the whole 'first group to make the final/could be the first group to win' promo.) the acts i've mentioned hardly were urban like Jay-Z/Kanye or chipmunk/Miss dynamite. There were almost the complete opposite.
    Alexandra burke is mixed race?, well depending on how you view the term: She's a quarter Indian, a quarter Irish, a quarter Jamaican/African and........ a quarter English.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1265949/Mixed-race-people-attractive-finds-British-study.html
    Daily mail even count her as mixed lol.

Anyway Tulisa' s driven bullygate really did major damage on Misha, it is the major factor IMO. They are other issues of course, but the bullygate is on the no1 on the list: Character Assasination.
  • Options
    GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .. and she was nowhere near as bad as you make out
    Huge swathes of every song were virtually unintelligible, the remainder shouted and only punctuated by the odd bum note... She had zero finesse or musicality and it was every bit as bad as I "make out"...

There isn't a single example in this thread of a "singer" who didn't get the support their talent or lack of deserved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gneiss wrote: »
    Huge swathes of every song were virtually unintelligible, the remainder shouted and only punctuated by the odd bum note... She had zero finesse or musicality and it was every bit as bad as I "make out"...

There isn't a single example in this thread of a "singer" who didn't get the support their talent or lack of deserved.

laura white?? ruth lorenzo? treyc cohen?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Damian10 wrote: »
    Alexandra burke is mixed race?, well depending on how you view the term: She's a quarter Indian, a quarter Irish, a quarter Jamaican/African and........ a quarter English.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1265949/Mixed-race-people-attractive-finds-British-study.html
    Daily mail even count her as mixed lol.

Anyway Tulisa' s driven bullygate really did major damage on Misha, it is the major factor IMO. They are other issues of course, but the bullygate is on the no1 on the list: Character Assasination.

yes i know she's mixed race by genealogy, but physically, people would think she's black. only thing that sorta gives it away is her *ahem* roman nose ;):D
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Sweendog94 wrote: »
    it seems like one of those things that happens alot on the show well.... minus alexandra

Have you actually watched the Xfactor over the years.

Black women account for about 5% of the UK population - yet have won the show twice (five times their relative population share).

A white female soloist has never won the show in 8 seasons - despite white women accounting for nearly 50% of the UK population.

On the basis of the facts - presumably X factor voters are racist against white women!:rolleyes:

Or maybe people just vote on talent and who they like the most!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    no, only one winner has been black. black and mixed race are NOT THE SAME THING! why can people not understand and distinguish this? its not under representation thats the issue, its support and appeal. there are 1m black people to 55m white people. and if 15m people (minimum) vote, then every black person in the Uk would have to vote to keep that black act in the competition. but by week 4, the black act would also need support from the white population to succeed and win, and that doesnt happen, most of the time.

So when black acts don't win - its racism

And when they do - its cos they are good looking or lucky?:rolleyes: