Options

Artem joins DWTS (allegedly)

Comments

• Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCD would not be the same for me if Artem was not in the show.His dancing and choreography far surpasses any of the present professionals, he would be sadly missed

I truly hope he returns to the UK

Same here, but I could not blame him for wanting to go on to a better show, which DWTS certainly is.

I expect that kid from Grimsby and big, burly Robin would be happy to see the back of him. He shows them up all the time :D He's so much better than them!
  • Options
    AmSalt12AmSalt12 Posts: 4,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    Same here, but I could not blame him for wanting to go on to a better show, which DWTS certainly is.

I expect that kid from Grimsby and big, burly Robin would be happy to see the back of him. He shows them up all the time :D He's so much better than them!

Artem and Robin are very close friends so I hardly think that will be the case. Kevin also knows Artem well, so think your comments are unjust.
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they're good friends I understand. No back story there.

I quite like Artem as a personality. As a dancer and choreographer I think he is ok, but not outstanding, I think that given that we no longer have any top level professional dancers on Strictly (and probably don't need to have any given the nature of the show) then a refresh now and then is not a problem. I don't think the exit of any professional would kill the show or even be significantly detrimental, assuming that the replacement will be like for like.
  • Options
    ClartemClartem Posts: 2,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spin turn wrote: »
    Yes, they're good friends I understand. No back story there.

I quite like Artem as a personality. As a dancer and choreographer I think he is ok, but not outstanding, I think that given that we no longer have any top level professional dancers on Strictly (and probably don't need to have any given the nature of the show) then a refresh now and then is not a problem. I don't think the exit of any professional would kill the show or even be significantly detrimental, assuming that the replacement will be like for like.

I agree and disagree, the little I personally know of his personality is that he is kind and courteous.
    In my opinion his dancing and choreography are at another level, provided that his partner is capable of getting there Artem ican be outstanding. Artem leaving Strictly would be a major loss for me.
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »

Don't think many will agree with you I certainly wouldn't. SCD is one of the biggest show in the UK and DWTS has been cut to one show a week. DWTS is moving further & further away from it ballroom roots and is more style over substance.

Artem would be better off on strictly where he is one of the more well known pros whereas on dwts he will one of many with bigger name pros with larger fanbase examples being Derek, Mark, Val and Maks who usually gets the best female celebs. Artem usually gets one of the best females on scd even when he had Fearne she could move & wasnt the worst that year. Also dwts isn't exactly known for loyalty to its pros look at Tristan for example he found out just before the announcement that he wasn't on the show this season. Other examples include Lacey, Dmitry, chelsie the list could go on and on. With Strictly pros usually find out around May/June what is happening and there are very little changes last minute expect for extraordinary substances ie Anya/Emma or Aliona/Natalie whereas DWTS is very last minute.

Whatever happens it will be Artem's decision and I hope he makes the best one for him. If he leaves he leaves even though I like Artem a lot no one is bigger than the show and a lot of my favourite pros have left and I still love strictly.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know which I'd say is the better show but I think that DWTS is much closer to Artem's style. Lots of wafting and faffing about and almost nothing in dance hold.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Artem so I'll be sad to see him go but career-wise it's a no-brainer. The BBC doesn't pay the pro dancers very much and the opportunity to make more money isn't that great in a small country like the UK unless you're prepared to work your tush off like Vincent and my all time favourite, Flavia.
  • Options
    Daily DreamsDaily Dreams Posts: 1,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be a shame if we lost Artem :( I love his choreography and he's become a strong fixture within the professional dancing team now. His American Smooth with Holly Valance springs to mind as one of his best :kitty:
  • Options
    Cheryl423Cheryl423 Posts: 1,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame that Artem won't be on the show; his choreography has been ahead of the others and I hope that standards don't drop as a result. I always felt the others had to raise their game when he was competing.
  • Options
    peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm saddened but not surprised that Artem will be staying in the US with DWTS. Getting a visa to work here was an annual frustration and the opportunities to make a living from dancing are more limited in the UK. Yes, the more well-known Strictly pros have their own tours, dance studios and cameo appearances, but it must be a hand-to-mouth existence.

I will miss him - his brilliant dancing, his lovely Russian arms and hands (I loved the wafting, truth be told) and the madly innovative choreography. No, it wasn't strictly ballroom, but it was supremely entertaining.
  • Options
    MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gutted - Artem was my fav pro along with James whose also gone :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A huge loss to Strictly imo. I assume it means he's been offered a contract on DwtS, but I don't think they confirm anything util they have their celebs signed up. I have to say, DwtS feels like a show on its way out, so I hope he can make hay while the sun shines ... and gets paid shed loads :blush:.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Not surprised as kind of expected a bit. Really hope this means he is a pro on DWTS S19 and will be given a good partner to be successful in the show. I will be supporting him as much as possible if he does DWTS. Sounds like you can vote from the UK somehow.

Thinking about his visa situation and work opportunities in the US, if he can do DWTS, it would be far better for his career/life. It won't be so easy to shine among those equally talented pro dancers on DWTS so being a troupe on the show this time was a good chance for him to observe and learn things on DWTS. Hope his decision will prove to be correct and every luck in the world will be his side.

He is/has been the only pro I love to watch on SCD, not sure if I will continue to watch SCD now.
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    A huge loss to Strictly imo. I assume it means he's been offered a contract on DwtS, but I don't think they confirm anything util they have their celebs signed up. I have to say, DwtS feels like a show on its way out, so I hope he can make hay while the sun shines ... and gets paid shed loads :blush:.

Completely Agree. Take it this means he has been offered a pro spot with Derek/Maks leaving and Tristan :) coming here but this is never a guarantee with DWTS. Not surprised by the decision but hope he has made the right one Sad he has left but it was his decision & he made it.
  • Options
    tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gutted hes left scd

does his move mean hes no longer with kara
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    I was unimpressed with Artem's choreography for Natalie last year - he basically rehashed a lot of his choreography for Kara - and, while it was new and fresh with Kara, I found it very tired and uninspiring with Natalie. I think Artem's dance style - lots of wafting about and very little in dance hold - is far better suited to DWTS than Strictly.

I think Tristan will be a very good addition to the pro lineup.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im surprised he stayed as long as he did to be honest.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    memmh wrote: »
    I was unimpressed with Artem's choreography for Natalie last year - he basically rehashed a lot of his choreography for Kara - and, while it was new and fresh with Kara, I found it very tired and uninspiring with Natalie. I think Artem's dance style - lots of wafting about and very little in dance hold - is far better suited to DWTS than Strictly.

I think Tristan will be a very good addition to the pro lineup.

Same here, I was irritated by his choreographies that were too far away from the tradition, to the point you could not tell what they were 'inspired' by. I will miss his teeth though :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gutted he won't be back this year.
    Will miss his wonderful innovative choreography.
    A big loss to the show. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheryl423 wrote: »
    Shame that Artem won't be on the show; his choreography has been ahead of the others and I hope that standards don't drop as a result. I always felt the others had to raise their game when he was competing.

So true Cheryl. He really is on another level. I will miss him but I am glad he is going on to better things.

SCD on the other hand, isn't, but I expect we die hards will watch it anyway for the small moments of joy as we fast forward the truly awful bits! :D

Shame Anton is still there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im surprised he stayed as long as he did to be honest.

Me too. He is so much better than the average ballroom dancer.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sad to see him go as I don't mind his wafty kind of choreography though last year it did irritate me a bit. They'll also have to invest in a few more sparkles now we won't have his teeth reflecting the lights :D

:D:D:D:D < tribute to Artem
  • Options
    ArtemsGirlArtemsGirl Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    I am so gutted Artem won't be back he is my fav hence my name!
  • Options
    MoonbeanMoonbean Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will miss Artem as he is a good dancer, but I disagree that he's better than all the other pros - Brendan and James are really good at pushing their partners to get the best out of them too, and Aliona's choreography is always original and fun.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gutted at the lovely Artem leaving Strictly.:(:cry: