Virgin freezing my modem for 30 minutes at a time!!!!! Extreme traffic management.

Ok for the past couple of months I have had some strange problems with Virgin, i'm on an XL broadband package and have been upgraded from 60 to 100mb, however whilst I have no speed complaints I do have some weird management complaints. I can surf, netflix etc with no problems but every now and again I loose my connection for no reason at all, no amounts of reboots will reset even though all the lights are on. I have worked out what it is, I am using Supernews and SABnzb when I start downloading (during the evening mostly) my connection dies. So I started making a few notes. It seems this is extreme traffic management from Virgin I have noted that each disconnection lasts EXACTLY 30 mins and have timed this on several occasions to the second. Tonight had been surfing since 5, then started sabnzb at 6.20pm. By 6.24 I had downloaded over gig and pop total disconnect cannot access anything, I kept rebooting the modem (about 20 times) but I knew the result before it happened, at 6.54 it rebooted and I could access the internet again. This has to be Virgin and I would like to hear a response? I'm not against traffic management but killing my service is a joke. Not to mention that XL originally had no management according to my contract. Anyone else getting this.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are aware that this site has nothing whatsoever to do with Virgin Media so you will not get a response from them on here.

That is not traffic management as you only lose speed in your case reduced by half which would not be that bad, you are losing your connection so the is more likely to be a fault on your connection which will require you to ring Technical Support on 151 from a Virgin Media phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line or mobile phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petey286 wrote: »
    You are aware that this site has nothing whatsoever to do with Virgin Media so you will not get a response from them on here.

You gotta let us vent Pete:D Ive been venting plenty about VM in recent weeks!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You gotta let us vent Pete:D Ive been venting plenty about VM in recent weeks!!
    Pointless on this forum though.:eek::p
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not entirely pointless Pete.

I know that this is not a VM forum but someone might have had this issue before and be able to tell them how to fix an issue without contacting VM.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R410 wrote: »
    Not entirely pointless Pete.

I know that this is not a VM forum but someone might have had this issue before and be able to tell them how to fix an issue without contacting VM.
    The only fix is to call up and find out if it is just an area fault or an engineer is required, also you can tell from the post that the assumption is that this is a Virgin Media forum which it is not therefore as above pointless.

You want a quick fix then either ring in or try the community forum as both will be quicker than waiting for an answer on here.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    Actually the OP might be having extreme Traffic management.

If you consistently download/stream way too much, you get a warning by post. if you do no heed that warning they can in some cases cut you off.

supernews is usenet and I believe if you are downloading lots on that during peak times and netflix'ing as well this can be detected. if used on a daily basis they will throttle you.

you not received a letter? it might be coming in the post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you consistently download/stream way too much, you get a warning by post. if you do no heed that warning they can in some cases cut you off.

supernews is usenet and I believe if you are downloading lots on that during peak times and netflix'ing as well this can be detected. if used on a daily basis they will throttle you.

Traffic management does not make your modem cut out that is a fault so sorry you are wrong about extreme trafficmanagement as it does not exist.:eek::confused::rolleyes:
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    petey286 wrote: »
    Traffic management does not make your modem cut out that is a fault so sorry you are wrong about extreme trafficmanagement as it does not exist.:eek::confused::rolleyes:

it doesn't your right, however, if VM deem that you are downloading too much they can cut you off just like that.

Not saying its a fault because it can be, and most likely is.

However they can cut your config in your superhub just like that.

To the OP, when it does this, what colour is the DOCSIS Light? (the top one) is it blue or green?

if its green and the middle led is also green and steady then you are online but CUT, if its blue then the line is there but a problem.

if that middle LED thats green is blinking then there is a sync issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it doesn't your right, however, if VM deem that you are downloading too much they can cut you off just like that.

Not saying its a fault because it can be, and most likely is.

However they can cut your config in your superhub just like that.

To the OP, when it does this, what colour is the DOCSIS Light? (the top one) is it blue or green?

if its green and the middle led is also green and steady then you are online but CUT, if its blue then the line is there but a problem.

if that middle LED thats green is blinking then there is a sync issue.
    It does not happen like that unless it is a fault, if they were to cut you off the would be a stream of warning letters and you would just lose your connection completely not sporadically.

I did work for them as a broadband technical advisor until made redundant from the Albert Dock last February and little has changed since then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    I've been getting exactly the same thing except mine goes off for about 15 minutes at a time.

My light at the top is blue, I'll call 151 later.
  • whohasmynameukwhohasmynameuk Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Last year I discovered Netflix and after having it for a month and a half & using websites like nzbmatrix we got a letter thought the post saying we had become heavy users so I got ride of Netflix. As nzbmatrix went boobs up the other month I signed back up to Netflix unfortunately some else in the house has discovered bit torrent and there has diffenatly been a drop in speed/quality so I'm expecting another letter real soon lol.
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: Knowing what exactly is too much would be a big help to all of us,but don't spose Virgin would like people to know.....
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madfish wrote: »
    Ok for the past couple of months I have had some strange problems with Virgin, i'm on an XL broadband package and have been upgraded from 60 to 100mb, however whilst I have no speed complaints I do have some weird management complaints. I can surf, netflix etc with no problems but every now and again I loose my connection for no reason at all, no amounts of reboots will reset even though all the lights are on. I have worked out what it is, I am using Supernews and SABnzb when I start downloading (during the evening mostly) my connection dies. So I started making a few notes. It seems this is extreme traffic management from Virgin I have noted that each disconnection lasts EXACTLY 30 mins and have timed this on several occasions to the second. Tonight had been surfing since 5, then started sabnzb at 6.20pm. By 6.24 I had downloaded over gig and pop total disconnect cannot access anything, I kept rebooting the modem (about 20 times) but I knew the result before it happened, at 6.54 it rebooted and I could access the internet again. This has to be Virgin and I would like to hear a response? I'm not against traffic management but killing my service is a joke. Not to mention that XL originally had no management according to my contract. Anyone else getting this.

you realise that nntp is heavily managed during the evening, it applies to all service levels including XL. On the website it there is no minimum they will manage you to.

Two things, set sab up to kick off downloads after midnight and second, I have heard that if you throttle nntp to less then 50% of your max bandwidth then VM won't traffic manage you though I can't confirm this.
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you read this?
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fenlander wrote: »
    Have you read this?

Some people are saying its helps, others (like myself) not so much. In reality VM know if you are connecting to a usenet provider by IP address. SSL won't help in that situation.

The biggest factor that I am aware of is simply how congested your area is.