Dead Famous DNA- Channel 4

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
Forum Member
✭✭
The programme was trying to prove the authenticity of bones and hairs which allegedly belonged to Hitler by comparing them to the DNA from one of his living relatives. They had also managed to find a hairbrush which was supposedly found in Hitlers holiday home in the Alpines which was monogrammed with Eva Braun's initials. The provenance of this hairbrush meant that they were pretty certain it was Eva's hairbrush and the hair strands on it were hers. Through DNA tests they were able to prove that Eva had Jewish blood!

Did anyone else watch this fascinating programme?

Comments

• JillstarJillstar Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it really interesting, although I think they should have just stuck to the Hitler & Darwin DNA stories since the Darwin DNA result turned out to be interesting and the story of the murky world of Nazi relics & body parts was fascinating although pretty disturbing.
    The Elvis DNA didn't tell us anything we hadn't really guessed before, it seemed pretty likely he would have had heart problems anyway when he died.
    I think if they had got Hitler's DNA I don't think it would have told us much about his personality and what led him to do what he did. Although I'm no historian, from what I've read I think Hitlers views and actions were heavily influenced by his own experiences & world events like WW1. Maybe he could have had strong personality types which affected the way he reacted, but I really doubt Hitler was born evil - I don't think anyone is.
    I thought it was sad that his distant relatives decided not to have their own children, seemingly out of fear that they could create another Adolf Hitler :(
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im watching this on plus one quite interesting actually there talking about cloning .I think its kinda disturbing that they could clone someone like hitler :o because even though this person would look like him he'd never be him what an awful life he'd have. I can only hope that even if they could do do it they wouldnt do that to someone.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting but also creepy.
    That dentist talking about cloning John Lennon was disturbing.
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I fell asleep, but I can't recall them saying whether or not they got any DNA from Brando's tooth. Did I miss a bit?
  • mseven1mseven1 Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Interesting but also creepy.
    That dentist talking about cloning John Lennon was disturbing.

The dentist was assuming that every thing to do with John Lennon was due to his genes, in reality people's personality and what they are known for is also due to their upbringing. Although he would look similar without the same upbringing and life experiences his personality and talent would be different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    Maybe I fell asleep, but I can't recall them saying whether or not they got any DNA from Brando's tooth. Did I miss a bit?

I think they said there wasn't enough DNA in it
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mseven1 wrote: »
    I think they said there wasn't enough DNA in it

OK, cheers.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,855
    Forum Member
    Any cloned Hitler (if it were to happen) would be on a hiding to nothing. He'd have to be isolated for life in order to keep himself away from fanatics and people wanting to kill him. Through no fault of his own.

As has been said, it is likely the real Hitler's behaviour was influenced by his surroundings and experiences and very little to do with DNA.

More discussion in the other thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smiley433 wrote: »
    Any cloned Hitler (if it were to happen) would be on a hiding to nothing. He'd have to be isolated for life in order to keep himself away from fanatics and people wanting to kill him. Through no fault of his own.

As has been said, it is likely the real Hitler's behaviour was influenced by his surroundings and experiences and very little to do with DNA.

More discussion in the other thread.

I remember there was a documentary about Hitler's life and his evil was said to have come from his life. He wanted to be an artist and was told he wasn't good enough and he had many vendettas against different people.
  • jw2011jw2011 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a good show, but I think that the Hitler investigation took over from the rest of the show. They should have aired all the other celebrities together in the first two shows and kept the Hitler part for the last episode.

Other than that I found it really, really interesting.